Peter Gregory MA(Ed), UKCP Registered
Nuffield Health Wessex Hospital
4 Station Road
Hello and welcome.
I am a UKCP-registered psychotherapist with over 20 years experience of providing a range of approaches to help people overcome life's difficulties.
Having a "tool box" of therapy approaches and techniques can help you to gain a good understanding of your difficulties - whatever they may be - and to know how to create change. With this approach, therapy can really make sense, will be safe, and sets the scene for you to to talk about life issues that are worrying you.
By doing this, we can build our therapeutic relationship - essential for a sound basis for therapy, and a combination many people find helpful.
I am trained to work with couples and individuals.
For couples and individuals it is important therapy goes at the right speed - not too slow as this can undermine motivation, nor too fast as this can lead to the changes made not being strong enough to stay in place. To help ensure therapy is going at the right pace, I will often review progress after a few sessions - it helps to keep on track and enables clients to see what differences have been made.
- Your first appointment - what to expect:
Your first appointment is an assessment session that gives you the opportunity to ask questions and talk about difficulties you're experiencing. With this in mind, it's important you feel comfortable and able to discuss what's troubling you and I will endeavour to make sure you feel safe and listened-to. Typically, the session starts with me introducing myself - perhaps giving information about my practice that's relevant to you, and answering any questions you have.
I will then ask questions which give me information as to what you would like to achieve in therapy - this helps me to gain a picture of the background to your difficulties, current and past. In my experience, clients often find it helpful to initially focus on resolving current difficulties - once this is achieved, clients are often more able to cope with the exploration of deeper, and perhaps, more painful, issues.
- My Approaches:
To try and provide the best service, I am able to work at different levels to suit client needs. This means I can work with current difficulties as well as deeper underlying traits.
- I often use mindfulness - an approach using meditation to gain awareness without being judgemental. This, with practise, can help reduce stress, pain, and improve concentration and self management. Many people find this approach to be helpful. This is used in NHS psychological therapy services.
- EMDR: This is a technique that can be very helpful in reducing, or eliminating, the effects of intrusive memories i.e. trauma. It is also useful to help those suffering from OCD.
- CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy): this is useful to address conditions such as depression and anxiety. It helps people to change negative thoughts, feelings, beliefs and assumptions.
- Psychodynamic: Looking at the unconscious processes (or programming) that influence thinking, beliefs and behaviour.
I can see you at one of three locations:
4 Station Road
Nuffield Health Wessex Hospital
The Nuffield Health Wessex Hospital is just off junction 12 of the M3. Free parking. Reception area with tea, coffee and water available
The Romney Centre
61 The Avenue
Free parking is available behind the Romney Centre.
- Additional Information
- I have undergone an enhanced DBS check, enabling me to work with vulnerable adults.
- I am listed with private medical health insurers as a provider of psychotherapy services. Please contact me for further details.
- I am also registered with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) for data protection.
- The next steps...
If you're ready to talk about what's worrying you, please call me on 07752 866550, visit my website www.therapynow.clinic, or email me.
I look forward to speaking to you.
Training, qualifications & experience
- MA (Ed): Psychosexual therapy, bereavement and loss, cancer
- Diploma in Psychosexual Therapy
- EMDR levels 1 and 2
I am a UKCP (United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy) registered psychotherapist. UKCP is a body that has high standards of training - the minimum qualification is completion of an approved course with a Masters degree. Registration with UKCP is an important indicator of professional standing.
In addition to being a registered UKCP Psychotherapist, I am also Accredited with COSRT (College of Sexual and Relationship Therapists).
Both UKCP and COSRT require me to receive regular clinical supervision and undergo annual continued professional development.
I formerly worked in the NHS in the following settings:
1. Psychosexual therapy clinic. Referrals from GPs and psychology services.
2. Fertility treatment clinic (part of GUM).
3. Primary Care - providing psychological therapy to treat a wide variety of conditions including depression, anxiety, OCD, bereavement, sexual abuse, trauma.
Consultant Psychotherapist at the Nuffield Health Wessex Hospital.
Senior Associate of the Royal Society of Medicine.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Borderline personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I present workshops on a variety of topics including:
1. Using mindfulness in clinical practice.
2. Bereavement and loss.
3. Psychosocial change and illness.
4. Psychosexual therapy.
5. Couple therapy.
6. Self-preservation for therapists.
7. Thinking about Forgiveness
I provide clinical supervision.
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
My hourly (60 minutes) fee for individuals and couples at the Romney Centre, Southampton is £65.00.
My hourly fee at the Wessex Nuffield Hospital is £75.00.
My hourly fee at Warminster is £60.00
I offer both day and evening appointments.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Appointments available during day and evenings.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training