Paul Vivian MBACP BA (Hons)
Hi, I'm Paul. My counselling service is based around giving you a safe, confidential and non-judgemental space to talk about whatever is on your mind. People see a counsellor for a number of reasons, and if you are unsure about whether my service is for you then please give me a call or send me an email and I will be happy to discuss what I can offer.
I trained initially as a person-centred counsellor, which means that I work in a non-directive way, leaving you to lead the sessions with me helping you to focus on and work through the things that are important for you to look at. I will also offer you the opportunity to use 'tools' such as emotion cards and mind maps which can provide a great way of highlighting feelings and life events which you could benefit from exploring. As I said though, if you are unsure please don't worry, I work at the pace you choose and am happy to focus on areas of the process you feel don't make sense. In this way you will have the best opportunity of getting a positive overall outcome.
Our sessions will be fifty minutes long, and can continue for a few weeks, or last for many months depending on what you need. Once a week suits some people, where for others leaving a longer gap between our meetings is better. We will discuss all aspects of your needs at our first meeting, and if you wish to change aspects of our working relationship at any time then there will be regular reviews to check you are happy with how things are.
I see clients in near Plymouth city centre where I have a comfortable counselling room. I am also happy to visit you at home if that would be more suitable for your needs.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Level 4 Higher Educational Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling.
- Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Studies.
- Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills.
- Level 3 Award in Training and Education.
- Single Honours Degree in Philosophy.
- Workshop on Understanding Substance Misuse.
- Training day on Dissociative Identity Disorder.
- Workshop on understanding approaches to working with sexual abuse issues.
- Young Devon - providing counselling for young people.
- SALT Southwest - providing counselling for clients who have suffered sexual abuse. Also running introductory workshops for those who wish to understand the effects of sexual abuse.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Emotional abuse
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
I currently charge £35.00 per session.
I charge a reduced rate of £20 for our first meeting.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client