• Home
  • >Patrick Belas BSc MSW MA UKCP Registered

About me

Thank you for your interest in my profile.

Here is some information which I hope will help you find a suitable counsellor or psychotherapist.

I welcome questions from visitors.

If you are uncertain about how to choose to see someone an initial phone call and/or face to face meeting may help with the decision. Trusting your judgement  can often be best.


Employed as a Family and Systemic Psychotherapist (also called Family Therapist) in the NHS for 15 years I became Head of Family Psychotherapy in Hampshire's Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS). I have 40 years of working with children, families, parents, adults as well as supervising other professionals, setting up courses, Teaching,  running and developing specialist clinical services (eg CAMHS Eating Disorders).


BSc honours degree in Psychology and MA in Family Psychotherapy from the Tavistock Clinic, London. I hold a Post Graduate Qualification as a Supervisor when I studied at the University of Surrey.

I am fully qualified and registered with the main national registering body (United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy - UKCP) as a Family and Systemic Psychotherapy and as a Supervisor. In addition I am listed on UKCP's separate register for those working with children and young people under 18. (If you want to know more this please see the section *below).

My interests focus on people's relationship issues, dilemmas or difficulties and how these affect or are affected by their worries or difficulties.  Uncovering possible strengths and resources around us and actively considering newer ways of thinking/behaving can be useful routes to better management of our lives and locating new solutions to old problems. This is partly what Family Therapists bring to counselling and therapy.

I have spent many years closely attending to how and what people say in order to understand in more detail their experiences and views on problems, their abilities, and what available support (or lack of) from family, friends and wider relationships have been available. Also finding out what people have tried so far with what effects is key to understanding each person's unique situation.

After such a process,  a more tailored approach to supporting realistic and effective change, adjustment choices or just a better understanding is possible.

Difficulties like anxiety, depression, family, couple and personal relationship problems can in some instances be intrusive to our day to day lives and may edge us towards considering professional support.  I can help. I also see people where longer term traumas such as surviving sexual or physical abuse or neglectful/damaging relationships may significantly impact on our health and wellbeing as well as those we care about. These are highly personal and sensitive matters in which I have substantial experience and training.

I have continued to develop special areas of interest. Currently, these include

- working with families where the relationship between adult children and parents/guardians (sometimes  involving grandparents too) have been cut off or are particularly complicated.

- helping parents help their children, when they feel that past or current marital difficulties  have had a detrimental affect upon them and their attempts so far to help have been limited or appear to have made matters worse.

- Couples work

Sometimes people don't have a clear problem or reason for wanting to see a counsellor or therapist, but may just feel unfulfilled, bored or moody, wanting to find new ways to just "be," to be able to develop as a person, or learn from previous "mistakes." These too can be a basis for seeking counselling or therapy.

I offer to see families, couples, parents, friends and individuals depending on what people think might be better for them.


For professionals working in Health, Community or Charitable organisations who are seeking general support or supervision, I can be of service. I have provided this to a wide variety of colleagues from very different trainings, disciplines and backgrounds, as well as qualified Family Psychotherapists over many years both in my NHS work and privately. If uncertain whether I may be of help, I'd welcome a message or any questions.

Finally, I hope the above goes some way in helping you decide which of the registered counsellors, psychotherapists or Supervisors you may consider talking to as a next step.

Although my phone is often busy I dop regularly check my email and try to respond within 2 working days. So please contact me if you think I could be of further help in your search.

Patrick Belas

*     Only those who are so qualified and registered with UKCP specifically as a Family Psychotherapist or Family Therapist meet the high standards which the NHS in particular set for those calling themselves or providing Family Therapy. The NHS will not employ anyone for such a specialist post without proof of such an advanced training and specific upto date UKCP registration. I think this is important because individuals with UKCP registration as a Family Therapist have:

  • undertaken a minimum number of hours in seeing families including children for therapy so are experienced and have been independently assessed as evidencing minimum standards concerning their knowledge, skills level and ethics.
  • attended a minimum number of hours per year additional training directly related to Family Therapy (ie they keep their work upto date with developments in the field)
  • been meeting with a senior and registered Family Therapist on a regular basis to discuss their work and address training and professional developmental needs
  • agreed to an ethical code of practice
  • to be answerable to the public, employers and UKCP for any complaints made about them. There is a formal process for such complaints and the more serious if proven can lead to de-registration from UKCP

Training, qualifications & experience

  • BSc (hons) Psychology
  • Masters Degree in Social Work
  • MA Degree in Family and Systemic Psychotherapy (Tavistock Clinic London)
  • Post Graduate Qualification in Supervision and Consultation (studied at University of Surrey)
  • Training and experience covering of 40 years with children, parents and families in NHS and Local Authority specialist teams.
  • Just under 30 years of working within a number of NHS multidisciplinary specialist child and adolescent mental health teams (CAMHS) in London and Hampshire.
  • Joint leadership of an Eating Disorders Team
  • Head of Family Psychotherapy
  • I retired from the NHS ion 2017 but had simultaneously ran a small Independent Psychotherapy service in Hampshire since 2000. I saw Families, Parents, Couples and Individuals
  • Professional supervision and consultation to others have also formed a significant part of my work. Those I have helped have included family psychotherapist, counsellors, therapists, nurses, doctors, teachers, and those working as carers, in all aspects of their work.

Member organisations

Registered / Accredited

Registered / Accredited

Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.


UK Council for Psychotherapy

The UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) is a leading professional body for the education, training and regulation of psychotherapists and psychotherapeutic counsellors. Its register is accredited by the government's Professional Standards Authority.

As part of its commitment to protect the public, it works to improve access to psychotherapy, to support and disseminate research, to improve standards and to respond effectively to complaints against its members.

UKCP standards cover the range of different psychotherapies. Registration is obtained by training or accrediting with one of its member organisations, or by holding a European Certificate in Psychotherapy. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.

Accredited register membership

UK Council for Psychotherapy

Accredited Register Scheme

The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).

This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.

Therapies offered

  • Couples counselling
  • Family/systemic therapy
  • Integrative
  • Person-centred therapy
  • Psychodynamic therapy
  • Solution focused brief therapy

Photos & videos


Concessions offered for

  • Keyworkers
  • OAPs
  • Students
  • Trainee counsellors

Additional information

£100 for initial appointment

£85 for follow up appointments

Free initial phone or email consultation


Please leave any messages or questions on my email. I check these daily on weekdays and try to reply within 2 working days.

Wisdom Centre
Wisdom House
SO51 8EL

Type of session

In person

Types of client

Young people
Older adults

Key details

Wheelchair user access

Wheelchair user access

Wheelchair-accessible premises should have step-free access for wheelchair users and individuals who are unable to climb stairs. If a counsellor's premises aren't step-free, they may offer alternative services such as telephone/web-based appointments, home visits, or meeting clients in different location, so you can choose the option that suits you best.

You can contact the counsellor to discuss the options available.

Under the Equality Act 2010 service providers have a duty to make reasonable adjustments to ensure that individuals with disabilities can access their service. You can read more about reasonable adjustments to help you to access services on the CAB website.

*Now providing a zoom based online service* The therapy room is in central Romsey, which is about 6 miles North of Southampton. It is fully wheelchair accessible as are all facillities. There is a receptionist and waiting area.


Online supervision
Telephone supervision

Are you are a counsellor, therapist, psychotherapist, doctor or other professional, including those in training, working with families  and finding it particularly challenging? This maybe a good moment to consider external support with a registered and qualified specialist Family and Systemic Psychotherapist who has a University post graduate qualification in Supervision and Consultation.

View supervision profile

Patrick Belas BSc MSW MA UKCP Registered

Patrick Belas BSc MSW MA UKCP Registered