Owen O'Toole MA, Dip. Counselling, MBACP
I work with clients in keeping with the principles of person-centred therapy, which involves being non-judgmental, showing empathy and putting the client's emotions at the forefront of the sessions. While working in this way I also draw on aspects of other approaches such as CBT, psychodynamic and solution-focused therapy. My role is to provide a safe, caring and professional environment where the client can discuss, in confidence, the issues that are troubling them and where together we can find a way for them to move forward positively.
I have counselled clients ranging from 5 to 70 years old and encountered many aspects of mental health, including lack of confidence, separation, substance dependence, anxiety, bullying, bereavement and many others. Nearly always at the core of the client's issue is loss of one kind or another. It can be painful working through this loss but if you feel that I can help you or someone close to you then please don't hesitate to contact me.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Diploma In Therapeutic Counselling.
- Certificate in Counselling
- Various shorter courses including such topics as depression, anxiety, self-harm, eating disorders, mental health, addiction, relationship issues and bereavement.
At present I work as follows:
1. Private Practice
2. School Counsellor in a local secondary school, where I see both students and adults. I have an enhanced DBS clearance (previously CRB)
3. Volunteer as a counsellor for a Children's Bereavement Service
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Adults: £50 per 50 minute session.
Young people and children: £40 per 50 minute session.
There is also a short 'Get to know the counsellor' where the client can ask questions and get a general idea of how the counselling sessions will be conducted. the charge for these 30 minute sessions will be £20.
Concessions for trainee counsellors.
I work from home where I live with my wife. I have a comfortable and professionally appointed counselling room.
For parents/carers there is a room where they can wait while their child is having counselling.
There is also parking room.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
The list of times below are when I am generally available. Tuesday and Wednesday- afternoon and evening Thursday- morning and afternoon Saturday morning.
Types of client