Norma Yam Registered Psychotherapist UKCP Accred, MBACP, FIP
I am a qualified and experienced psychotherapist and counsellor. (See website above.)
I have considerable experience of working in the public, private and voluntary sector. I work with depression and anxiety, as well as relationship issues, low self-esteem, lack of confidence and loneliness. I have over 20 years of specialist knowledge of working with individuals, couples and families.
I believe that the quality of life is important. Committing to therapy is a way of understanding and looking in-depth at your emotional well-being. Trusting your feelings and becoming aware of how they affect your physical and emotional life is very much about psychodynamic therapy. It is a way of recognising your inner world and overcoming problems from the past and present and looking forward to the future.
During a therapy session, we will look at the problems which you have brought, as well as the underlying issues. This means that whilst I listen to what you have said, I am also conscious of what is left unsaid. We will focus on this area and help to discover how you can gain insight into your deeper problems. We will also look in detail at your pre-dominant concerns and how these may be affected by stress and anxiety.
I work with a variety of problems, including:
Depression, marital problems (including separation and divorce,) bereavement and loss, conflict between families, partners, friends or colleagues, low self esteem, and how it affects work issues, lack of confidence, relationship difficulties and anxiety. I am a member of staff at a College for Psychotherapy and Counselling.
I am patient and calm, and whatever your reasons for coming into therapy, you will find me empathic and non-judgemental. What you say is confidential, and your views and feelings will be valued and respected.
A preliminary assessment will help you to understand how therapy will work for you. You are free to ask questions, decide if you feel comfortable with me, and understand how therapy can help resolve your worries and concerns. There is no obligation to continue with therapy unless you are happy to do so.
Emotional difficulties are often accompanied by depression and anxiety.
As a registered psychotherapist, I will listen and support you. I have many years experience of relationship issues, in addition to related difficulties of loss and loneliness. I can help you to make sense of your feelings and look at life in a different way. With mutual commitment, it will be possible to gain a deeper understanding of problems which may now seem overwhelming.
I can offer a professional approach, underpinned with a background of recognised training. Therapy will take place in a safe space, where you can share and express your feelings in a trusting and calm environment.
I am based in Cockfosters, EN4, and also in Finchley Central, N3.
Call or e-mail for an initial discussion.
I will be pleased to arrange an assessment without obligation.
Phone: 020 8441 5818
Training, qualifications & experience
- I trained in psychodynamic psychotherapy at WPF Therapy and psychoanalytic psychotherapy at The Association for Group and Individual Therapy (AGIP)
- I have a Postgraduate Diploma in psychodynamic theory and practice.
- Certificate of Higher Education in psychoanalytic psychology from Birkbeck College.
- Certificate in Counselling from The Lincoln Memorial Clinic for Psychotherapy.
- Diploma in social work, and a Certificate for qualified social workers (C.Q.S.W.) from Kingston University.
- I am registered with UKCP, BACP and The Federation of Independent Psychotherapists.
- I am a caseworker with The National Youth Advocacy Service.
- I have over 20 experience working with relationship problems.
- I have specialist experience of working with individuals, couples and families.
- Experience of working at a senior school counselling 11 - 18 year olds.
- Former member of staff at Enfield Counselling and Training College.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Attachment disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Physical abuse
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Family disputes during divorce and separation
- Residence and contact issues
- Psychotherapy/counselling for students and trainees
Initial consultation £50
Weekly fees from £55 - £70
Discretionary concessions available
I work from Cockfosters, Barnet, which is accessible by tube. (Piccadilly Line) and buses from Muswell Hill, Potters Bar and Hadley Wood. There are easy, free parking facilities.
I also see clients at Finchley Central, N3, which is also well served by public transport (Northern Line) and buses.The practice is situated within five minutes walk of the station.
In certain circumstances, e.g. poor health or child care issues, I am able to make home visits.
Assessments can be arranged at short notice, but by appointment only, in the first instance by telephone or e-mail.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am available Monday - Friday between 8.30 a.m - 8.p.m. by arrangement. In certain situations I am pleased to see clients at other times.
Types of client
Supervision & training
I am a qualified and experienced psychotherapist. I have over 20 years experience of working with personal relationships as well as anxiety, low self esteem and loss.View supervision profile