Nikki Offord, FdSc, Reg. MBACP (Accred)
Need some space to talk?
Maybe I can help? I’m Nikki, an experienced, compassionate and safe Humanistic Counsellor working with adults 18 plus.
I believe counselling is a valuable investment and that the relationship we have with ourselves is the most important one we will ever have. It takes commitment and work but I have seen counselling change lives.
My aim as a therapist is to offer you a confidential, non-judgemental and accepting space to explore whatever brought you to counselling. You might feel overwhelmed by your emotions or thoughts and counselling can help you to feel less alone, feel more connected with both yourself and others and rediscover your life again. I am gentle and compassionate but I will challenge my clients if I think it is therapeutically necessary.
I have worked in different settings in the past including the NHS as a Talking Therapies Counsellor, charities and a sixth form college.
My approach is an integrative one combining Person-Centred, Gestalt and Existential theories and particular areas I work with are depression and low mood; anxiety, generalised anxiety disorder, low self-esteem and lack of confidence, feeling sad that “I don’t know what’s wrong - I should be happy but I’m not” feeling; family issues, abuse - domestic, sexual, rape (male and female) and sexual violence; adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse; bullying; life changes and transitions including separation and divorce, relationship breakdown, loss, betrayal, bereavement, life changing illness; boarding school/ cared for childhood experiences; trauma; counselling students.
I am also trained by The Survivors’ Trust to offer Pre-Trial Therapy for victims or witnesses involved in rape or sexual abuse (inc historical abuse) cases where there is Police/CPS involvement.
However the list above is only a flavour of the work I do and we are all very different, so please do get in touch with me to discuss what is troubling you, even if the issue you are seeking counselling for is not on list.
It can be a bit daunting getting in touch - I know that - but if you send me an email as a first step, I will aim to respond within 24 hours and we can arrange a mutually convenient time for a free, no obligation 15 minute phone call so that you can get to know a bit more about me and I can also check that I am the right person to help you. From there, if you wish to proceed, we can arrange your first appointment. If phone calls are difficult for you, do let me know and we can work around that.
I work from comfortable and confidential rooms in both central Exeter and Lyme Regis in West Dorset, with a range of appointments to suit.
Clients I offer counselling to:
Adults of all ages from 18 years upwards
Long and short term, face to face counselling.
Thank you for taking the time to read my profile.
Please access my website for more information or send me an email
Training, qualifications & experience
- FdSc (Foundation Degree) Humanistic Counselling - University of Greenwich (BACP Accredited course)
- Certified Freedom Programme Facilitator
- Pre-Trial Therapy trained
Alongside my private practice, I also work within an NHS Primary Care Counselling service in Devon. I have previously also worked for the NHS in Surrey in an IAPT service as a Talking Therapies Counsellor (Step 3 High Intensity) where I specialised in working with Depression.
In the past I have worked as a Counsellor with adults in a local general counselling service, covering all types of presenting issues and also with adolescents aged 16-19 at a local college.
Prior to training as a Counsellor, I gained a wealth of experience in the domestic abuse field as a Support Worker, working for both a charity and a statutory agency. I am also a certified Freedom Programme Facilitator, trained to deliver the Freedom Programme individually and in groups. (The Freedom Programme is a psycho-educative programme for victims and survivors of domestic abuse).
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse
- Choices/decision making
- Counselling students
- Family problems
- Life changing circumstances
- Long term illness
- Men's issues
- Pre Trial therapy
- Post natal depression/baby blues
- Rape - male and female
- Still birth
- Women's issues
- Work problems
- I offer a free, no obligation 15 minute phone consultation so that you can find out more about how I work and if I might be the right therapist for you. Please contact me by phone, text or email to arrange this.
- My fees are £45 per 50 minutes session, payable by cash or bank transfer, except on the first session where payment should be in cash.
- I ask for a least 24 hours’ notice of cancellation of an appointment, otherwise I reserve the right to charge for the session.
I am fully insured and work according to the BACP Ethical Framework.
- As BACP Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist, I take part in monthly Supervision and regular continuous professional development to ensure safe, ethical, informed practice.
- Please see the BACP website to find out more about accredited status https://www.bacp.co.uk/membership/accreditation/
- I hold an Enhanced DBS Certificate.
- I am registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office to store my client’s relevant personal information confidentially, safely and ethically.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I work in Exeter on a Monday afternoon and evening offering a range of appointments to suit clients.
I work in Lyme Regis Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings and Friday in the day time.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|