Nikki Offord, FdSc, Reg. MBACP
Need some space to talk?
Maybe I can help? I’m Nikki, an experienced, compassionate and safe Humanistic Counsellor working with adults and young people aged 16-18.
This is what one of my clients said about our work together– “I wanted to thank you for all the work you have done with me…our sessions really have changed my life for the better… I will always be extremely grateful to you for your listening ear and support” (quote used with the client’s permission).
I believe counselling is a valuable investment and that the relationship we have with ourselves is the most important one we will ever have. It takes commitment and work but I have seen counselling change lives.
My aim as a therapist is to offer you a confidential, non-judgemental and accepting space to explore whatever brought you to counselling. You might feel overwhelmed by your emotions or thoughts and counselling can help you to feel less alone, feel more connected with both yourself and others and rediscover your life again. I am gentle and compassionate but I will challenge my clients if I think it is therapeutically necessary.
I have worked in different settings in the past including the NHS as a Talking Therapies Counsellor, charities and a sixth form college.
My approach is an integrative one combining Person-Centred, Gestalt and Existential theories and particular areas I work with are depression and low mood; anxiety, low self-esteem and lack of confidence, the “I don’t know what’s wrong - I should be happy but I’m not” feeling; abuse - domestic, sexual, rape (male and female) and sexual violence; adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse; bullying; life changes and transitions including divorce, relationship breakdown, loss, betrayal, bereavement, life changing illness; boarding school/ cared for childhood experiences; trauma; counselling students.
However the list above is only a flavour of the work I do and we are all very different, so please do get in touch with me to discuss what is troubling you, even if the issue you are seeking counselling for is not on list.
It can be a bit daunting getting in touch - I know that - but if you send me an email as a first step, I will aim to respond within 24 hours and we can arrange a mutually convenient time for a free, no obligation 15 minute phone call so that you can get to know a bit more about me and I can also check that I am the right person to help you. From there, if you wish to proceed, we can arrange your first appointment. If phone calls are difficult for you, do let me know and we can work around that.
I work from comfortable and confidential rooms in both central Exeter and Lyme Regis in West Dorset, with a range of appointments to suit.
Clients I offer counselling to:
Adults of all ages from 18 years upwards
Adolescents 16-18 years
Long and short term, face to face counselling.
Thank you for taking the time to read my profile.
Please access my website for more information.
Training, qualifications & experience
- FdSc (Foundation Degree) Humanistic Counselling - University of Greenwich (BACP Accredited course)
- Certified Freedom Programme Facilitator
Alongside my private practice, I work for an agency specialising in bereavement, loss and life transition. I also have recent experience of working for the NHS as a Talking Therapies Counsellor (Step 3 High Intensity) where I specialised in working with Depression.
In the past I have worked as a Counsellor with adults in a local general counselling service, covering all types of presenting issues and also with adolescents aged 16-19 at a local college.
Prior to training as a Counsellor, I gained a wealth of experience in the domestic abuse field as a Support Worker, working for both a charity and a statutory agency. I am also a certified Freedom Programme Facilitator, trained to deliver the Freedom Programme individually and in groups. (The Freedom Programme is a psycho-educative programme for victims and survivors of domestic abuse).
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse
- Choices/decision making
- Counselling students
- Family problems
- Life changing circumstances
- Long term illness
- Men's issues
- Post natal depression/baby blues
- Rape - male and female
- Still birth
- Women's issues
- Work problems
- I offer a free, no obligation 15 minute phone consultation so that you can find out more about how I work and if I might be the right therapist for you. Please contact me by phone, text or email to arrange this.
- My fees are £45 per 50 minutes session, payable by cash or bank transfer, except on the first session where payment should be in cash.
- I ask for a least 24 hours’ notice of cancellation of an appointment, otherwise I reserve the right to charge for the session.
- I offer limited number of concessionary spaces depending on individual circumstances.
I am fully insured and work according to the BACP Ethical Framework.
- As BACP registered and trained Counsellor, I take part in monthly Supervision and regular continuous professional development to ensure safe, ethical, informed practice.
- I hold an Enhanced DBS Certificate.
- I am registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office to store my client’s relevant personal information confidentially, safely and ethically.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I work in Exeter on a Friday morning and a Monday afternoon offering a range of appointments to suit clients. I work in Lyme Regis Tuesday to Thursday in the evenings starting at 6pm.
Types of client