Myira Khan: BACP Accredited Counsellor & Supervisor (Leicester & Online)
A BACP Accredited Counsellor and Supervisor in Leicester and Online (Zoom, Telephone, Email) and elected Governor on the BACP Board of Governors.
Counselling for Adults, Couples, Children and Young People
Myira Khan Counselling offers:
- Counselling to Adults
- Couples Counselling (also known as relationship therapy or marriage guidance)
- Children and Adolescent / Teenage / Young People's Counselling (for children aged 3 years old and up)
- Online Counselling (Zoom, Telephone, Email) for Adults, Couples and Young People (aged 10 and above)
- A professional, safe and confidential counselling service
- A faith and culturally-sensitive service
- Islamic Counselling Service available (Leicester or online) from a Muslim Counsellor
- Supervision for trainee & qualified counsellors / therapists (Leicester or Online)
- Appointments available weekdays, evenings & weekends.
- Enquiries welcome throughout the week and weekend.
Works with concerns such as anxiety, depression, family and relationship issues (conflicts, divorce, separation, affairs etc), bereavement, bipolar, borderline and personality disorders, stress, work issues, low self-esteem/confidence, anger management.
Additionally qualified & experienced to offer:
Couples Counselling (Relationship Therapy or Marriage Guidance)
Islamic Counselling Service
Monday & Friday: 9am - 6pm
Tuesday & Wednesday: 9am - 12pm
Thursday, Saturday & Sunday: Closed.
Location: Leicester City Centre
12 Princess Road West
To contact Myira, to enquire about services or book an appointment:
Telephone: 07864 523 545
Training, qualifications & experience
* Award-winning and BACP Accredited Counsellor
(BSc, Dip HE, Registered Member MBACP - Accredited)
* Clinical Supervisor
* Counselling Tutor / Lecturer
BACP Accredited Counsellor in Leicester and Online (Zoom, email and telephone)
BSc Psychology 2.1 (Brunel University)
Certificate of Higher Education in Counselling (University of Leicester)
Diploma of Higher Education in Contemporary Psychodynamic Counselling (University of Leicester)
Online Counselling Skills Certificate (Online Counselling Services and Training)
Advanced Post Diploma Certificate in Person Centred Couples Counselling (Counselling Workshops & Training LLP)
Certificate in Islamic Psychology and Islamic Psychotherapy (Islamic Counselling)
Certificate in Developing Skills in Couples Work (Tavistock Relationships)
Post-Graduate Advanced Certificate in Integrative Counselling for Children and Young People
Certificate in Clinical Supervision
As a qualified adult education tutor, Myira also works as a Counselling Lecturer and Tutor.
A professional, qualified and experienced BACP Accredited Counsellor working with a range of issues, including anxiety, depression and relationship difficulties.
A qualified Supervisor, supervising qualified and trainee counsellors and psychotherapists.
Offering private, safe and confidential counselling to all clients.
A psychodynamic and integrative counsellor, experienced in working with both deep-routed issues and their impact upon present life as well as working with current issues which may be impacting upon a client's well-being.
Trained in Islamic Psychology and Islamic Psychotherapy, there is an option for clients to access an Islamic Counselling service from myself as a Muslim Counsellor.
Committed to offering a service which is welcoming to all backgrounds, races, religions and cultures in a supportive, inclusive and non-discriminatory manner. As a Muslim counsellor working within a private service, you can choose to work with a Muslim / Asian counsellor if this choice is not available to you from your local / NHS / GP services.
Experienced of working within a University student counselling service, local voluntary and private counselling services and within a domestic violence support service.
Founder of the Muslim Counsellor and Psychotherapist Network.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Additional Specialist Areas:
- Offers Online Counselling via Zoom, Email and Telephone.
- Experienced in working cross-culturally, I work with a diverse range of clients across all ages, ethnicities, religions, cultures and sexualities.
- Also qualified in Islamic Psychology and Islamic Psychotherapy, I offer Islamic Counselling as part of my counselling service (in Leicester or Online) for Muslim clients.
£50.00 per session
£50 per session (for adults, children and young people).
£70 per session (for couples counselling).
Each session is 50 minutes.
Reduced fees (concessions) of £35 per session are available for full-time FE and University students and unwaged (unemployed).
£40 per hour for supervision (or £60 for 1.5 hours of monthly supervision).
Tuesday and Thursday: 9am - 8pm
Monday and Wednesday: 9am - 12pm
Friday: 9am - 6pm
Appointments available weekdays, evenings and weekends for face to face counselling in Leicester and Online.
Online Counselling is particularly flexible to work around unsociable work shifts and/or location.
Enquiries welcome throughout the week and weekend via email or phone.
Concessions offered for
Monday: 9am - 6pm, Tuesday 9am - 12pm, Wednesday: 9am - 12pm, Friday: 9am - 6pm.
Closed: Thursday, Saturday & Sunday
Myira is the Founder of the Muslim Counsellor and Psychotherapist Network and an Award-winning Counsellor:
- The Muslim Counsellor and Psychotherapist Network- Shortlisted for Professional Network of the Year (November 2015)
- Shortlisted at the National Diversity Awards - Positive Role Model for Race, Religion and Faith (September 2015)
- Shortlisted at the Asian Women of Achievement Awards - Social and Humanitarian Category (May 2015) and attending the Women of the Year Lunch & Awards (October 2015)
- Mental Health Heroes Award Winner (February 2015). Presented by Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg. www.libdems.org.uk/mental-health-hero-award-winners
- Finalist at the British Muslim Awards - Woman of the Year (February 2015). http://www.thediversityawards.info/britishmuslim/entry/
- Winner of the Women's Award for Inspiration (June 2013). "Myira is one of the only practicing Muslim counsellors in Leicester, and as such, she takes an active role in advocating the counselling and psychotherapy profession within Muslim communities. Myira is an active member of the Black and Asian Therapists Network (BAATN), the BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy) including the sub-division: Association for Pastoral and Spiritual Care and Counselling (APSCC), as well as founding her own international professional network; The Muslim Counsellor and Psychotherapist Network (MCAPN)."
Media Consultation and Contributions:
- Myira works with media companies to consult and contribute to print, radio and tv productions.
- Myira has contributed to the following print and newspaper articles:
- Guardian: Problem Solved - "My husband was unfaithful and lied about it for years" http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/apr/10/my-husband-was-unfaithful-and-lied-about-it-for-years#comments
- The Telegraph: "Why telling your friend she looks thin could really harm her" https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11425632/Why-telling-your-friend-she-looks-thin-could-really-harm-her.html
- Myira has appeared on BBC Radio Leicester discussing her work as a counsellor and to address the issues of stigma and taboo in mental health, to break down barriers of mental health, for clients to easily access services.
- Myira has appeared on British Muslim TV- Questions debate show - to discuss domestic violence, working with domestic violence victims, the need for appropriate services and to address the prevalence within Muslim communities.
Contact Myira for counselling or supervision (also for media/presenter/CPD training enquiries).