Michelle Miller MBACP Child and Adolescent Counsellor MEd (Cantab), BSocSc Hons
I am currently unable to accept new clients. October 2019.
Hello, I am Michelle, and I am a qualified and registered Psychotherapeutic Counsellor (MBACP). I work alongside children, adolescents and adults. I see clients in two private practice centres, in central Cambridge; one centre is located off Trumpington Road and the other, is located just off Mill Road.
I can provide support for individuals struggling with self-harm, anxiety, low mood and aspects related to gender or sexual diversity. Sexual and gender diversity is not an illness and is not in itself a reason to seek therapy. However, sometimes it can be hard to work things out, 'come out', or navigate this typically heteronormative and gender binary world, especially if you experience stigma, bullying, fear of rejection and loss of relationships. These are some of the reasons people seek help, related to sexual or gender identities - it could be about how you feel and sometimes it could be about how others feel about you.
In my work with LGBTQ clients I position myself as an ally. I am a cisgender woman and my pronouns are she/her.
*Cisgender, or cis: when a person's gender identity matches the sex they were assigned at birth.
I would describe myself as an open, respectful, kind, compassionate, non-judgemental and professional therapist. We can spend time looking at issues you bring to therapy, which might include relationships with others and with yourself; you might struggle with your feelings, or how your thoughts affect your day to day behaviour.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have a Masters degree in Child and Adolescent Psychotherapeutic Counselling, from the University of Cambridge and a degree in Psychology and Social Work.
My experience includes working with children, adolescents and adults. I work as a school-based counsellor and in private practice.
Further Training: I aim to deepen my understanding of particular subjects and issues, via continued learning, which informs my core practice.
- Interpersonal Therapy for Depressed Adolescents - Anna Freud
- Self-harm - APT
- Self-Harming Clients in Psychotherapy - CONFER
- Working with Complex Trauma - NScience
- Working Alongside Trans, Gender Diverse & Questioning People - Gendered Intelligence
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity - OU
- Gender Variant Children and Trans Adolescents - GIRES
- Queering Psychotherapy - CONFER
- Gender Identities - Pink Therapy
- Coming Out - Pink Therapy
- Nutritional Intervention for Eating Disorders - National Centre for Eating Disorders
- Training clinicians in Eating Disorders - Centre for Eating and Dieting Disorders, Australia.
- Advanced Therapeutic Techniques using Attachment Theory - NScience
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Child related issues
- Childhood bullying
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Relationship problems
Photos & videos
I accept BACS payments, before a session, or you can pay cash at the end of a session.
I retain appointments for individuals who would benefit from a reduced rate. Please email me to discuss availability.
Sessions last for 50 minutes. If you need to cancel, I require 24 hours notice, please. If you are late, I will hold the space for you and we can meet for the remaining time.
I typically see people for about 6 to 12 sessions; the number of sessions required will be discussed at the start of therapy and reviewed as we continue.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am currently unable to accept new clients.
Types of client