Michelle McQuillan (BSc Hons; MSc Counselling and Psychotherapy; MBACP)
Thank you for visiting my profile.
What I do
I have a particular interest in working with issues relating to bereavement and loss as well as life limiting or life threatening illness. I also have experience working within a hospice setting. I can help with other issues such as anxiety, depression, low confidence and self esteem issues, relationship problems, identity issues; stress, phobias, anger, body image, self harming, historical and current abuse; trauma issues and more.
As a Person Centered Counsellor and Psychotherapist, I can offer you a safe and confidential space, where you will be met with genuineness, respect and empathy. I work in a supportive and non-judgemental way, with a view to try to understand your experience. This affords you the opportunity to explore your feelings and emotions, which can help you to work towards making the changes you want in your life and improve your sense of self-worth.
Is counselling for me?
Are you feeling sad, anxious or depressed? Perhaps you are grieving as the result of the loss of a loved one, a beloved pet or a job and you are in need of some emotional support, but have no one to turn to? Or maybe you are struggling in a relationship or with a break up? Having a safe place to express and explore what is happening for you emotionally, physically and psychologically can empower you to work towards making the changes you desire. Talking to a counsellor or psychotherapist can really help you to gain some personal insight and understanding about what these feelings are, what they are trying to teach you and how you can grow around them.
Sometimes we find ourselves facing life circumstances which negatively affect us, leaving us feeling hurt, angry and confused. Often, we can find and utilise our innate strengths to deal with these situations. Sometimes, however, they can leave us feeling overwhelmed, anxious or depressed. At these times it can be helpful to explore these feelings with someone who is qualified to listen without judgement, in a safe and confidential space, in order to explore and work through these feelings to find a solution that is right for you. Attending counselling can help you to feel stronger, happier, and more confident.
What happens next?
It can be scarey to reach out and ask for help, but if you feel you are ready to do so then please call or email me to set up an initial session. I offer a free 15 minute initial telephone consultation, at a mutually agreed time, where we can talk about what you want to get out of counselling and I can answer any questions you may have. If I am unable to answer your call, please leave me a message, along with a convenient time, and I will get back to you. Only I have access to your messages and as such, you can be assured of confidentiality. Should you decide you wish to commence with counselling sessions, we would arrange to meet on weekly basis from there.
Training, qualifications & experience
- I have an MSc in counselling and psychotherapy from the University of Strathclyde
- I have a BSc Hons in Psychology from the Open University
- I have a Cognitive Behavioural Training Certificate
- I have a Solution Focussed Training Certificate
- I am a Registered Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy and can be found on the BACP Register which shows I have been trained to a recognised standard on an accredited course and that I work in an ethical way
- I have extensive experience in counselling and mental health, ranging from working in the voluntary sector, private and hospice settings
- I have experience of working with a wide range of issues including bereavement and loss, life limiting illness, anxiety, depression, stress, relationship and family issues, plus many others
- I have experience in working with Employee Assistance Programmes
- I am St Andrew's Hospice Grief and Loss Trained
- I have experience woking within a charity setting working with mild to moderate psychological distress
- I have experience working within a charity setting offering support to people living with life limiting illness and bereavement
- I am ASIST Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Trained
- I have attended a Dementia Friends Training Talk
- I work within the BACP Ethical Framework for Good Practice where I receive regular Professional Supervision and Continuous Professional Development.
- I am Rewind Technique trained
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Photos & videos
Sliding scale offered
- 1:1 face to face counselling sessions;
- Short Term and open ended counselling;
- Early mornings, evenings and weekends in Lanarkshire to work around your busy schedule;
- Easy access from motorways, train stations and bus stops
- A warm, welcoming, and safe space;
- Free car parking locally;
- Professional, confidential and friendly service.
I also offer:
- an initial 15 minute telephone consultation free of charge.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer an initial 15 minute telephone consultation free of charge, and flexible appointments including early mornings, evenings and weekends to work around your busy schedule.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|