Melanie Key UKCP registered Psychotherapist, Dip Counselling (MBACP)
I am an experienced and approachable therapist working with couples, individuals and groups, offering both short term counselling and longer term psychotherapy. I work with all levels of emotional distress and trauma and provide a safe and confidential space for you to talk, so that together we can explore the difficulties you are facing and begin to understand what may be getting in the way of you enjoying life to the full.
I work from a relational model of psychotherapy using Transactional analysis, which is an integrative model incorporating both psychodynamic and humanistic perspectives, and I also draw on the latest research in neurobiology, regulation and attachment theory. Working relationally means that I focus on relating to you on an authentic, human level, and I pay particular attention to what emerges between us in our sessions because this provides a useful opportunity for us to work through them together, and also helps you to understand the dynamics that you bring into relationships, both with yourself and others. Through the relationship I will provide both support and challenge, and will help you to gain an accurate understanding of your feelings, thoughts, and behaviours, and help you develop strategies for change, with the ultimate aim being that you experience an improved sense of emotional wellbeing.
With couples I help you to explore your relationship, deepening your understanding of the dynamics and patterns that occur between you, and the core issues that lead you to feel dissatisfied. Together we address the difficulties and conflicts safely and you will learn new ways to express your needs and meet the needs of each other, and to relate and communicate more effectively, and you will be able move forward, in whatever way is right for you.
For individuals and couples I suggest an initial session - at my standard fee- where we can meet and talk, and it is an opportunity for us both to ask any questions and together decide how to proceed. You are not obliged to book any further sessions.
Sessions are of 50 minute duration.
Please email me with your inquiry and I will aim to get back to you within 24 hours or sooner, during the working week. I am happy to speak on the phone if you wish to discuss anything further or to make arrangements for an initial session, however please bear in mind that I am often in session with clients and therefore unable to respond to calls immediately. I can often respond to a text or email more quickly.
My therapy room is 5 minutes from Ealing Broadway station.
- Relationship counselling including complex relational trauma.
- Trauma, history of abuse, and CPTSD.
- Loss and bereavement.
- Anxiety, panic disorder, depression.
- Attachment disorders and the impact on patterns of relating and relationship dynamics.
- Personality disorders, BPD
- Parenting issues and post-natal depression.
Training, qualifications & experience
- MSc Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy (Middlesex University).
- Certified Transactional Analyst (P) (Metanoia Institute)
- Diploma in Psychotherapeutic counselling (Metanoia Institute)
- Advanced Diploma in Couples Therapy (NAOS)
- Certificate in Couples counselling (Metanoia Institute)
- Certificate in Attachment and neuroscience (Metanoia Institute)
- BSc health studies (Surrey University)
In addition to my private practice, I currently work one day a week in the NHS facilitating groups for individuals with complex emotional needs and/or a diagnosis of personality disorder.
I have several years experience working with a wide range of psychological and emotional issues in the charity sector and have previously worked for a bereavement agency for over two years, and for Ealing Abbey counselling service for two and a half years. In addition I have a background in nursing and health visiting with over 20 years experience in the NHS
Professional bodies I am a member with:
- UKCP (United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy)
- BACP (British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists)
- EATA (European Institute of Transactional Analysis)
- Metanoia Institute
- IARTA (International Association of Relational Analysts)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Child related issues
- Eating disorders
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
£60 per 50 minute individual session day time and £70 per 50 minute individual session after 6pm.
£75 per 50 minute couples session day time and £85 per 50 minute couples session after 6pm.
I am a registered member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (MBACP) and the United Kingdom Council of Psychotherapy (UKCP) and I adhere to their code of ethics.
I am also a member of EATA (European Association of Transactional Analysis), IARTA (International Association of Relational Transactional Analysis) and the Metanoia Institute.
I hold public liability insurance and have a current DBS check certificate
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
At present I only have day time availability, but I do have a waiting list for evening appointments.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|