Melanie Collins MBACP (Accred.)
0778 955 4675
I am an MBACP Accredited Psychodynamic Counsellor/Psychotherapist working face to face in private practice. My extensive experience of helping with life's challenges, anxieties, sadnesses, relationships issues, depression, and the full range of difficulties which face us in life is drawn from 11 years broad experience of counselling and assessing suitability for therapy in a charitable agency setting, in a GP practice on behalf of the NHS, and in private practice.
I hold a WPF Graduate and Postgraduate Training in Psychodynamic Counselling and continually expand my knowledge of the application of psychotherapy through Continuing Professional Development. I adhere to the British Association of Counselling & Psycotherapy Ethical Framework for Professional Private Practice.
I am a therapist for counselling students as a requirement of their training, I am also a registered provider of psychological therapy for Employee Assistance Programmes and medical insurance companies. A background in an international Higher Education environment provides insight and understanding of those issues commonly faced by those living away from their homeland and the stresses of student life.
What I offer
I am an insightful and approachable therapist offering short term and longer term therapy to help with anxiety, depression, low self esteem, feeling sad, separation and divorce, family issues, relationship issues, stress, bipolar disorder, trauma, abuse, bereavement and loss of health, status or meaning to life, shame and guilt, feelings of emptiness and isolation (even when with others). I am widely experienced in working across the broad spectrum of life’s difficulties which can feel overwhelming or isolating when you feel stuck and don’t know where to turn in order to move forwards. Families and friends cannot always provide what we are looking for - even if we have them.
In a professional but relaxed and confidential atmosphere, you will find a safe, tranquil space in which to unburden, reflect, understand, challenge, face fears and nightmares, change or mourn irretrievable loss. In once weekly sessions you can talk in confidence without fear of judgement. Twice weekly appointments are available where appropriate. This comforting, uplifting and restorative relationship supports you through the process of learning to understand why you feel and react the way you do, and understand how to manage your feelings better, You can begin to view yourself, your life and those around you differently and manage what life has presented you with.
How I can help you
Each therapeutic relationship is a deeply personal and individual experience in which the evolving relationship between us is a valuable part of the work. Difficulties in other relationships can surface, to be worked with and resolved within our relationship, and it is really important to find the therapist who feels right for you. Psychodynamic therapy aims to explore the way we react, relate, behave, manage distress and defend ourselves from emotional pain. This process of self understanding supported by informed support, interpretation and emotional support, looks both to the past but also at the present and to the future to consider tackling life enhancing changes. It helps -
- Learn to express your needs and manage strong emotions without hurting anyone;
- Understand how you relate to others, often reflecting ways of relating established in childhood, and repeated in the therapeutic relationship;
- Find acceptance for who you are, to encourage increased self esteem and reduce anxiety;
- Learn how to be independent, taking responsibility for your actions;
- Work through past traumatic experiences in a safe environment to reduce the distressing ongoing impact of complex trauma;
- Mourn the loss of loved ones, relationships, declining health, the effects of ageing and lost opportunities;
- Manage major life change – redundancy, retirement, post natal depression, etc.
- Address destructive, repetitive behaviour patterns and substance abuse.
What to expect
Though silences provoke thinking and reflection, I do not believe in silences which feel persecutory and I strive to engage with you. An initial assessment meeting explores whether psychodynamic therapy seems appropriate for your needs and whether this can be worked with in short term work of a fixed number of sessions to address a particular immediate need, or whether longer-term counselling of no fixed duration will be most beneficial. If necessary I can help you find alternative ways forward. Longer term working provides an opportunity to explore more deeply the roots of your distress. Where helpful, aspects of CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) might be incorporated in the regular weekly 50-minute appointments which are held wherever possible at the same time each week.
If you feel encouraged to find out more about therapy with me, you can read more at my website www.pottersbarcounselling.co.uk or contact me to talk it over on the email link or telephone number at the top of the page.
Training, qualifications & experience
- CPCAB Certificate in Counselling Skills
- HBCF Advanced Certificate in Counselling Skills
- WPF Graduate Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling
- WPF Post Graduate Advanced Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling
- EMDR Therapist in training - Parts 1 and 2 EMDR Works Theory & Practice of EMDR
- WPF Post Qualifying Certificate in Working with Individuals with the Couple in Mind
- BACP Accredited
- UKRCP Registered
- Member, Association of Independent Practitioners
- Aviva Health, Nuffield Health and BUPA approved provider of counselling/psychological therapies
- Registered provider of psychotherapeutic services to Employee Assistance Programmes
I commit to continuing professional development and receive regular clinical supervision, working appropriately, safely and ethically in accordance with the BACP Ethical Framework.
DBS Enhanced Disclosure
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Workplace relationships
- Feelings of emptiness, loneliness and isolation
- Shame and guilt
- Health issues
- Problems that keep repeating themselves
- Physical symptoms with no organic cause
- Student issues
- Mid-life crisis
- Life stage issues
- Mood swings
- Counselling/psychotherapy students seeking therapy as part of their training
Photos & videos
All appointments are charged at £50 each.
I offer concessions to counselling and psychotherapy students.
Weekday daytime and evening appointments..
5 minutes from junctions 23 and 24 of M25, 5 minutes from A1 junction 1.
5 minutes from Brookmans Park. 10 minutes from Cuffley, Barnet, Hatfield, Hadley Wood and Cockfosters.
Bus routes 84 and 610 provide easy access to the practice. Potters Bar station is a 15 minute uphill walk.
Off-street on-site parking. There is no disabled access to my consulting room.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 8am-8pm. Initial assessment and occasional other appointments may be arranged outside of these hours by arrangement.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|