Masha Bennett MSc Psych Trauma UKCP Reg EMDR Accred
Please note that I am currently working predominantly with creative therapies in my practice, in particular Sandplay Therapy and Sound Therapy, and do not accept new clients for talk therapy. Limited spaces may be available for clinical supervision for psychotherapists, counsellors and sandplay therapists super, and I also offer a range of training courses to health and social care professionals.
I am an experienced psychotherapist working with a range of issues, including addictions, trauma / PTSD, anxiety, phobias, addictions, insomnia, depression, OCD, low confidence, chronic stress, perfectionism, relationship problems, identity issues, tension, physical pains and aches.
I see clients in my private therapy practice in Glossop, High Peak, near Manchester.
I have worked with people in a helping capacity for nearly 20 years, and have been accredited as a Neuro Linguistic Psychotherapist and registered with UKCP for 10 years. I have a wide range of therapeutic skills which I integrate within my practice, including Sandplay Therapy, CRM (Comprehensive Resource Model), EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques), EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing), Therapeutic Art, Mindfulness, Logosynthesis, and Sound Therapy.
I have 7 years of work experience as a psychotherapist in the NHS (in a mental health service, staff support service and in a health psychology service), and some years of experience within addiction treatment services, including managing a drug rehab in a women's prison.
Therapy for therapists
Many of my clients are other therapists, counsellors and mental health professionals - if you are a therapist seeking help we can work together to address either work-related or personal issues. I am especially interested in therapist's self-care, which was the subject of my research project and dissertation for the MSc Therapeutic Practice in Psychological Trauma with the University of Chester.
If you are a trainee Neuro Linguistic Psychotherapist, personal therapy with me will count towards your accreditation requirements with NLPtCA.
In addition to standard 1 hour sessions, I also offer full-day and half-day individual mini-retreats, incorporating a range of creative approaches. You may want to consider this option if you live too far to travel for regular sessions, if you prefer a long immersive experience, or if you want to give yourself a special gift of self-care. Please get in touch for full details.
Training and workshops
I teach courses on the following subjects: Trauma Awareness, Sandplay Therapy, Parts Therapy, Enneagram, EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques), Attachment, Basic Neuroscience, Vicarious Trauma, Self-Care for Helpers, and other subjects in the UK, and 9 other countries around the world, including continental Europe, Middle East and Asia. I offer some open courses and in-house training for organisations.
I am an associate trainer for the Beeleaf Institute for Contemporary Psychotherapy, and in the past have delivered training for the Northern Guild for Psychotherapy, National Centre for Eating Disorders, Claudius Drug Training, and other organisations in the UK and internationally.
I am an accredited psychotherapy supervisor and am listed on the UKCP supervisor register.
Additionally, I offer supervision and mentoring to Sandplay Therapists, practitioners of EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques) and other mental health professionals.
Training, qualifications & experience
Training & Qualifications
- MSc Therapeutic Practice for Psychological Trauma.
- UKCP Registered Psychotherapist.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Neurolinguistic Psychotherapy.
- NLPtCA Accredited Psychotherapist and Clinical Supervisor.
- Certificate in Supervision.
- Mindfulness Teacher Training.
- Mindfulness for Kids Training.
- Comprehensive Resource Model (Basic Training).
- Lifespan Integration (Level 1 & 2).
- EFT International Master Trainer of Trainers (Emotional Freedom Techniques)
- EMDR Europe (Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing) Accredited Practitioner.
- EMDR for Children & Adolescents (Parts 1 & 2).
- Enneagram Typing Practitioner Training (ongoing).
- CoSH (College of Sound Healing) Tutor & Gong Practitioner.
- Certificate / Diploma in Integrative Sandplay Therapy.
- Certificate / Diploma in Therapeutic Art (attended as CPD).
- Post-Qualifying Diploma modules in Child Psychotherapy (over 2 years, not assessed).
- 1 year postgraduate level training in CBT (attended as CPD).
- 1 year postgraduate level training in Play Therapy (attended as CPD).
- Practitioner Skills for Eating Disorders / Obesity Management.
- The Relate Institute training in Working with Couples (attended as CPD).
- Matrix Reimprinting (attended as CPD).
- Picture Tapping Technique (attended as CPD)
- Certificates in Workplace Mediation / Mediation with Teams.
- Animal-Assisted Interventions in Therapeutic Practice.
- NLP Master Practitioner.
- The Open University Diploma in Health & Social Care.
- Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dissociative Seizures (CPD)
- Professional Development Award in Creative Therapy.
- Certificate in Sexual Minority Therapy (LGBT Affirmative Therapy).
- Certificate in Executive Coaching.
- Home Office Accredited Drug Treatment Programme Facilitator / Treatment Manager.
- Psychotherapist and Trainer in Private Practice (current).
- Associate Tutor with Beeleaf Institute for Contemporary Psychotherapy (current).
- Associate Therapist with Tiptoes Child Therapy Services.
- Associate Tutor with the Northern Guild for Psychotherapy.
- Psychotherapist with Derbyshire Community Health Services NHS Trust / Health Psychology Department.
- Addiction and Trauma Psychotherapist with KeyRing.
- EMDR Therapist with Sheffield Health and Social Care NHS Foundation Trust.
- Psychological Therapist / Counsellor with Derbyshire Community Health Services NHS Trust / Resolve Staff Support Service.
- IAPT High Intensity Therapist with Tameside & Glossop Primary Care Mental Health Service.
- Therapist at Ivydene Children's Home.
- Well Being Centre Manager with The Big Life group.
- Prison Drug Treatment Manager with Phoenix House.
- Accredited Programme Tutor with National Probation Service.
- Research Assistant with the University of Aberdeen.
- Tutor in Trauma Counselling with Challenges Worldwide / international development project in Sri Lanka.
- Volunteer Counsellor with BeatBullying.
- Volunteer Play Therapist with Ludworth Primary School.
- Volunteer Therapist with the National Phobics Society (now Anxiety UK).
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Drug addiction
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Work-related stress
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
Photos & videos
An initial telephone consultation of up to 20 minutes is free - or if your prefer we could have our initial discussion by email.
During the first face-to-face consultation (lasting 1 hour 30 minutes), the first 30 minutes are free, and if after 30 minutes you decide that I am not the best therapist for you and do not wish to continue, there will be nothing to pay.
My standard fees for psychotherapy are £80 per session (a generous hour). Sandplay Therapy £60 for 1 hour session, £80 for 1.5 hour session. Sound Therapy £50 per session (a little over 1 hour).
For fees on full-day and half-day mini-retreats, please enquire.
Fees for supervision - £60 per session (a generous hour)
Concessions and discounts
Concessions may available to those on low income, to war veterans, and workers of emergency services traumatised in the course of their duties.
I have recorded a series of short self-help videos with different simple techniques for self-soothing, emotional regulation, relaxation, which you might find helpful. You can access all the videos here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuL2HA2SHPwbsldencsk6wTivPcRRjjoT - and you can find a few examples in the photo / video gallery above.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Weekdays and occasional evenings
Types of client
Supervision & training
I have been offering clinical supervision to health and care professionals since 2005, in the contexts of addiction recovery, mental health and counselling/psychotherapy.