Maryam Best MA, MBACP(Accred) Registered Counsellor/Psychotherapist, supervisor
Counselling and psychotherapy:
I specialise in online skills for therapy and have spaces available for SECURE VIDEO or VOICE ONLY via Zoom.us (free to download) as well as EMAIL counselling and psychotherapy (this is a versatile and confidential way of working - please ask for details).
I am a qualified, accredited and registered counsellor / psychotherapist. I am BACP and Professional Standards Authority registered and abide by the BACP and ACTO codes of practice.
- BACP: British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy
- ACTO: Association for Counselling and Therapy Online
Supervision / Supervision of supervisors:
I am a qualified clinical supervisor, serving since 1997. I have extensive experience in working online nationally and internationally and have spaces available for live video and email contact.
Training, qualifications & experience
TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- CPCAB cert in online therapy: 2009 - OLT (Online Training for Counsellors Ltd.)
- MA in Integrative Psychotherapy (specialising in couples therapy): 2007 - University of East London / Relate Institute
- PG Dip in Integrative Psychotherapy (specialising in couples therapy), BACP accredited course: 2005 - University of East London / Relate Institute
- Relate supervision training: 2001 - Herbert Gray Collage, Rugby
- Psychodynamic supervision (Part One): 1997 - Leicester University
- Cert. CC Relate: 1997 - Herbert Gray College, Rugby
- Adv. Cert in one to one counselling (Psychodynamic): 1997 - Leicester University
Ongoing training is mandatory for all accredited practitioners and includes 30 hours each year. Completed courses, workshops, conferences and further study since the start of my practice in 1994 include a wide range of therapy related topics, covering nearly 800 hours to date.
FACE TO FACE practice for one to one and couple counselling and psychotherapy, since 1994-
- Independent practice
- With organisations: Relate centres in Leicestershire and Devon, Mind, FirstAssist, WPF, Exeter and Falmouth universities
ONLINE national and international counselling/psychotherapy/supervision and supervision of supervisors, since 2009-
- Independent practice
- With organisations: Exeter and Falmouth universities
SUPERVISION AND CONSULTATION (individual professionals and groups), since 1997-
- Independent practice
- With organisations: Exeter University, Mind, Relate centres (Devon, Cornwall, Avon), Exeter College.
TEACHING / TUTORING
- M&DE (Music and Dance Exchange), 2004: delivered personal / professional development workshops for collaborating musicians and dancers in Dartington.
- PG Dip in Couple Therapy, 2005-2007: led personal / professional development group for Couple Therapy students in Bristol.
- ADVA (Devon County Council) away weekends, 2006-2008: co-delivered personal / professional development workshops for domestic violence and abuse workers in Devon.
- BACP Research Conference, 2011: delivered my MA research paper.
I practise as an ‘Integrative’ psychotherapist and my work is informed by Systemic and Psychodynamic theoretical models.
The Systemic model helps me keep in mind that:
- Everyone deserves respect.
- There’s a context to everything.
- There are many ways of looking at the same issue.
- Meanings are important.
- We are not islands and do affect each other (even when it doesn’t feel that way to us).
- Making sense of our relationships and roles (either current or past ones) can contribute hugely to our well-being.
The Psychodynamic model helps me keep in mind that:
- Trust is crucial for therapy to be helpful, and it’s my job as the therapist to facilitate the right trusting conditions.
- Childhood experiences are powerful and affect us in ways we don’t always understand or even notice.
- Our capacity for surviving intolerable situations is so great that at times it can interfere with our capacity to relax and enjoy life.
With therapeutic support we can become aware, reflective, and in charge of our lives.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Life is not always neat and the listed 'topics' are not necessarily adequate in describing your experience.
Any concerns or life-events that you are currently experiencing, no matter what the causes or triggers, and whether or not listed, are worthy of full attention.
I don't charge for inquiries and clarifications, so please do get in touch.
From £50.00 to £60.00
Concessions offered for
Counselling / psychotherapy:
- individuals: £50 (fifty minutes)
- couples: £60 (fifty minutes)
- individuals: £50 (one hour of my time)
- couples: £120 (two hours of my time)
Face to face therapy:
- Individuals: £50 (fifty minutes).
- Couples: £60 (fifty minutes)
Supervision / supervision of supervisors:
Live video: £50.00 (one hour)
Face to face supervision/ supervision of supervisors; £50.00 (one hour)
ONLINE THERAPY: Mon, Wed, Thur, Fri, Sun.
ONLINE SUPERVISION/SUPERVISION OF SUPERVISION: Mon, Wed, Thur, Fri, Sun.
Fridays I am only available for therapy by EMAIL
This is an unprecedented situation for us all. Day by day we are discovering how to manage our lives better and how best to support each other.
I have been in practice since 1994 and offer Online Therapy which you can access from where you are: home, car or while on a walk.
Live video: We can talk and explore your concerns together at an agreed time.
Email: You can gather your thoughts in your own time and send to me in the written form. No need to wait for an appointment. We agree an appointment time for me to reflect on what you have written, and write you back. This kind of communication is useful when you cannot commit to a specific time for therapy, or a live conversation feels like too much pressure.
When not in lockdown, I also offer face-to-face therapy at Gwendreath in Cornwall where you will be looking at breathtaking sea views while exploring your concerns. All Covid-safe measures are in place.