Maryam Best MA, MBACP(Accred) Registered Counsellor/Psychotherapist, supervisor
Counselling and psychotherapy:
I am a qualified, accredited and registered counsellor / psychotherapist. I am BACP and Professional Standards Authority registered and abide by the BACP and ACTO codes of practice.
I have spaces available for face to face and email counselling and psychotherapy (communicating confidentially via email attachments is a different but equal alternative to face-to-face contact with a therapist).
Supervision / consultation:
I am a qualified clinical supervisor, serving since 1997. I have spaces available for face to face and email contact.
Training, qualifications & experience
TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- CPCAB cert in online therapy: 2009 - OLT (Online Training for Counsellors Ltd.)
- MA in Couple Therapy: 2007 - University of East London / Relate Institute
- PG Dip in Couple Therapy (BACP accredited): 2005 - University of East London / Relate Institute
- Relate supervision, full training: 2001 - Herbert Gray Collage, Rugby
- Psychodynamic supervision (Part One): 1997 - De Montfort University
- Cert. CC Relate: 1997 - Herbert Gray College, Rugby
- Adv. Cert in one to one counselling: 1997 - Vaughan College, Leicester University
Ongoing training is mandatory for all accredited practitioners and includes 30 hours each year. Completed courses, workshops, conferences and further study since the start of my practice in 1994 include a wide range of therapy related topics covered over hundreds of hours.
FACE TO FACE practice for one to one and couple counselling and psychotherapy, since 1994-
- Independent practice
- With organisations: Relate centres in Leicestershire and Devon, Mind, FirstAssist, WPF, Exeter and Falmouth universities
ONLINE national and international counselling/psychotherapy/supervision and consultation, since 2009-
- Independent practice
- With organisations: Exeter and Falmouth universities
SUPERVISION AND CONSULTATION (individual professionals and groups), since 1997-
- Independent practice
- With organisations: Exeter University, Mind, Relate centres (Devon Cornwall and Avon), Exeter College.
TEACHING / TUTORING
- M&DE (Music and Dance Exchange), 2004: delivered personal / professional development workshops for collaborating musicians and dancers in Dartington.
- PG Dip in Couple Therapy, 2005-2007: led personal / professional development group for Couple Therapy students in Bristol.
- ADVA (Devon County Council) away weekends, 2006-2008: co-delivered personal / professional development workshops for domestic violence and abuse workers in Devon.
I practise as an ‘Integrative’ psychotherapist and my work is informed by Systemic and Psychodynamic theoretical models.
The Systemic model helps me keep in mind that:
- Everyone deserves respect.
- There’s a context to everything.
- There are many ways of looking at the same issue.
- Meanings are important.
- We are not islands and do affect each other (even when it doesn’t feel that way to us).
- Making sense of our relationships and roles (either current or past ones) can contribute hugely to our well-being.
The Psychodynamic model helps me keep in mind that:
- Trust is crucial for therapy to be helpful, and it’s my job as the therapist to facilitate the right trusting conditions.
- Childhood experiences are powerful and affect us in ways we don’t always understand or even notice.
- Our capacity for surviving intolerable situations is so great that at times it can interfere with our capacity to relax and enjoy life.
With therapeutic support we can become aware, reflective, and in charge of our lives.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
You are unique.
Life is not always neat and the listed 'topics' are not necessarily adequate in describing your experience.
Any concerns or life-events that you are currently experiencing, no matter what the causes or triggers, and whether or not listed, are worthy of my full attention and assistance.
I don't charge for enquiries and clarifications and would be pleased to hear from you.
Photos & videos
Counselling / psychotherapy:
Face to face therapy
- Individuals: £40 (fifty minutes).
- Couples: £50 (fifty minutes)
Email therapy (individuals): £40 (fifty minutes of my time)
Live video (individuals): £40 (fifty minutes)
If you are funding your own online supervision/consultation: £36.00
If you are funded by an organisation for online supervision/consultation; £40.00
Face to face supervision/consultation; £40.00
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
FACE TO FACE AND ONLINE THERAPY: ANY DAY. FACE TO FACE AND ONLINE SUPERVISION/CONSULTATION: ANY DAY.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
Supervision / consultation:.