MA, MBACP(Accred) Registered Counsellor/Psychotherapist, supervisor
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently
verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Counselling and psychotherapy:
I specialise in online skills for therapy and have spaces available for SECURE VIDEO or VOICE ONLY via Zoom.us (free to download) as well as EMAIL counselling and psychotherapy (this is a versatile and confidential way of working - please ask for details).
I am a qualified, accredited and registered counsellor / psychotherapist. I am BACP and Professional Standards Authority registered and abide by the BACP and ACTO codes of practice.
- BACP: British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy
- ACTO: Association for Counselling and Therapy Online
Supervision / Supervision of supervisors:
I am a qualified clinical supervisor, serving since 1997. I have extensive experience in working online nationally and internationally and have spaces available for live video and email contact.
Training, qualifications & experience
TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- CPCAB cert in online therapy: 2009 - OLT (Online Training for Counsellors Ltd.)
- MA in Integrative Psychotherapy (specialising in couples therapy): 2007 - University of East London / Relate Institute
- PG Dip in Integrative Psychotherapy (specialising in couples therapy), BACP accredited course: 2005 - University of East London / Relate Institute
- Relate supervision training: 2001 - Herbert Gray Collage, Rugby
- Psychodynamic supervision (Part One): 1997 - Leicester University
- Cert. CC Relate: 1997 - Herbert Gray College, Rugby
- Adv. Cert in one to one counselling (Psychodynamic): 1997 - Leicester University
Ongoing training is mandatory for all accredited practitioners and includes 30 hours each year. Completed courses, workshops, conferences and further study since the start of my practice in 1994 include a wide range of therapy related topics, covering nearly 800 hours to date.
FACE TO FACE practice for one to one and couple counselling and psychotherapy, since 1994-
- Independent practice
- With organisations: Relate centres in Leicestershire and Devon, Mind, FirstAssist, WPF, Exeter and Falmouth universities
ONLINE national and international counselling/psychotherapy/supervision and supervision of supervisors, since 2009-
- Independent practice
- With organisations: Exeter and Falmouth universities
SUPERVISION AND CONSULTATION (individual professionals and groups), since 1997-
- Independent practice
- With organisations: Exeter University, Mind, Relate centres (Devon, Cornwall, Avon), Exeter College.
TEACHING / TUTORING
- M&DE (Music and Dance Exchange), 2004: delivered personal / professional development workshops for collaborating musicians and dancers in Dartington.
- PG Dip in Couple Therapy, 2005-2007: led personal / professional development group for Couple Therapy students in Bristol.
- ADVA (Devon County Council) away weekends, 2006-2008: co-delivered personal / professional development workshops for domestic violence and abuse workers in Devon.
- BACP Research Conference, 2011: delivered my MA research paper.
I practise as an ‘Integrative’ psychotherapist and my work is informed by Systemic and Psychodynamic theoretical models.
The Systemic model helps me keep in mind that:
- Everyone deserves respect.
- There’s a context to everything.
- There are many ways of looking at the same issue.
- Meanings are important.
- We are not islands and do affect each other (even when it doesn’t feel that way to us).
- Making sense of our relationships and roles (either current or past ones) can contribute hugely to our well-being.
The Psychodynamic model helps me keep in mind that:
- Trust is crucial for therapy to be helpful, and it’s my job as the therapist to facilitate the right trusting conditions.
- Childhood experiences are powerful and affect us in ways we don’t always understand or even notice.
- Our capacity for surviving intolerable situations is so great that at times it can interfere with our capacity to relax and enjoy life.
With therapeutic support we can become aware, reflective, and in charge of our lives.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP)
BACP is one of the UK’s leading professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy with around 60,000 members. The Association has several different categories of membership, including Student Member, Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP, Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Accred) and Senior Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Snr Acccred).
Registered and accredited members are listed on the BACP Register, which shows that they have demonstrated BACP’s recommended standards for training, proficiency and ethical practice. The BACP Register was the first register of psychological therapists to be accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
Accredited and senior accredited membership are voluntary categories for members who choose to undertake a rigorous application and assessment process to demonstrate additional standards around practice, training and supervision.
Individual members will have completed an appropriate counselling or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but they won’t appear on the BACP Register until they've demonstrated that they meet the standards for registration. Student members are still in the process of completing their training.
All members are bound by the BACP Ethical Framework and a Professional Conduct Procedure.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Life is not always neat and the listed 'topics' are not necessarily adequate in describing your experience.
Any concerns or life-events that you are currently experiencing, no matter what the causes or triggers, and whether or not listed, are worthy of full attention.
I don't charge for inquiries and clarifications, so please do get in touch.
From £55.00 to £65.00
Concessions offered for
Counselling / psychotherapy:
- individuals: £55 (fifty minutes)
- couples: £65 (fifty minutes)
- individuals: £60 (one hour of my time)
- couples: £120 (two hours of my time)
Face to face therapy:
- Individuals: £55 (fifty minutes).
- Couples: £65 (fifty minutes)
Supervision / supervision of supervisors:
Live video: £60.00 (one hour)
Face to face supervision/ supervision of supervisors; £60.00 (one hour)
When I work
ONLINE THERAPY: Mon, Wed, Thur, Fri, Sun.
ONLINE SUPERVISION/SUPERVISION OF SUPERVISION: Mon, Wed, Thur, Fri, Sun.
The Covid-19 event has been an unprecedented situation for us all. Day by day we have been discovering how to manage our lives better and how best to support each other.
I have been in practice since 1994 and offer Online Therapy which you can access from where you are: home, car or while on a walk.
Live video: We can talk and explore your concerns together at an agreed time.
Email: You can gather your thoughts in your own time and send to me in the written form. No need to wait for an appointment. We agree an appointment time for me to reflect on what you have written, and write you back. This kind of communication is useful when you cannot commit to a specific time for therapy, or a live conversation feels like too much pressure.
When not in lockdown, I also offer face-to-face therapy at Gwendreath in Cornwall where you will be looking at breathtaking sea views while exploring your concerns. All Covid-safe measures are in place.