Martin Faulkner MBACP, MNCS, RPSA
I am a qualified integrative counsellor of 23 years experience with the Person Centred model as my core of integrated practice as well as being a counselling supervisor, teacher, and experience as lecturer within tertiary and higher education on introduction, intermediate and diploma courses in counselling and psychotherapy as well as BSc and MSc courses.
I offer a warm and accepting space for clients to talk about whatever they wish and for me to help them explore their concerns and decide upon choices. I do not advise or judge and my role as a therapist is to support, accept and respect clients as who they are and facilitate empowerment for positive change.
I have experience in working with many clients especially in the areas of stress, anxiety and depression, self-worth and personal growth, gender and sexuality (LGBTQ Community), ethnicity (I have worked over many years with South Asian clients particularly), domestic violence, as well as eating disorders, body dysmorphia, and workplace bullying and harassment.
The first session is in the form of exploring how we may best work together productively as two individuals meeting each other for the first time and then arrange to meet further if a client wishes to do so. Counselling sessions last approximately 50 minutes.
I do not in any way advertise or offer therapy in areas I have not been trained in or have qualified experience of. I have professional liability insurance and regular professional supervision.
Please note that I only offer therapy to those over the age of 16 as counselling minors is a specialist area within the profession.
I hold day or weekend workshops which are held in central Manchester at a venue easily accessed by train, tram, bus or car with parking available nearby. These are taught either by myself or other experts in the following areas.
- Promoting Anti-Discriminatory Practice within the Counselling Profession
- Bereavement and Loss - Theoretical and Modular Practicalities for Therapists
- Gender, Sexualities and Homophobia - Inside the Belly of the Beast
- Attachment Theory: Loss, Self-Harm, Addictions, Phobias and Compulsions
- Countering Harassment and Bullying in the Workplace
- Managing Anger – Handling Strong Emotions for Therapists
- Understanding Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Prolonged Duress Stress Disorder
- Managing Personal and Professional Development for Counsellors
- Bandura's Social Influences Upon Human Behaviour
- Beyond Reach? Prouty's Pre-Therapy Work with Contact Impaired Clients
- Working in Multidisciplinary Team Settings as a Counsellor
- Understanding Stress, Anxiety and Depression
- Reminiscence Theory and Practice for Care Workers
- The Cycle of Awareness: Fritz Perls and Gestalt Therapy
- Jean Piaget and Cognitive Stages of Development
- Study Skills Workshop for Counselling Studies at Degree Level
- Identifying Personal and Professional Performance Criteria and Goals as an Ethically Competent Practitioner
- Working at Relational Depth with Clients
- Current Issues in Mental Health and Personal and Professional Awareness
- Gay and Lesbian Affirmative Therapy - Queer Radicalism in Counselling
- Professional, Ethical Competency and Occupational Settings in Support Services for Counsellors
- Multi-Culturalism or Integration? Politics, Culture, Society and Counselling
- Domestic Abuse and Violence
Training, qualifications & experience
Presently undertaking a MSc in Counselling at the University of Salford
Post Graduate Certificate in Supervision, 2006, University of Salford
Post Graduate Certificate in Education, 2001, University of Bolton
City and Guilds in Teaching Practice, 1999, Hopwood Hall College, Manchester
Diploma in Humanistic Counselling, 1996, CSCT, London
Certificate in Counselling Skills, 1994, CSCT, London
Certificate in Counselling Theory, 1994, CSCT, London
Combined Certificate in Counselling Skills and Theory, 1994, CSCT, London
BA Hons Degree in Theology and Religious Studies, 1993, University of Manchester
Counselling Experience as a Senior Counsellor in Tertiary Education:
- Senior College Counsellor in tertiary education: client base students and staff.
- Managing a college counselling service across two campuses and establishing and maintaining links with community-based support groups across Greater Manchester.
- Achieving an excellent national OFSTED (the UK official body for inspecting schools and colleges) college inspection in 2008 which reported: ‘a responsive counselling service with a well qualified counselling team’, the 2011 OFSTED college inspection reporting ‘an appreciated counselling service by both students and staff.’
- Researching, writing and implementing policies of good ethical practice for the counselling service and producing an annual report for the college executive.
- Liaising between disciplines across college regarding safeguarding vulnerable people.
- Supervision of counsellors in an interactive counselling team setting.
Please note that any publication posted by me is a thoroughly researched academic paper assessed by respected academic peers and not an unsubstantiated article on a web site.
Faulkner, M.J., (2009) ‘Ritual of Separation: An Integrative Guideline for Helping Clients from High-Intensity Faith Groups’, Cultic Studies Review, Vol. 8, No. 1, 2009, pp. 16-42.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Career counselling
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic attacks
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Work-related stress
£40 per 50 minute session inclusive of any materials required. There are no extra fees for any correspondence required by clients to their GPs, solicitors, or for any other required supportive communications.
£45 per 90 minute session (one and a half hours) inclusive of any materials required for qualified counsellors/psychotherapists, (£40 for students in counselling/psychotherapy training). For extended supervision up to 120 minutes (two hours) £55 for qualified counsellors/psychotherapists.
I am required professionally to enter into a contractual agreement with any training body or agency placement and to deliver regular supportive supervisory reports whilst working with students in training. There are no extra fees for these.
How to Pay
Fees are payable by cash or bank transfer.
Some aspects of my continuing personal and professional development undertaken:
- Supporting Students with Eating Disorders, CENTRA
- Meditation and Mindfulness, Triratna Buddhist Centre, Manchester
- Visualisation and Hypnotherapy, Hopwood Hall College, Manchester
- Sex, Drugs and Alcohol Conference, TH Consulting, Manchester
- Issues in Child Death Bereavement, The Alder Centre, Liverpool
- Mentoring and Befriending Students, Hopwood Hall College, Manchester
- Domestic Violence – Positive Steps Forward, Women’s Aid, Bolton
- Cancer Bereavement, Hopwood Hall College, Manchester
- Managing Strong Emotions, Mind Fields College, Manchester University
- Post Traumatic Stress and Approaches to Counselling, Salford University
- Research Methods and Practice, Salford University
- Aspergers And ADHD, Hopwood Hall College, Manchester
- Introductory Voice Workshop for Trainers, Hopwood Hall College, Manchester
- Study Skills as an Expert Learner, Hopwood Hall College, Manchester
- Mindfulness Workshop Series, Triratna Buddhist Centre, Manchester
- Safeguarding Awareness: Continuing Professional Development, Hopwood Hall College, Manchester
- Grade 1 college lesson observation assessment: ‘Outstanding … ‘Very well prepared, learning materials were clearly presented and well used to promote learning … Excellent communication skills demonstrated, passionate about the subject area … Very good classroom management was demonstrated.’
- 16 years experience of managing a busy and innovative counselling and communication skills training section within a tertiary Health and Social Studies setting as counselling and communications courses leader, having achieved student retention and achievement rates of 98-100%.
- Performing quality assurance audits within that setting including accreditation and internal verification for UK external moderating bodies (CSCT, ABC, CPCAB and NCFE).
- Working within an OFSTED inspected setting and the UK National Vocational Qualifications (NVQ) remit including BTEC National Diploma in Health Studies; BTEC National Diploma in Care; and Foundation Degree in Health and Social Care.
- Lecturing on the MSc in Professional Training, BSc Hons Joint Degree, Diploma in Counselling, and as supervisor on BSc in Counselling and Complimentary Therapies at the University of Salford.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am unavailable for therapy or supervision at the moment.
Types of client
Supervision & training
COUNSELLING SUPERVISION.View supervision profile