Martha O' Brien M.A MBACP
I am a qualified and BACP registered Person-Centred counsellor.
Counselling provides you with the space and time to think about your experiences, your relationships, and your relationship with yourself. This helps you to develop your own understanding of what you are feeling and why, and consider if there are changes that would be helpful for you.
The fact is all of us can have experiences which bring up difficult emotions or reactions for us, but it can often be incredibly difficult to talk about them, which can leave us feeling alone, unheard, frustrated, low, angry, or scared.
These experiences might be things like;
- patterns in your relationships which feel unhelpful or unhealthy for you
- ways of reacting to situations which affect how much you feel able to engage with life
- a particular life experience which was difficult and which you would like support to work through
- difficult or negative emotions about yourself
My work as a counsellor is to facilitate your exploration - compassionately, non-judgmentally, safely, adventurously - of what you are experiencing. The aim is that you gain a deeper understanding of yourself and your responses to your experiences so that you can feel connected to what feels healthy for you and respond and make decisions from that place.
My Counselling Practice
I work from a professional centre in Norwich city and currently offer evening and day time appointments. Finding the right counsellor is important so I provide a reduced cost initial meeting for you to ask any questions, talk about what has brought you to counselling, and to discover if working with me feels right for you.
I am a registered member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy, meaning that I have been trained to a standard accredited by them, and abide by their code of professional ethics and practice. I have regular supervision and training to ensure that I am working to the best of my abilities in the best interests of my clients. I hold professional insurance and an enhanced DBS.
Training, qualifications & experience
Masters Degree in Counselling - University of East Anglia
Post Graduate Diploma in Person-Centred Counselling - University of East Anglia
Postgraduate Certificate in Psychology - Oxford Brookes University
Counselling and Mental Health Experience
6 years experience providing;
- one to one counselling to adults and adolescents working with 4 mental health and further education organisations in Norwich
- running group support sessions for mental health conditions
- developing and delivering training on counselling and mental health
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Carer support
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Work-related stress
- Initial 30 minute meeting £20
- Regular 50 minute counselling session £45
- Concession prices for counselling students in personal therapy
You are very welcome to email or call me to arrange a free, no-obligation chat over the phone about what I offer, or to arrange an initial appointment. As I will be with clients in session the majority of the time, the best way to contact me is email, and then we can arrange a time to talk over the phone or in person. If you do contact me by phone please leave a message on my voicemail and I will return your call.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Wheelchair user access:||No|
The office I work from does have a flight of stairs leading up to it.
I currently have appointments available on Thursdays and Fridays.
Types of client