Marta Szapiel - Counsellor and Psychotherapist (MA, PGDip, MBACP)
I am a professional and experienced psychodynamic couple and individual psychotherapist.
I offer a safe, non-judgemental, empathic and confidential space, in which we can together reflect on and understand your difficulties.
Making a decision to start psychotherapy is a brave and positive move towards identifying the roots of your problems, achieving lasting psychological change and increasing your life satisfaction.
Couple counselling and psychotherapy
You may seek help with your relationship because:
- You struggle to feel emotional and sexual closeness and would like to find a way to reconnect with each other
- Something upsetting or distressing has happened and you are both struggling to cope with it, for example this could be loss, bereavement or illness
- You are trying to cope with the aftermath of an affair
- You are no longer communicating, which leaves you feeling unheard, ignored or uncared for
- You experience high levels of conflict with frequent arguments that can get very heated and out of control
- You struggle to understand each other or see things from your partner’s perspective, which leads to you both feeling unhappy, confused or misunderstood
- You would like to improve your parental relationship
Individual counselling and psychotherapy
You may seek help because of experiencing the following difficulties:
- Struggling to build close and satisfying relationships with other people
- Anxiety and depression
- You have suffered a trauma and you cannot stop thinking about it
- Struggling with poor self-esteem and a lack of confidence
- Loneliness and a sense of isolation
- Feeling stuck with unhelpful patterns of behaviour
Training, qualifications & experience
I trained at Tavistock Relationship, a centre of excellence for psychodynamic relationship therapy, where I completed a Post-Graduate Diploma and an MA in Psychodynamic Couple and Individual Counselling and Psychotherapy. I continue to work at Tavistock Relationships as a visiting clinician.
I am a fully registered member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (MBACP), and I abide by their Codes of Ethics.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Photos & videos
Initial assessments £70-90
Initial assessments and regular sessions last 50 minutes.
I offer a limited number of vacancies with reduced fees for students and those on low income. Please contact me to enquire.
Relationships are an essential part of our lives. Close and satisfying bonds with people make us happier and more resilient; they improve our well-being and physical health.
Couple counselling is about helping you to build, maintain and develop healthy relationships. For some couples their issues may seem clear, while others seek help as they struggle with a general sense of unhappiness. Partners often describe their counselling experience as a journey, during which they learn how to find words to share with each other their true feelings in a way that enables closeness, intimacy and kindness.
Individual counselling offers an opportunity for you to share your difficulties, that you have struggled with on your own, with a professional counsellor. You can only change things for the better if you gain a new understanding of your problems. Counselling provides a reflective and thoughtful space that may help you make sense of your experience. What people often appreciate about their individual therapeutic experience is that it allows them to find new, helpful ways to look after themselves and build happier relationships with other people.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|