Marnie Collin (MSW, Dip SW, PgDip Counselling, Registered Member MBACP)
28 Forth Street
Based in central Edinburgh I have a wide range of experience working in health and social care dating back to 1991.
After completing my Masters in Social Work I wanted to focus on working therapeutically with people and so began formal training in counselling.
To complement my postgraduate Diploma in Counselling I also trained as a bereavement counsellor and a relationships counsellor. In addition I have also completed in depth training in trauma counselling as well as extensive training in counselling people with a learning disability.
Over the years my work experience has been wide ranging. I initially provided support to clients within mental health agencies before working for 6 years within an HIV agency where I supported those facing terminal illness, disability, discrimination and addiction.
I then worked as Manager and Counsellor for 15 years in a specialist counselling agency for adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse where I counselled individuals who experienced complex post-traumatic stress disorder and were affected by debilitating shame, anxiety and depression and many other symptoms.
I also have experience working within a couple counselling service which gave me a sound understanding of relational dynamics and how to provide effective therapy to couples and individuals with relationship issues.
I believe my varied background has enabled me to work sensitively and effectively with the experiences that individuals bring to my private practice including emotional difficulties, relationship issues, loss of meaning or/and a desire for deepening self awareness.
I am passionate about the potential benefit of counselling having personally witnessed how it helps the people I support find relief from their distress and achieve personal growth.
I aim to provide a warm, welcoming, professional and ethical service that enables people to find a sense of wellbeing and personal fulfillment in their life and relationships.
In addition to my practice from EH1 Therapies I also have a small number of sessions available from McDonald Road, EH7.
My website gives more detailed information. Please do feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Training, qualifications & experience
My formal qualifications and training incorporates:
- BA Communications (Queen Margaret College, 1991).
- CCETSW Diploma in Social Work / Master in Social Work (University of Edinburgh, 1997).
- COSCA Certificate in Counselling Skills (2000).
- Professional Certificate in Management Non Profit Organisations (Open University, 2002).
- COSCA validated Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling (University of Edinburgh, 2007).
- Relationships Scotland ACCEPT Certificate in Couples Work (2009).
- Year one of Diploma in Gestalt Psychotherapy (Edinburgh Gestalt Institute, 2016).
Since achieving my Diploma in counselling I have been eager to continue learning and have sought out further opportunities that reflect the issues that my clients bring to me and cover areas that enable me to be a more effective therapist. Some of the other training I have undertaken includes:
- Foundation Training in Loss and Bereavement Counselling - Cruse Bereavement Care
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Participant and Teacher training with Mindfulness Scotland.
- Mindful Compassion Training with Professor Paul Gilbert and Choden
Applying Psychodynamic Thinking to the Practice of Supervision - Scottish Institute for Human Relations.
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Level 1 Training for the Treatment of Trauma with the Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Institute.
- Advanced Professional Training in Dissociative Processes and the Therapeutic Use of Self with Val Wosket at Jordanhill College.
- Psychotherapy with People with Learning Disability who have experienced sexual abuse with Respond, London.
- Assist Suicide Prevention Training – NHS Fife.
- Mentalising Skills Training with NHS Fife Psychology Department.
- Transactional Analysis 101 with the Institute of Transactional Analysts.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Attachment disorder
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
Initial consultation fee (up to 50 minutes) - £50.
Individual counselling session (50 minutes) - £50.
Couple counselling session (50 minutes) - not currently available.
The fees are fixed in April and are reviewed annually.
Non attendance of appointments and cancellations with less than 48 hours’ notice will be charged full price.
For short term work payment is due on the day. For longer term work payment can be made monthly.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Varied availability including Sundays
Types of client