Marnie Collin (MSW, Dip SW, PgDip Counselling, Registered Member MBACP)
28 Forth Street
I have worked in a variety of settings including mental health services, a family centre, an HIV support service, Cruse Bereavement Care and Relationships Scotland Couple Counselling. My most recent post was Manager and Therapist within a counselling service for adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse. In addition to my generic postgraduate Diploma in Counselling I have undertaken specialised counselling training in trauma, bereavement, relationships and learning disability.
I believe my varied background has prepared me to respond sensitively to the wide range of experiences that bring people into therapy including anxiety, depression and post natal depression, relationship issues (including separation and divorce and affairs and betrayals), abuse, low self esteem, low self confidence, loneliness, bereavement and also for less specific issues such as experiencing loss of meaning or/and desire for deepening self-awareness.
I am passionate about the potential benefit of counselling having personally witnessed how it helps the people I meet find relief from their distress and achieve personal growth. I aim to provide a warm, welcoming, professional and ethical service that provides the right conditions to enable people to find a sense of wellbeing and personal fulfillment in their life and relationships.
In addition to my practice from EH1 Therapies I also have a small number of sessions available from McDonald Road, EH7.
My website gives more detailed information. Please do feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Training, qualifications & experience
My formal qualifications and training incorporates:
- BA Communications (Queen Margaret College, 1991).
- CCETSW Diploma in Social Work / Master in Social Work (University of Edinburgh, 1997).
- COSCA Certificate in Counselling Skills (2000).
- Professional Certificate in Management Non Profit Organisations (Open University, 2002).
- COSCA validated Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling (University of Edinburgh, 2007).
- Relationships Scotland ACCEPT Certificate in Couples Work (2009).
- Year one of Diploma in Gestalt Psychotherapy (Edinburgh Gestalt Institute, 2016).
Since achieving my Diploma in counselling I have been eager to continue learning and have sought out further opportunities that reflect the issues that my clients bring to me and cover areas that enable me to be a more effective therapist. Some of the other training I have undertaken includes:
- Foundation Training in Loss and Bereavement Counselling - Cruse Bereavement Care
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Participant and Teacher training with Mindfulness Scotland.
- Mindful Compassion Training with Professor Paul Gilbert and Choden
Applying Psychodynamic Thinking to the Practice of Supervision - Scottish Institute for Human Relations.
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Level 1 Training for the Treatment of Trauma with the Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Institute.
- Advanced Professional Training in Dissociative Processes and the Therapeutic Use of Self with Val Wosket at Jordanhill College.
- Psychotherapy with People with Learning Disability who have experienced sexual abuse with Respond, London.
- Assist Suicide Prevention Training – NHS Fife.
- Mentalising Skills Training with NHS Fife Psychology Department.
- Transactional Analysis 101 with the Institute of Transactional Analysts.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
Initial consultation fee (up to 50 minutes) - from £50.
Individual counselling session (50 minutes) - from £50.
Couple counselling session (50 minutes) - not currently available.
The fees are fixed in April and are reviewed annually.
I am registered as an approved provider by some medical insurance companies so check with me if you have cover.
Non attendance of appointments and cancellations with less than 48 hours’ notice will be charged full price.
For short term work payment is due on the day. For longer term work payment can be made monthly.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Varied availability including Sundays
Types of client