Marnie Collin (MSW, Dip SW, PgDip Counselling, Registered Member MBACP)
28 Forth Street
My aim is to provide a warm and welcoming professional and ethical service that enables people to find joy and personal fulfillment in their life and relationships.
Hello my name is Marnie Collin and I am a fully qualified and registered counsellor working in the heart of Edinburgh. I am passionate about counselling having personally witnessed how it can help people with a wide range of emotional and mental health difficulties, how it can eliminate or minimise troubling symptoms so a person can function better and enhance their health and wellbeing.
I have a wide range of experience of working in health and social care dating back to 1991. After completing my Masters in Social Work I quickly knew that counselling was where my passion lay.
In addition to completing a postgraduate Diploma in Counselling I have also trained as a bereavement counsellor and a relationships counsellor and have completed in depth training in counselling people with a learning disability.
I have worked with those facing terminal illness, disability, discrimination and addiction within an HIV support agency. I worked for 15 years in a specialist counselling agency for adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse where I supported individuals who were affected by complex post-traumatic stress disorder and who struggled with shame, anxiety, low self esteem, low self confidence and depression amongst many other symptoms. My work with a couple counselling agency gave me a sound understanding of relational dynamics and how to provide effective therapy to couples and individuals with relationship issues including affairs and betrayals and separation and divorce.
I believe my varied background experience has equipped me in my private practice to effectively support people with the wide range of difficulties that bring them into counselling.
How do I work?
My Diploma in Counselling combined theoretical insights from the psychodynamic and person-centred traditions. I practice primarily as a psychodynamic counsellor and psychotherapist. This means that I believe in the importance of the unconscious and past experience in shaping current behaviour. Working in this way I aim to build an accepting and trusting relationship where both of us can be actively involved in the therapy. Through this an understanding of your inner world and its influence over past and present can come into awareness and enable the possibility of change.
The counselling I offer is also influenced by Gestalt psychotherapy where the primary aim is the development of awareness as a means of increasing people's choice and flexibility.
I am able to offer short term counselling for dealing with immediate issues (minimum of six sessions) or longer term psychotherapy (months or years) to work with more complex or longstanding issues. I am fully committed to providing a respectful and non-judgemental service which is offered at a pace that suits your needs.
I firmly believe that the relationship between therapist and client is crucial to determining whether counselling will be effective. I therefore offer an initial consultation session to enable us to assess whether it feels like we can work together and also whether counselling is the best option to address your needs. This consultation is provided with no obligation to proceed further.
My website gives more detailed information. Please do feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Training, qualifications & experience
My formal qualifications and training incorporates:
- BA Communications (Queen Margaret College, 1991).
- CCETSW Diploma in Social Work / Master in Social Work (University of Edinburgh, 1997).
- COSCA Certificate in Counselling Skills (2000).
- Professional Certificate in Management Non Profit Organisations (Open University, 2002).
- COSCA validated Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling (University of Edinburgh, 2007).
- Relationships Scotland ACCEPT Certificate in Couples Work (2009).
- Year one of Diploma in Gestalt Psychotherapy (Edinburgh Gestalt Institute, 2016).
Since achieving my Diploma in counselling I have been eager to continue learning and have sought out further opportunities that reflect the issues that my clients bring to me and/or cover areas that enable me to be a more effective therapist. Some of the other training I have undertaken since qualifying includes:
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Participant and Teacher training with Mindfulness Scotland.
- Mindful Compassion Training with Professor Paul Gilbert and Choden
Applying Psychodynamic Thinking to the Practice of Supervision - Scottish Institute for Human Relations.
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Level 1 Training for the Treatment of Trauma with the.
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Institute.
- Advanced Professional Training in Dissociative Processes and the Therapeutic Use of.
- Self with Val Wosket at Jordanhill College.
- Psychotherapy with People with Learning Disability who have experienced sexual abuse with Respond, London.
- Assist Suicide Prevention Training – NHS Fife.
- Mentalising Skills Training with NHS Fife Psychology Department.
- Transactional Analysis 101 with the Institute of Transactional Analysts.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Attachment disorder
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
Initial consultation fee (up to 50 minutes) - £50.
Individual counselling session (50 minutes) - £50.
Couple counselling session (50 minutes) - not currently available.
The fees are fixed in April and are reviewed annually.
Non attendance of appointments and cancellations with less than 72 hours’ notice will be charged full price.
For short term work payment is due on the day by cash, cheque or bank transfer. For longer term work payment can be made monthly.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Varied availability including Sundays
Types of client