Mark Snelling MA (Oxon), PGDip, MSc, MBACP (accred)
I am an experienced counsellor and psychotherapist, drawing on many years of international work and clinical practice. I respond to a broad spectrum of difficulties, including depression, anxiety, relationship problems and burnout, as well as more severe and enduring mental illnesses. I have specialist expertise in psychological trauma and have supported many clients through the aftermath of overwhelming events, both in the UK and overseas. Other key areas of experience include workplace stress and addiction. I offer face-to-face appointments in Harley Street and Richmond-upon-Thames as well as online sessions to clients outside London and around the world.
I offer an initial consultation, free of charge, so that you get the chance to meet me without any sense of pressure or obligation. If we then feel that we would work well together, we can discuss how many sessions to arrange and where. (See below for fees).
Alongside my private practice, I work in organisational and charity settings as well as the National Health Service (NHS). I have been fortunate to work with a great diversity of clients from a range of social, cultural, ethnic and faith groups. I also have long experience of supporting expatriates, including aid workers, missionaries, journalists, security personnel and servicemen and women. Prior to training as a therapist, I was first a foreign correspondent and then an international aid worker.
My main training is psychodynamic, which is based on the idea that our patterns of relating to ourselves and others are formed in the earliest years of our life. As such, I aim to help you identify the emotional core of the difficulty you are experiencing so that we can work to resolve it in the present.
I am also trained in a variety of specialist trauma treatments, including Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), and work with the full range of traumatic experience, including childhood abuse, sexual violence, military combat, kidnap and torture. I have additional training in online counselling and offer sessions via webcam, e-mail, Instant Messaging and telephone.
I also offer Dynamic Interpersonal Therapy (DIT), a 16-session treatment that looks specifically at counter-productive relationship patterns and how to change them.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have been privileged to study at a number of centres of national and global excellence in counselling, psychotherapy and psychosocial research, where I have undertaken the following trainings:
- MSc Therapeutic Practice for Psychological Trauma - Distinction (Chester University)
- Full training (Parts I, II & III) in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR Extra, UK)
- Certificate in Understanding Trauma: Principles and Practice (Tavistock and Portman NHS Trust, London)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling (University of Brighton and Wpf Therapy, London)
- Certificate in Counselling Skills (Wpf Therapy, London)
- Accredited (British Psychoanalytic Council) practitioner of Dynamic Interpersonal Therapy (DIT)
- Certificate in Online Counselling (OSCE, UK)
- Accredited to use the Attachment Style Interview (ASI)
- Trained practitioner of the Trauma Resiliency Model (TRM), a biological-based system for reducing and eliminating the symptoms of traumatic stress.
- Trained practitioner of Trauma Risk Management (TRiM), a peer support protocol developed by the UK Armed Forces
- Qualified Workplace Mediator.
Other areas in which I have undertaken continuing professional development (CPD) include Critical Incident Stress Debriefing (CISD), Responding to Kidnap, Crisis Management, Psychosocial Responses to Disasters, Psychopharmacology and Ecotherapy.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Attachment disorder
- Career counselling
- Domestic violence
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have extensive experience supporting people in workplace settings.
I do not charge for our initial meeting online. After that, my fees are £70 per session. I accept payment by cash, cheque or bank transfer.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client