Mark McDonnell MA, MSc, UKCP (accredited psychotherapist)
01603 731002 / 07954 405277
A bit about me
I am 61 and came to psychotherapy training after a lot of life experience. I have worked in industry, living and working in various different countries. I have brought up a family. I practice meditation and have lots of cultural and sports interests.
What happens in our sessions?
We meet at the St Barnabas Counselling Centre in Norwich (NR2 4PU) where I rent rooms. Most of my work is managing a counselling charity and offering low-cost counselling there so I only have limited availability for private work at the moment.
For an hour the space is yours. There are many ways that healing, acceptance and peace of mind can be found:
- sometimes you may want me to really try to understand what its like for you at the moment;
- at other times you might need me to really hear and acknowledge what has happened to you or been done to you;
- you may need to be skilfully accompanied as you work through traumatic experiences and try to free yourself from their hold on you;
- you may need me to engage with you in a searching conversation as you try to make sense of life and find meaning in things again.
Is it time-limited?
You can have as many sessions as you need. There is no limitation. We usually meet at the same time each week for an hour.
Training, qualifications & experience
I trained as a person-centred psychotherapist at the Metanoia Institute in London. I am a registered and accredited psychotherapist with the UK Council for Psychotherapy (ukcp.org.uk). I have completed five years training at Masters level. As well as the academic side, the training included undergoing several years of personal therapy and doing a lot of work on my own self-knowledge and awareness. After March 2019 I will be able to offer couples counselling on Thursday evenings.
Before becoming a therapist I spent five years in teaching and over twenty years in industry, working in the UK, Spain and the USA.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Relationship problems at work.
- Life changes such as
going to college or university,
promotions or redundancy,
becoming a carer,
- Ageing and facing one's own mortality.
- Finding meaning in life.
The first session is offered at £20 so that you can see whether it is right for you to work with me. Thereafter sessions cost £45 per hour and we usually meet weekly.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|