Marie Howard. Counsellor BACP. Psychotherapist UKCP. Supervisor. NHS experience
To open up and talk about our difficulties, requires trust and a feeling of being at ease with the person we're with.
I would seek to offer you this, and help you feel at home in my sunny, peaceful room with wildlife and trees all around.
People tell me that I have a professional, sensitive and warmly human way of being as a therapist.
I am a professional Counsellor and Accredited Psychotherapist, with over 15 years of experience - including NHS. My personal therapy room, is a purpose built wooden cabin, with beautiful private view. It offers you an uplifting space to talk confidentially. Free parking is available.
Making Contact with me:
- I would like to hear from you. Please email or phone me, then we can see if meeting up together for a free introductory session would be helpful.
Helping you - drawing on a wealth of experience:
For over 15 years, my professional work has focused on supporting people's psychological health, and encompasses a breadth of experience. I have provided psychotherapy in the NHS (Torbay), worked in the field of alcohol counselling, supported Carers in the Community and worked in a psychiatric hospital for those with more complex mental health needs.
How I would approach working with you;
- I work with sensitivity and would listen carefully as you share your experiences and respond genuinely to how you are.
- As issues are understood more fully, you may well feel less alone with them and can find new ways of being that allow you to cope better and feel more positive.
- I will also encourage you to listen inwardly to yourself, so that we can see more clearly what is important for you and what needs to be known. This process of listening inwards can be helpful in many ways - it can support you to make decisions in a clearer way in your life and allow you to reconnect to a fuller sense of who you really are.
- I would purposefully focus on your strengths and resources too, which you may feel out of touch with at present. At it's heart, my approach to therapy is rooted in Mindfulness – this is the natural ability we each have to be more aware in our lives and to live as fully as possible in this present moment.
Short or Long-term support?
- It is up to you how many sessions you need. For some people just a few sessions can help them and bring about change.
- Others may need more sessions of longer term therapy, where childhood experiences, life patterns and deeper trauma may be explored gradually and in more depth. In longer term work, it is very common to discover that an inner sense of well being has been covered up by the need to close down, due to the impact of difficulties and disappointments that have been met in life. This may mean that you have found yourself repeating unfulfilling patterns, and perhaps feel stuck in some way. Our work together may then focus on acknowledging some of the self-protective patterns and beliefs you have about yourself, which may now restrict your connection to a fuller sense of yourself.
Training, qualifications & experience
My Experience. I am a qualified and experienced Counsellor and Psychotherapist, registered as a professional member of the BACP and UKCP, with an MA in Core Process Psychotherapy.
I have provided psychotherapy in the NHS (Torbay) for over 3 years as a volunteer, worked in Bristol as a counsellor with people affected by addictions, in a psychiatric hospital for those with more complex mental health needs and supported carers in the community and children with special needs in schools.
For over 15 years, my professional work has been focused on supporting people's psychological health and encouraging change that feeds their personal sense of well being. This has been within the NHS, family, schools and community settings. I find this has given me real lived experience that enables me to bring a very human genuineness to how I work as a therapist and a steadfast capacity to be with people in their difficulties.
My Personal Experience. I bring a sensitivity to my work as a therapist which reflects my understanding of what it is like to be a client, how it feels to try it for the first time and the questions that may need attention before even beginning.
I came to have counselling myself for the first time many years ago,when someone close to me died. I found it extremely helpful and from this point realised how much I could learn about myself and my relationships through therapy. I have continued for many years, appreciating the ongoing support I have felt from my therapist as many life changes unfolded for me.
Through professional and personal experience I have a special interest in:
- Single parent issues.
- Family relationships.
- Bereavement -how we come to know and heal our grief
- The transitions of women's lives
- Divorce and Separation
- Carer's experiences and needs
Professional Membership and Insurance
I have professional membership with the BACP (British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy) and the UKCP and adhere to their ethical standards and am fully insured.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Bipolar disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
My rate is £47 hour. I have a limited number of concessionary spaces.
I feel a genuine enthusiasm for this work and greatly appreciate getting to know each person and the unique personal experience they bring.
I enjoy running, gardening and being in nature.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Mondays 1-5pm Tuesdays 8am -5pm, Wednesdays 8am- 5pm, Thursdays 8am-5pm and Fridays: 8am-5pm.
Types of client
Supervision & training
Supervision for you:.