Hi and welcome to my profile my name is Maria. I am an accredited member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and an Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing (EMDR) Therapist registered with the EMDR Association UK and Ireland.
Due to the Coronavirus I am currently undertaking all my work online or via telephone.
I realise it can be a daunting step starting your search for a therapist and a minefield trying to make sure you pick the right person. It takes courage to do this but you are not alone, because whether it is me or another therapist, we will be there with you to support you in the experience you are about to embark on.
I could use this space to tell you all about my qualifications, experience and how I work and that is important but to me it is not the most important thing. Everyone on here has to be qualified and provide proof of this. Everyone will have different levels of experience and work in different ways. However, as far as I am concerned the most important thing is the relationship between you and me. You need to feel safe, understood, respected, not judged and to feel you can work in conjunction with me. That basically you feel comfortable with me.
So in order to do this my job is to work with you using my skills, knowledge and experience to support you to heal yourself. I believe everyone has the potential to move towards being an integrated, complete person and the first step in doing this is developing insight and understanding of the problem, whatever it is. From there, I will work alongside you to develop a tailored approach that will harness your strengths and give you the best chance to gain mastery over your mind, and therefore your life.
Very briefly I am currently working in my private practice and for the NHS in Primary Care Mental Health, (Psychological Wellbeing Service (PWS) previously known as IAPT Huntingdon at Step 3) with clients with common mental health issues and those experiencing effects of trauma. My private consulting room is based in Kimbolton but I offer support to anyone that wants to access my support from this base.
I have experience in long-term and short-term work with individuals, couples and group work. I have a diverse range of clients from all walks of life.
I also provide clinical supervision for counsellors, psychotherapists and professionals working in the "caring professions". This can again be face 2 face or online via an online service such as Skype.
If you would like to find out more about me, my qualifications, experience and so on you can look on my website or give me a call and we can have a chat about what your needs are. Alternatively you can send me an email.
I look forward to hearing from you if not I wish you well in your search.
Training, qualifications & experience
A Registered Independent Counsellor/Psychotherapist with the UK Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (UKRCP)
An Accredited Member of the British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP)
A member of the EMDR Association UK and Ireland
- Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing (EMDR) Practitioner. I have completed all 4 parts of core EMDR training including working with complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Supervision Endorsed by the BACP
- Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapeutic Skills & Theory
- Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
- Certificate in Counselling Studies
- Certificate in Counselling Skills
- Transactional Analysis 101
- Marriage Care Couple Counselling
I regularly attend continued professional development (CPD) training and workshops to further advance my development and to add to my skills and update my knowledge. For example I have attended:
• Assessment and Management of Mental Health Clinical Risk Level 2
• Safeguarding Children Level 3
• Compassion Focused Therapy
• ACT training
• Rape Crisis England and Wales Understanding and working with Sexual Violence
• CHOICES - Understanding the effects of Childhood Sexual Abuse
• The Journey from Hurt to Healing: Working with Survivors of childhood sexual abuse (Individuals & Groups)
• Freedom Programme – (domestic abuse - Individuals & Groups)
• Safeguarding Adults
• Certificate in Awareness of Bereavement – Sue Ryder
• Child Sexual Abuse - Create Lasting Change Utilising the Power of the Inner Child. (Penny Parks)
• Counselling Clients through Family Issues
• Techniques in Counselling - Applying theory to your Practice
• Anxiety and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
• Variety of Child Protection Training
• Incest and Sexual Abuse Survivors Training on Dealing with the effects of childhood sexual abuse
• Abuse – ‘An insight into offender behaviour’
• Alcohol, risk taking behaviour and links to sexual health
• Too Hot to Handle - Sex and Sexuality
• Domestic Abuse, Drugs and DASH training
• Sand tray with Adults
• Counselling with Tools and Props
• Working with Trauma
• Working with Ritual Abuse Survivors
• Working with Stimulant Use- Effective Treatment Options
• Working with the Inner Child
• Self Harm
• Anger management,
• Direct work with children
• Attachment disorders
• Cambridgeshire Local Safeguarding Children’s Board Train the Trainer
• Rape Crisis England and Wales Approved Trainer Training
I have a full training list available on request.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Parenting and step-parenting
• Free 15-minute telephone consultation prior to sessions
• Assessment (60 minutes) - £50 Counselling £70 for EMDR
• Treatment Psychotherapy/counselling (50 minutes) - £50 EMDR (50 minutes £70) - EMDR sessions commonly are 75 minutes in length. Cost would be £105
As a BACP Registered and Accredited therapist and Registered Member of the EMDR Association UK and Ireland, I adhere to the strict ethical guidelines of my professional associations, which ensures the safety and well-being of my clients, as well as maintaining the on-going standard of my practice, supervision, and continuing professional development.
I hold a recent enhanced DBS certificate (formerly called a CRB certificate), and have full professional indemnity insurance.
Also available UK wide for online therapy via an online service such as Zoom, fees as above.
Available to work with Employment assistant programmes, work place schemes and insurance companies.
Appointments are currently available on Mondays between 09:00 and 19:00.
EMDR Association membership No. M0568
UKRCP Registration No. 026422
BACP Registration No. 636249
You can call me on 07725 336733 or email firstname.lastname@example.org I will endeavour to get back to you as soon as possible, usually within 24 hours.
All communications are confidential.
Thank you for visiting,
Maria Malone, Psychological Therapist and EMDR practitioner (MBACP Accredited)
M Malone Counselling
Making that initial call to a therapist is a big step and can cause a lot of anxiety and apprehension. You can contact me by calling, text or email whatever feels right for you. If you call it is likely you will have to leave a voicemail due to me seeing clients and I will endeavour to respond within 24hrs. Initially I will respond in the same manor in which you contacted me but ultimately I will speak to you so we can talk through what you want to gain from therapy. This will also give you an opportunity to see if I'm the right fit for you.
Following our telephone consultation, if you are comfortable with me, we will book a face to face assessment and begin our work together. Your first session will be an initial assessment session; this will be for 1 hour. This session will give us the opportunity to discuss what issues have brought you to therapy and what your expectations of therapy are. We will discuss the counselling contract on how I will provide my services and the expectations of you in our work. We will discuss the number and frequency of sessions, how any fees will be paid, what happens if you miss a session or are away on holiday and I will also explain Confidentiality and note taking. You will also have an opportunity to ask me any questions you may have.
Choosing a therapist is an important step and this will give you the chance to decide if you are happy to work with me. If we both feel we connect and can work together, then we can arrange weekly sessions (recommended for continuity and consistency).
Each therapy session lasts 50 minutes. If you require a different frequency of sessions, other than weekly, this can be discussed at the assessment session.
I offer an LGBTQI friendly service.
I am committed to anti-discriminatory and equal opportunity practices and see this as integral to the way I work.