Maria Lawford -Counselling & Supervision Services
I offer short/ long term counselling and over the last 20 years have worked with a variety of psychological concerns related to understanding and managing symptoms of anxiety and depression. These symptoms may be due to difficulties within family relationships, feelings of sadness, loneliness & isolation; traumatic experiences; anxiety and stress; illness, death and dying; bereavement, divorce and separation and loss; body image issues, bullying and low self esteem; work related problems and much more.
I work with the psychodynamic model which means that I pay particular attention to how our past experiences may continue to influence and sometimes interfere in our lives, our relationships with others and the way we think about ourselves in the here and now.
I also consider the particular needs and circumstances of the individual and use a variety of other therapeutic ways of thinking and working when required.
I have been involved with counselling for the last 20 years in a number of organisations within the private and public sectors.
I continue to work within the NHS setting specifically with those suffering acute illnesses i.e:
- renal problems
with physical injuries i.e:
- burns injuries
- road traffic accidents
- work related accidents
and also with chronic health conditions i.e:
- MS & other neurological conditions
- palliative care
I have several years experience in providing clinical supervision to NHS staff and other professionals and also provide clinical supervision in my private practice to those working in the public, private and voluntary sectors. I hold an Adlerian Integrative Approach Post Graduate Diploma in Supervision.
I am an accredited registered psychodynamic counsellor registered with the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (556254) since 2006.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BACP member since 2002, accredited counsellor since 2006
- Post Graduate Diploma in Supervision, ASIIP
- M.A in Psychoanalytic studies at Tavistock & UEL (2012)
- Advanced Certificate in Trauma - Focused CBT at Centre for Stress and Trauma (2006)
- Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling at WPF affiliated Chelmsford Counselling Foundation (2002)
I have attended a number of group (IGA) and supervision related courses (BPF) over the years as well as specific seminars related to psychodynamic way of thinking, trauma and the body/mind relationship.
- I have several years experience of being involved with counselling training as Certificate Course Co- Leader and Process Group Leader with Chelmsford Counselling Foundation
- I currently provide teaching to NHS staff (and for several years at Anglia Ruskin University) on issues related to working with burn injured and traumatised patients and on topics related to patient care.
- I have supervised groups and individuals since 2008 within the public and private sectors.
- I currently provide clinical supervision within the NHS to counsellors, psychotherapists & psychologists and reflective practice sessions to nursing staff & other professionals.
- In my private practice I currently provide individual supervision to psychotherapists & counsellors working in private practice and organisations.
- I have presented at the British Burn Association conferences in Liverpool 2013 & Chelmsford 2014.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have a particular interest and experience in working with:
- coping with an acute illness or poor health & newly diagnosed health conditions
- living with chronic health conditions
- traumatic incidents & injuries; its impact on the body and mind
- managing trauma symptoms and psychological effects of past/recent trauma
- grief, loss and separation- death and dying, relationships, family, work
- I offer once weekly sessions at £50
- I have limited availability due to other commitments but within this can offer some day/evening appointments.
- There are good public transport links by tube (Loughton & Debden) and bus (20)
- If travelling by car, the M11 (from London) and M25 (Waltham Abbey) are 5 minutes drive away.
- There is parking close by.
- Fees can be paid weekly with cash, cheque or via bank transfer
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Limited day and evening sessions available
Types of client
Supervision & training
I am a psychodynamically trained counsellor and since 2008 I have supervised groups and individuals within the public and private sectors. .View supervision profile