Margaret Smith Psychotherapist & Supervisor BACP accred, UKCP reg. BABCP accred
Finding the right person to work with when you are looking for a therapist is important. The need for a confidential space where you can feel heard, understood and empowered lays the essential foundations for change to take place.
I am passionate about the quality of the therapeutic relationship as a key element to facilitate change. Following my initial counsellor training, I had the opportunity to deepen my learning and understanding of this when studying for my MSc in Person-Centred Psychotherapy and devoted my dissertation to ‘ The Quality of Presence within the Therapeutic Relationship’. In my view this ability to be present rests on my commitment to being empathic, accepting and genuine in therapy sessions.
The quality of presence is further enhanced by my regular mindfulness practice. This helps me to establish and develop our working relationship.
I have experience in working therapeutically with children, adults and couples as they have explored the experiences that have impacted on their day to day living. These have included:
- Relationship difficulties – with self and with others,
- Separation, loss and bereavement
- Anxiety and stress
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Specific phobias
- Feelings of shame and low self-worth
- Trauma – including violence and abuse in both adult and childhood relationships
- Questions about sexuality and sexual orientation
- Gender identity
- Chronic pain and chronic fatigue
I am able to offer both person centred psychotherapy and cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). These are very different forms of therapy and I am happy to explain the advantages of each of these modalities.
I also teach mindfulness MBSR and MBCT to groups and individuals. I have successfully completed my Mindfulness Teacher Training with Bangor University’s Centre for Mindfulness Research and Practice, they are at the forefront of mindfulness training in the UK and insist their students receive supervision and follow the Good Practice Guidelines for mindfulness based courses.
I welcome people from all walks of life. I am able to offer a ground floor consulting room for anyone with mobility difficulties. My initial session is free, providing the opportunity to discuss the support and type of therapy that you are seeking and our possible agreement to work together.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Diploma in Person Centred Counselling (University of Salford)
- Certificate in Working with Children and Young People (PCCS, Manchester)
- Certificate in Person Centred Supervision (Temenos, Sheffield)
- MSc in Person Centred Psychotherapy (Temenos, Sheffield)
- Certificate in Couples Counselling (Macclesfield Counselling and Training Centre)
- Post Graduate Diploma Advanced Practice in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (University of Cumbria)
- Certificate of Competence in Teaching Mindfulness (University of Bangor)
I have 20 years experience working as a counsellor/psychotherapist. I have set up a counselling service and provided counselling for children in three primary schools, been employed as a counsellor and CBT therapist for adults in the NHS for over 16 years, and worked in private practice as a psychotherapist for individuals and couples and supervisor for counsellors. I teach Mindfulness (MBCT/MBSR) to groups in the locality.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Work-related stress
Initial 30 minute session is free
Individual one hour session: £50 (I offer occasional concessionary rates and this can be negotiated individually).
Couple therapy one hour session: £65.
Supervision £50 per hour and £70 per 1.5 hours.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Friday Morning and Afternoon
Types of client