Mandy Alexander MBACP (Dip Contemporary Psychodynamic Counselling)
Glenmore Community Centre
Hi! I am a caring, fully trained and experienced counsellor who specialises in working with people struggling with anxiety, depression, loneliness & loss, as well as relationship difficulties. I'll work with you on a short or long-term basis, even for only one session, whatever you need - and I'm happy to work flexible hours to fit in with your busy lifestyle.
I'd describe myself as a warm, compassionate (but not perfect!) person with an extensive background working within the social care sector. This experience taught me how vitally important it is to work alongside people in a trusting and respectful manner. Some of my major specialism/s include working with, and supporting:
- People with complex mental health difficulties
- People experiencing relationship difficulties at home, with friends or at work
- People struggling with depression, loneliness or anxiety
- Young people and young adults
- People with feelings of confusion as to their culture, sexuality or identity
- People facing a terminal illness and their families
- Bereavement support for carers both before and after the loss of their loved one
- People experiencing a chronic illness, such as ME/CFS, Fibromyalgia etc
- Young people leaving the local authority care system.
Training, qualifications & experience
I hold a diploma in contemporary psychodynamic counselling and also a certificate in cyber therapy, making it possible for me to offer you the flexibility of online therapy, and I use a variety of theories on which to base my counselling practice. However, my main area of expertise involves my understanding of how well we manage our emotional life and, at the same time, conduct ourselves in our close personal and professional relationships - and I use this knowledge to gauge the extent to which our experiences are affecting our ability to achieve and enjoy high quality close, warm and fulfilling relationships in our current life. It also gives us an insight into the way we to manage the unpredictable and difficult things that life so often throws at us.
My primary experience includes working alongside and supporting:
- Adults with complex mental health needs
- Adults and young people struggling with depression, anxiety and loneliness - and who find it difficult to build rewarding personal and professional relationships
- Adults and young people facing resistance and resentment in seeking to identify and achieve their chosen gender identity and sexuality
- Children, young people and their families who found themselves in vulnerable situations, facing difficult life situations
- Children and young people with cancer and their families - sometimes with a terminal illness receiving palliative care - providing practical, emotional and, when needed, bereavement support
- Adults facing terminal illness - providing practical and emotional support
- Carers and families of people with a terminal illness, undergoing palliative care; providing support both before and after the loss of their loved one
- People with a chronic illness or disability, for example chronic fatigue syndrome or ME, fibromyalgia etc
- Young people who had been cared for by a local authority, during the latter stages of their cared-for experience, supporting their transition towards an independent life.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Carer support
- Childhood bereavement
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Terminal illness / palliative care
- Young people leaving local authority care.
Photos & videos
Office-based counselling: £30 per 50 minute session; first, exploratory session: Free
Instant 'live' chat: (over secure platform (VSee)): £30 per up to 50 minute session.
Email (over secure platform (Hushmail)): one email from me (of at least 500 words) in response to yours: £30.
Package of four emails paid in advance in one payment: £100.
Four email package should be completed within 6 weeks.
I also offer concessions for students and people on a low income; please feel free to get in touch and ask for details.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 2pm - 9pm Saturday 10am till 2pm
Types of client