What kind of counsellor am I?
I offer a person-centred service to individuals and couples. You can find out more about what it means to be 'Person-Centred' by simply carrying out a search on the internet; but essentially it means that I offer you a safe place to explore those difficult feelings in an environment of genuine care and empathy without fear of judgement.
Where can you find me?
From December the 18th 2018 I will be based in the village of Bridge of Weir, Renfrewshire. I am (of course!) happy to continue to work with Ayrshire clients, but as I now work from my consulting room in Bridge of Weir this could mean a journey of between 30 and 50 minutes, depending on the time of day. I am available most Saturdays between 8.30 am and 12.30pm
What else should you know about me and my service?
When we meet I hope that you will quite quickly be at ease - even if you have never been to counselling before! I hope also that you will find me flexible and accommodating, so that if you are unable to commit to the same time, or even regular sessions, that I will fit in with your life as best I can.
Training, qualifications & experience
- After working with young people for many years both as a class teacher and then as a pupil support teacher, I began counselling training to work with adults in 2011. After completing my counselling training I decided to continue teaching and working with Relationships Scotland . I left secondary teaching in April 2016 to concentrate on my private counselling practice and work with Relationships Scotland.
- I have a busy private practice, but I am always happy to take new enquiries. If I am unable to offer you an appointment within one week I'll try to give you the contact details of a counsellor I know.
- I am a co-author of the course 'Listening to Children and Young People - a counselling approach for school-based staff' at Strathclyde University's Centre for Lifelong Learning. https://www.strath.ac.uk/studywithus/centreforlifelonglearning/professionallearning
- I am an accredited counselling trainer and deliver the COSCA Certificate in Counselling Skills at Strathclyde University as part of the tutor team within the Centre for Lifelong Learning.
- I am one of a team of counsellors to the student population of Strathclyde University.
- MA (Hons) - Glasgow University
- PGCSE (English) - Strathclyde University (Jordanhill)
- Certificate in Counselling Skills - Strathclyde University
- Diploma in Counselling - Strathclyde University
- Certificate in Couples Counselling - RS Edinburgh
- COSCA Trainer (Counselling and Psychotherapy Scotland)
- Temenos Person-Centred Certificate in Counselling Children and Young People.
I am currently undertaking supervision training at Crossreach, Glasgow
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Bipolar disorder
- Child related issues
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I am happy to work with young people in crisis who are 11+. I have had success with younger children, but this is not my specific area of expertise. If you need the contact details of a counsellor who can provide therapy for children of 10 years or less, then please email me.
From October 1st, 2017 my fees will be as follows:
Initial consultation - £30
Hourly fee thereafter - £40
Couples - £50
In-school, or other agency work - £280 per full day or £150 per part day of 3 hours (continuous).
In-service training - I can provide staff training in Listening Skills, Working with Conflict and Building Relationships. - £300 per day.
Note about fees - Can I ask you to give me a minimum of 24 hours notice of change to appointments. If you are unable to attend for reasons other than illness or similar, then can I please ask you to pay all or part of the hourly rate we have agreed. I'll try to mention this in the first session, but if I forget can I then ask you to bear this in mind.
Location of appointments
I am no longer able to see clients in Ayrshire.
*** Can I ask that you also supply a mobile number as well as an email, if at all possible. I have noticed that a number of replies have gone directly into the 'spam' folder of Hotmail, Gmail and other web-based email services. Alternatively, you may like to drop me a short text on 07572 860945 - I always aim to reply to enquiries within a couple of hours, if at all possible.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am currently unable to offer counselling to clients with mobility issues due to the number of stairs needed to access my room.
Monday 9am - 6pm * Tuesday 9am - 6pm * Wednesday 9am - 6pm * Friday 9am - 6pm * Saturday 10am - 2pm
Types of client