Malak Niakan, Dip, PgDip, MA, Registered MBACP
Counselling offers a welcoming, safe and non-judgmental space for you to reflect and explore the issue of your concern. As an experienced counsellor and psychotherapist, I’ll be there to support you on your journey. I will build a reliable and supportive relationship with you where you can feel heard, respected, recognised and accepted. Together we will look into your issue and I will support you to make sense of your feelings and thoughts about what has/ is currently happening in your life.
I will help you to reflect on your life experiences whether they are current or whether they happened in the past. These may include childhood difficulties (childhood abuse &/ neglect), abusive or difficult relationships, past traumatic experiences that have resulted in fear and anxiety, or self-hate and depression, and work related issues.
I will support you to gain a deeper understanding of who you are and what you want from your life which will help you to reconnect to yourself, improve your self-confidence, improve self-esteem and reduce anxiety. I can also help you to overcome difficulties in your relationship/s and improve your communication skills leading to a more enjoyable relationship. Together we can find the root causes of your particular difficulty that will in turn help you to clear your mind and feel healthier and more positive.
As a counsellor & psychotherapist I have been trained in Integrative Approach which makes it possible for me to incorporate methods and processes that will help you to look into the issues of your choice. I will be there to support you by listening, guiding and helping you to transform your approach to life experiences and find the root causes of your problem. You can achieve change in the way you react and respond to issues with a more positive and focused outlook. With more than twelve years of experience working with a wide range of issues and clients from different backgrounds I can support you to unblock your way through life.
I meet with a supervisor regularly to review my clinical work. I am also a qualified clinical supervisor and currently supervise other counsellors.
As a qualified couple practitioner I work with couples to work on their relationships and gain a better understanding of each other based on a good communication, trust and respect. I work with individual adults, older people, professionals and couples. I work short term as well as long term or open-ended therapy depending on your need and decision.
I am a registered provider of counselling and psychotherapy for healthcare insurance companies including Vitality & WPA.
I offer a free telephone consultation for up to 20 minutes. This helps me to hear about your issue and decide whether my service will suit you. I will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have within that time frame.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Registered member of British Association of Counselling and psychotherapy BACP. Reg#058837
- Post graduate Diploma and Masters Degree in Counselling & Psychotherapy from University of East London.
- Certificate in Couples and Relationship from The Grove
- Diploma in Supervision from The Grove
- Certificate in Mindfulness from WPF.
- Highly experienced in facilitating mental health awareness workshops in the community.
- Long term experience in short and long-term therapy with individuals depending on their presenting issues.
- Experience of working with a wide range of clients from different backgrounds and many different difficulties.
- Experience of working in private practice for more than ten years as well as in the third sector and the NHS (for a short time).
- Experience of working with work-related issues for nearly three years with an EAP company as a counselling service provider.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Carer support
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Individuals: £70 (reduced fee available depending on your financial situation)
Initial consultation for individuals: £60
Skype(individuals only): £50
Initial consultation for couples: £80
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Mondays 3-9pm Tuesdays 12-9pm Thursdays 9am-9pm Fridays 6-9pm Saturdays 12-5pm
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I am a qualified supervisor having recently obtained a Diploma in integrative Supervision.