Dr Lynn Suter, CPsychol; AFBPsS
I am a Chartered Psychologist and Associate Fellow with the British Psychological Society (BPS). I am also registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) as a Practitioner Psychologist (Occupational and Counselling). I have 12 years experience in working one-to-one with clients and have worked in a range of therapeutic settings including the NHS and the Third Sector. I am particularly interested in how childhood experiences can impact us and our lives in adulthood.
I am based in Stratford-upon-Avon, approximately 15 minutes walk from the town centre. Car parking is also available. Daytime and evening appointments are both offered.
I use a range of therapeutic approaches including cognitive behavioural therapies (CBT), psychodynamic and person-centred so that your therapy will be tailored to suit you and your needs. I work on a short-to medium-term basis offering up to 24 sessions. The number of sessions that you may require will be discussed at our initial assessment, which is a meeting for us both to decide if we would like to work together. There will also be on-going review of the number of sessions needed if we do decide to work together.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BSc. (Hons) Psychology, The Open University
- MSc. Occupational Psychology, Birkbeck College, University of London
- DPsych. Counselling Psychology, The University of East London
I originally trained as an Occupational/Business Psychologist, so if the world of work is part of what brings you to therapy, I am well-placed to help. Later on, I also trained as a Counselling Psychologist due to my interest in how people are impacted by their early experiences. I worked for some years as Clinical Lead/Director for a charity that specialises in helping people who have been raped or otherwise sexually violated. Thus trauma, and especially sexual trauma, is my main area of specialism. The effects of trauma can be several and long lasting e.g. poor self-esteem, depression, guilt, shame, anxiety and self-destructive behaviour including self-harm and addictions. I have worked with all of these presentations during my work with the charity.
I have also worked in an adult secondary mental health care setting. In this role my work mainly dealt with anxiety, depression, anger and personality disorder. When working within primary care in the NHS, my focus was on bariatric patients and their relationship with food.
- Working with trauma and dissociation – Positive Outcomes for Dissociative Survivors
- Working with the traumatised body – Sensori Motor Institute
- European Society for Traumatic Stress Studies Certificate in Psychotraumatology
- Becoming an expert witness – BPS approved
- Neuropsychology training for counselling psychologists – BPS approved
- Mapping in Cognitive Analytic Therapy – ACAT approved
- Healing the fragmented selves of trauma survivors – Janina Fisher
- DBT Emotional Regulation – SDS, BPS approved
- Trauma and Abuse Group and First Person Plural Conference 2019
- BPS Approved Supervision Skills and Advanced Supervision Skills
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy
- Compassion Focused Therapy
- Counselling Online
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
Health and Care Professions Council
The HCPC are an independent, UK-wide health regulator. They set standards of professional training, performance and conduct for 16 professions.
They keep a register of health professionals who meet their standards, and they take action if registered health professionals fall below those standards. They were created by a piece of legislation called the Health Professions Order 2001.
Registration means that a health professional meets national standards for their professional training, performance and conduct.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Sessions last for 60 minutes and are charged at £70
There will be some low cost appointments also available.
I can offer daytime and evening appointments and I am currently only working on-line.