Lorraine Fothergill Registered MBACP
Finding out about counselling often comes during periods of feeling overwhelmed or stuck. It could be that an experience that happened in your past is causing you deep distress now. Or you might be struggling with problems to do with your circumstances, a personal relationship, or family relationships. You may feel that you want to change how your life is working out, or how you feel about yourself. You may also feel unsure why you are experiencing symptoms of a generalised anxiety disorder or panic. You may also be affected by Coronavirus and want to talk about the challenges of day to day living, loss, or managing anxiety specific to the pandemic.
By coming to me, I can help you understand more about your difficulties. And also what makes you feel better. Working through problems, gaining a deeper understanding of what keeps you stuck and how to make changes, will help you engage more fully in your life. We can also start a process in which anxiety can be understood for what it is and learn ways to alleviate its dominance.
I will offer you a safe space where you will be listened to and not judged. Being with you as you face difficulties will be a powerful part of our work together. Initially, feeling vulnerable with me may be a challenge in itself. But this can provide a starting point for therapeutic change.
Getting to know you will give me knowledge about how best I can help and support you. I will also better understand the challenges you may need to overcome in order to make positive and ongoing change. I will notice if you avoid certain challenges, and help you meet whatever is right for you. I am a qualified integrative counsellor, which means I have trained in more than one counselling approach. Working with different styles of counselling means I can find the best approach for you.
I offer short and long term counselling sessions, depending on what you are looking for.
Additional information about me
As well as working at my private counselling practice I am also employed as a counsellor to NHS clients in Hull. I provide mid to long term counselling to adults seeking counselling for anxiety and depression, and many other issues.
I have recently completed additional, in-depth counselling for depression training specifically for NHS counsellors.
I have extensive experience working with young people and adults 16 - 25 years. This includes working at York College providing short term counselling to students.
I co-wrote a course of workshops covering: improving self-esteem; managing stress and anxiety; and how to build confidence. I have delivered these workshops in various therapeutic and supportive settings to men and women.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Counsellor at Focus Counselling Services in Hull, current employment. I provide mid to long term counselling to adults experiencing anxiety and depression, and many other issues such as bereavement for example.
- York College Counsellor, 2016 - 2017 providing short term counselling to students aged 16+
- 1-2-1 Counselling 2016 - 2017 providing 7 sessions to adults
- York Mind 2011 - 2014, providing mid and long term counselling to adults
- York Women's Counselling, 2013 - 2015, counselling women who seek a female only service
- I worked in alcohol and drug abuse recovery centres in Selby and York, 2011 - 2014. I provided counselling to clients struggling with addiction, including drug, alcohol and prescription drug dependency
- I have written and delivered workshops to client groups on self esteem, building confidence, and stress management
- I am a registered member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy
- I have a BACP accredited post graduate Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy
- I participate in continuous professional development training and courses
- Gestalt group work and practice 2014 - 2015
- I receive professional monthly supervision
- Employed by Horton Housing to support people at risk of, or experiencing homelessness 2013 - 2015
- English tutor to young people and adults, in UK and abroad 1995 - 2017
- Previously worked in schools teaching English (2006 - 2011)
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
First session is £25.00 while you try things out and decide whether you would like to continue.
£40.00 per hour session normal rate.
I offer concessions for clients with a low income, including students who are self-funding.
My counselling room is in the centre of York and not far from the University. Bus stops are very close by. It's also possible to lock bikes outside the building on bike racks. The building is comfortable and friendly with a waiting area if you arrive early. It is also entirely wheelchair accessible.
I am covered by indemnity insurance for all counselling work.