Linda Thomas - Counselling, Mindfulness Teacher, Mindful Self Compassion Teacher
What do I offer?
Welcome and thank you for reading about me. I have many years of experience working as a qualified, accredited therapist who has extensive experience working with individuals with a wide range of difficulties that may be affecting their relationships, work and the way they feel about themselves.
Life can be challenging, difficult and upsetting, there are times when our usual ways of coping aren’t enough. Sometimes our problems can become all-consuming, overwhelm us and we feel thrown off balance, this may be a time when it may be helpful to seek counselling.
I feel passionate about helping people find a way through their difficulties. I offer you a warm, compassionate, confidential space where you can talk freely about your concerns, feel listened to and where we can make sense of what you are experiencing, gain a deeper understanding and find the best way forwards for you. If you’d like to continue working with me we can discuss how we move forwards, helping you to feel empowered and develop a sense of freedom and choice. I am also happy to refer you to other services and practitioners if we don’t feel that my way of working is right for you.
I offer both short and long-term work and have worked in the voluntary sector, NHS, charity and private practice with a wide variety of adults, adolescents and couples with a range of difficulties; stress, anxiety, depression, low self-esteem/confidence, bereavement, relationship problems, family difficulties, health problems, trauma, anger, sexual abuse, work difficulties and unresolved issues from the past.
If you thinking about having counselling I suggest making an initial appointment, I try to offer an initial appointment within a few days. This gives us the opportunity to meet each other, for me to hear about you and why you are looking for support at this time and for you to see if you feel comfortable with me and get a feel of how I work. At this stage there is no commitment to ongoing meetings.
I usually suggest that we meet weekly however this is not always the case. Sometimes meeting less frequently can be appropriate, I try to be flexible and agree a regular time and day which is convenient to us both.
As your counsellor I aim to:
- Provide a safe, compassionate space for you to feel listened to
- Respect and value you as a person
- Help you express your emotions
- Help you gain understanding and insight into your feelings and worries
- Help you to find your own solutions and a way forwards
- Help you develop more skills/tools to manage your life
- Help you to identify what cannot be changed and bring acceptance to what cannot be changed
I understand how hard it can be to juggle work and family commitments, you may be in ill-health, have transport difficulties or live further afield. For this reason I offer flexibility with appointments and the option of telephone counselling or Skype sessions if you would prefer, (please phone/email to discuss if this would be suitable for your needs).
I provide counselling and supervision for student counsellors at reduced rates.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am an accredited member of the BACP, British Association of Counsellors & Psychotherapists. I abide by the code of ethics, confidentiality and standards of practice of this is professional body
Prior to becoming a counsellor I had a career in nursing and have experience of how psychological difficulties can arise from a physical illness.
I have experience working with adults, adolescents and couples from a wide variety of cultures and backgrounds gained through the voluntary sector, 6 years of working in GP surgeries in the NHS and private practice.
Whilst working in the NHS I developed and facilitated a variety of psycho educational courses.
In Bristol I have worked with clients and their families who have suffered distress around long term health problems and facing end of life. Together we have found ways of facing the challenges, managing and reducing the distress that this brings and coming to terms with the changes that their illness brings to their life, adjusting to their ‘new normal’ and finding ways of moving forwards.
I currently teach an 8 week mindfulness course and an 8 week Mindful Self Compassion course in Wiltshire and self-compassion workshops. Please see my website www.mindfulminds.co.uk for more information and dates of courses.
Training & Qualifications
- Masters in Mindfulness & Compassion - 2013 - 2016
- Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling 2007
- Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Studies 2005
- Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Skills 2005
- Level 2 Certificate in Introduction to Counselling 2004
- Supervision certificate 2013
- Principles of CBT, University of South West England 2009
- Introduction to Compassion Focused Therapy - CFT - Professor Paul Gilbert 2013
- Introduction to Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) for Depression - Prof Mark Williams 2010
- Mindfulness in Medicine and Psychology a first hand approach - John Kabat-Zinn 2010
- Foundation in Mindfulness Professional Training 2010
- Mindfulness Teacher Training (MBSR/MBCT) 2010
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy for Cancer (MBCT-Ca) - Bangor University 2012
- Motivational Interviewing 2009
- Brief Solution Focused Therapy 2009
- Couple Therapy For Depression 2012
- CBT for phobias, social anxiety, health anxiety, depression, chronic pain, chronic fatigue, OCD, generalised anxiety, diabetes, panic disorder and agoraphobia 2009 - 2014
- TA101 - Transactional Analysis 2011
- ACT - Acceptance Commitment Therapy - Stephen Hayes 2011
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Bipolar disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
My fees are £55 for individuals
My fees are reviewed annually, (28 days notice will be given when charges are increased)
Fees are payable at each session by cash or cheque with a valid cheque guarantee card.
Cancellation Policy: Appointments canceled with less than 24 hours notice of the appointment time and missed appointments will be charged at the full rate.
Non attendance fee - Full rate - £55
My counselling room in Lea, near Malmesbury has free onsite parking and disability access.
I am an accredited member of the BACP, British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists and adhere to their Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy to ensure safe working and practice.
I am committed to ongoing personal and professional development and continue to engage in personal therapy, supervision and ongoing training for the benefit of my clients.
Please feel free to contact me for a chat with no obligation for us to work together, 07765 680618. If I am unable to answer your call, please leave a message on my confidential line and I will return your call as soon as possible or alternatively email me on:
email@example.com or have a look at my website www.mindfulminds.co.uk
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday - Thursday, - daytime & evening
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I offer supervision to practising counsellors and trainees who are seeking support in their work and a space where they can reflect on their practice. .View supervision profile