Linda Skeats MSc Specialist CBT (Trauma) BABCP Accred
Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) is one of the most effective treatments for conditions where anxiety or depression is the main problem and is recommended by the National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE). It is a type of psychotherapy which looks specifically at how our thoughts can influence our mood and behaviours.
The aim of CBT is to provide an opportunity for you to explore your problems and learn new techniques for improving your psychological health and well-being, in a safe, confidential and supportive environment. We will work collaboratively to develop a joint understanding of how your problem affects you personally, and agree on a treatment plan based on identifying and committing to specific therapeutic goals.
I undertake to discuss each stage of the therapy process with you and to ensure that you understand the approach and the reason for applying the agreed CBT techniques. My role is to help you through this process without criticism or judgement, to listen to your difficulties and provide feedback and suggestions based on my professional observations and specialist training.
Fully qualified in Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) and hold a specialist qualification in Trauma-Focused CBT. Both these approaches are recommended by NICE for treating PTSD.
I am a fully qualified and accredited member of the British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Therapy (BABCP) and bound by the BABCP's ethical code of practice. These standards are available to view at www.BABCP.co.uk
Recognised by Aviva and Axa healthcare.
Training, qualifications & experience
- MSc Specialist Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (Trauma) (Queen’s University, Belfast)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (Queen’s University, Belfast)
- Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing Therapy (EMDR) Part 1, 2 & 3
- Postgraduate Diploma Gestalt Psychotherapy (London Metropolitan University)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Psychological Management of Trauma (University of Ulster)
- Certificate Solution Focused Brief Therapy (Brief, London)
I regularly attend workshops, seminars and conferences to keep up to date with current research and best practice, for example:
- Masterclass with Professor Paul Salkovskis: ‘Worried Sick? Extending the application of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) from Health Anxiety to Medically Unexplained Symptoms (MUS) and Long Term Medical Conditions(LTC)
- ’'Difficult-to-treat depression: an integrated approach' with Stephen Barton , Newcastle University
- 'Using Cognitive and Behavioural approaches to manage the impact of persistent pain: Practical skills and interventions' with Helen MacDonald
- 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome workshop' with Katharine Rimes
- 'Targeting Mood' with Christine Padesky
- 'Clinical Skills: Working with Headaches' with Paul Martin
- 'CBT for PTSD' with Professor Anke Ehlers, University of Oxford
- 'CBT for Social Anxiety' with Professor David Clark, Oxford University
Over 15 years' clinical experience.
- A senior manager within the NHS, managing a national counselling service.
- Experienced clinician, treating clients from within primary care, Belfast Trust and private practice.
Fully accredited with BABCP & BACP
Registered provider with Axa & Aviva
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Friday appointments only
Types of client