Linda French MBACP Counsellor and Supervisor
I have been a qualified counsellor for fourteen years and I know from professional and personal experience the difference that counselling can make. I offer warmth, empathy and a non-judgemental, reflective approach in exploring whatever is troubling you. I aim to offer you a relationship in which you feel heard, understood, valued, and supported in moving your life forward as you want to. I believe that it is within such a relationship that people are best able to heal and grow.
My approach is Integrative, so in our work I will be noticing what is happening in the present moment for you as well as considering how your past experiences may be affecting the present. I believe that, by becoming more aware of how our past has shaped the way we relate to ourselves in the present, we can develop a more self-compassionate relationship, which in turn helps us to move through the difficulties in our lives. I have a particular interest in working with shame and have recently run workshops on it for other counsellors.
I am highly experienced in working with a wide range of issues, including relationship issues, childhood abuse and neglect, loss and issues of difference. I have worked in diverse environments such as prisons, higher education, the NHS and community substance misuse services.
If you are coming for couples' therapy, I offer a safe and contained space in which we can work together to focus on the underlying problem between you. I aim to enable both of you to gain as much insight as possible into the dynamics between you and to develop new ways of working through the difficulties in your relationship. If you have decided to end your relationship I will support you both through this and will work with you to make the process as good as it can be.
I am also a qualified counselling supervisor.
Training, qualifications & experience
* Advanced Diploma in Psychotherapeutic Counselling (Integrative).
* Diploma in Counselling Supervision.
* Certificate in Couples Counselling.
* Facilitator: CPD Workshops on Shame.
* Certificate in Person-Centred Counselling.
* BSc. (Hons) in Psychology and Sociology.
* Private practice for the past 7 years.
* Currently a Counsellor and Clinical Advisor at a local counselling centre.
* Support Worker, then Counsellor at the Matthew Project for 8 years.
* High-intensity IAPT Counsellor at MIND for 6 years.
* Prison Rehabilitation Worker for 3 years.
* Psychology Tutor for 5 years.
* Accredited Counsellor with the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy.
* Credentialed counsellor with MIND.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Gender dysphoria
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-esteem
- Personality disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Sex problems
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
Individual Therapy (short- or long-term): £45 per session.
Couples Therapy (short-term only): £60 per session.
Supervision: £45 per hour
Cancellation notice for a session: 24 hours.
* The first session is mostly an opportunity for you to see whether I am someone you feel comfortable with and would like to work with.
* I offer short-term or long-term counselling.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Wheelchair user access:||No|
If stairs are an issue, do let me know and we can arrange to meet on premises that are more accessible.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training