Ligia Carla Howarth, Integrative Counsellor, Registered - BACP
I am a qualified Integrative Counsellor, bilingual (English and Portuguese). I am an empathetic, non-judgmental and confidential counsellor. I have experience in the areas of anxiety, depression, relationship problems, stress, abuse, domestic abuse, trauma and other issues. I am here to support you to get through any difficulties that are happening in your life. You can feel comfortable and be yourself because I am a modest and caring person. I have passion for what I do and I will make sure you always feel safe around me.
My aim is to support people the best way I can. I believe I can help people to find their meaning in life. I work with adults and young people.
Whilst completing my studies, I volunteered for a number of mental health and community organisations as a counsellor.
I am a caring person who has passion to work with people. Equality is something I take very seriously, as everyone should be treated as equal. I also strongly believe that human beings have the capacity to change and heal themselves; however, sometimes we still need professional support. I am a very good listener and I can support others with empathy and compassion.
I work with different approaches and I apply these approaches focused on each individual’s needs, as everybody is different and what suits one person might not suit another.
I believe the relationship between the client and the therapist is very important to the therapy process. I currently work with clients with depression, anxiety, self-harm, trauma, abuse, addiction, bereavement and other issues.
My practice is based in Ipswich town centre and is very easy to locate. The building is very accessible and has a lift. It is a calm and relaxing environment. Once we have spoken by phone for a short conversation and you are happy to go ahead, we will arrange a time that suits you for our first face-to-face appointment
If you are unable to attend an appointment, I request that you provide at least 24 hours advanced notice. Since we are unable to use this time for another client, please note that you will be charged for the cost of the reservation for the counselling room.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have been volunteering for several years and have gained valuable knowledge and experience. Previously, I volunteered for:
• Suffolk Mind (with the Waves project) supporting individuals with personality disorder;
• Samaritans, supporting people with suicidal thoughts;
• Suffolk Family Carers, where I volunteered for the Talk Support project;
• CSV Media (now Volunteering Matters), where I was a mentor supporting vulnerable families and the community;
• MTCIC (Acorn), where I undertook my clinical practice.
I currently volunteer for Place2be at a primary school supporting children that are autistic and have some emotional issues.
• FdA in Integrative Counselling from University of Suffolk;
• Certificate in Child Psychology (Level 4) from University of Warwick;
• Certificate in Psychology (Level 4) from University of Warwick;
• BA in Integrative Counselling at University of Suffolk.
- Currently completing CBT diploma with Stonebridge college
- Foundation to Drawing and Talking Therapy
- Other training and workshops:
Certificate in Play Therapy and Creative Therapy (Life-Force), which enables me to work with therapeutic play with young people, children and adults;
- Mental Health First Aid (MHFA); Personality Disorder (KUF Awareness Level, The Institute of Mental Health);
- Introduction to Theraplay (Interactive Play Therapy), Communication with Children and Young People Affected by Early Trauma (both 2-day training with Suffolk County Council);
- Certificate in Eating Disorders (Suffolk Association for Counselling).
Talking with Bereaved People (BACP);
- Developmentally Sensitive Interventions with Adult Survivors of Sexual Abuse and Rape (Tiptoes CTS);
- A Positive Approach to Behaviour,
- Suffolk Signs of Safety and Wellbeing,
- Supporting Individuals and Families with Autistic Spectrum Disorders (all Suffolk County Council).
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
£30 per individual. £27 for students.
If you would like to make an appointment, please contact me by email or phone.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays evenings and Saturdays afternoons. Please contact to arrange a time.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|