Dr Levent Yurdakul, CPsychol, Practitioner Psychologist
I am a Chartered Clinical Psychologist with a career in mental health spanning 25 years. I work with clients across the lifespan (ages 11+) and provide psychological assessments and interventions for the majority of psychological difficulties/disorders that older children, teenagers, and adults may encounter throughout the course of their lives. I work with individuals, couples, and families.
Broadly speaking my therapeutic approach is integrative with the therapeutic relationship being the main vehicle for change. I integrate ideas and techniques from psychodynamic, humanistic/existential, cognitive-behavioural and systemic theories according to the needs of each client.
In particular I utilise Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Interpersonal Psychotherapy (IPT), paying particular attention to attachment patterns, personality and the impact of life experiences. CBT & IPT are both National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) recommended treatments. My work is informed by advances in the fields of clinical and developmental psychology, psychotherapy, the neurosciences and health/medicine in general. I am engaged in a process of continuous professional development underpinned by supervision, self-study /training and personal therapy.
My style of work can be described as person-centred, collaborative, empathic, and focused. The psychological work is usually time-limited but can be longer term depending on the needs of each client and goals of therapy.
I divide my time between central London (Monday-Tuesday) and Guildford (Wednesday-Thursday), working from high quality consulting rooms.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Accredited Interpersonal Psychotherapist and Supervisor with The IPT UK Network
- PG Diploma in Applied Clinical Neuropsychology
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology
- MSc Neuroscience
- BSc (Hons) Psychology
In the early part of my career I simultaneously trained in integrative psychotherapy and completed post-graduate training/research at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience. I then went on to complete my Clinical Psychology Doctorate and worked as a clinical psychologist in the NHS for more than a decade. Further postgraduate training in neuropsychology and psychological therapies followed. I have a wealth of experience of working in the majority of mental healthcare settings (primary care, student counselling services, community mental health teams, wards, neuropsychiatry, neuro-rehabilitation, low secure facilities, private practice and multidisciplinary private clinics).
Since 2014 I have worked exclusively in the private sector as a consultant to private hospitals as well as continuing to develop my own practice in central London and Surrey.
I am an accredited IPT practitioner and supervisor and have a particular interest and expertise in the treatment of complex depressions including Persistent Depressive Disorder (Dysthymia), and mixed mood states such as Bipolar II Disorder using an adapted and evidence-based form of IPT known as Interpersonal and Social Rhythm Therapy. I also work increasingly with clients presenting with long-standing emotional instability.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Bipolar disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bullying
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Post-concussional syndrome (mild traumatic brain injury)
- Dementias, stroke and neurological conditions
Photos & videos
- Initial assessment session (85 mins): £160
- Individual therapy sessions (55 mins): £120
- Couples therapy and family consultations (55 mins): £150
- Initial neuropsychological assessment (90 mins):£200
- I am registered with Allianz, Aviva, AXA-PPP, BUPA, Cigna, Preferred Health, Vitality and WPA
- I am happy to have a brief telephone conversation to discuss your needs and establish if I am the right person to offer you psychological therapy or to direct you to a more appropriate service/colleague.
- The details of the therapeutic contract would be discussed and agreed during the first consultation.
- Where necessary sessions can be conducted via Face Time and Skype.
- For longer term work fees can be negotiated.
- I offer a limited number of reduced rate sessions based on personal circumstances.
- I offer supervision, training and consultancy.
- I prepare expert witness reports for a range of conditions/circumstances.
- Letters and reports are available upon request and a fee can be agreed at the time of instruction.
- If an appointment is cancelled or missed without 24 hours notice the full session fee will be charged.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday & Tuesday - London Wednesday & Thursday - Guildford
Types of client