L. Faith Hewitt MA, UKCP
We all experience the emotional highs and lows of life therefore psychological support can be beneficial to absolutely everyone.
You may not know what has brought you to this place of needing help or even if counselling and psychotherapy can make a difference.
There may be a number of reasons for considering therapeutic support at this time
- A feeling of overwhelm, of stress - a lot going on with you right now
- You may be experiencing a major life change, or having flashbacks or intrusive thoughts from historical trauma
- You may have experienced a recent loss, or struggling with complex and complicated grief, with little sense of closure
- You may be struggling with depression or have noticed increased anxiety, paranoia, threat or fear
- You may recognise that something has happened in your past, that you have not quite gotten over and may want to explore this with someone ‘neutral’
- Maybe one morning you woke and you just did not feel yourself, something didn’t feel quite right, like something had shifted in you.
- Maybe you can’t fully understand it but you notice that your ability to function has been affected, you may not feel as happy as you did, have withdrawn and avoid social contact
- You might want to talk through a big decision, appreciate help in working out what you want to do, or may not want to do, what direction to go, how to move forward.
Why talk to a therapist
We may have other people in our lives with whom we feel comfortable at times to share problems and concerns. However we have certain ways of being around friends, family or partners and have developed specific ways of behaving around them that may interfere with how open and truthful we might be about how we are really feeling - particularly where we may be experiencing feelings of shame and guilt.
The beauty of the therapeutic relationship is that you can be your own authentic self, without worrying about the impact on the therapist. Whatever arises in the process can be worked with anyway.
What to expect from therapy for the first time
Meeting a person for the first time can be daunting, and if this is your first experience of therapy the process might feel intimidating and strange, as the therapeutic focus will be you. You can talk about absolutely anything and everything that matters to you. I will listen to your story, your symptoms, your goals and what you hope to get out of talking to someone. I will explore with you the challenges you are facing and see if there are ways we can work together to make sense of your experiences and to understand what might be helpful in supporting you to move forward.
Settling into therapy
A certain level of trust needs to be built with a therapist to feel safe enough to openly talk about the things that impact us. My hope is that by around the fourth session our relationship should be formed enough to know if the therapy is going to work and meet your needs or whether its not for you.
Psychotherapy offers a unique opportunity to recover from psychological pain and distress; uncover meaning; find hope; experience healing; develop capacity; realise potential; to flourish and to grow.
I offer both short or long term therapy. If you have had time-limited counselling on the NHS and would benefit from further support please contact me.
Training, qualifications & experience
- UKCP accredited and registered Psychotherapist and Clinical Supervisor.
- Professional psychotherapy training completed at The Sherwood Psychotherapy Institute (2007-2011)
- Masters degree in Integrative Psychotherapy awarded by University of Birmingham (2011)
- Personal psychotherapy throughout the training and for continuing personal and professional development beyond the course to work through issues as they have arisen.
- Clinical Supervision (2016-2018)
My theoretical model is a synthesis of psychodynamic, humanistic and systems theories. I am committed to personal and professional development.
9 years post qualification experience in private practice and 7 years working in Primary Mental Healthcare (NHS). I am able to offer short, medium or long-term therapy.
I have had the privilege of working in the following contexts: Higher Education, BAME organisations, Nottingham Counselling Service, Coping with Cancer, IAPT and EAP services.
Recent continuing professional development includes Attachment and Personality Development; Complex Trauma; Grief and Loss; Healing the fragmented selves of Trauma survivors; Inner Child work; Focusing and existential philosophies; Neuroscience and Neurobiology theories and practice; introduction to DBT, Group Analysis.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Imposter Syndrome/Perfectionism
- Loss of faith
- Age-related issues
- Cultural Issues
- Health-related issues
- Difference and Diversity
- International clients
Initial consultation - £50
Ongoing contract - £50
I am particularly interested in offering support in the following areas
- Childhood Trauma & or Abuse, shame or guilt. Depression and acute anxiety may well be symptomatic of deeper concerns.
- Cultural issues - Migration, Displacement, Home and belonging
- Impacted by suicide - Receive support with processing difficult emotions after someone has taken their life.
- Organisational Change/Restructuring
- Faith and Spirituality
- Older Persons: My clinical experience in the NHS has developed a passion for working with older clients around issues such as transition, change, loss (eg employment, redundancy, retirement, physical health challenges, impairment, ageing, death).
If you are an older client and desire psychological support I am interested in hearing from you. Home visits possible within certain mileage.
A no commitment opportunity to meet me, assess your needs and motivation for therapy; also to judge if I am the right therapist to support you. Chargeable at normal rate - £50
Ongoing open-ended contract £50. See my website for further information.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Wednesdays and Thursdays 8:30am - 8:30pm.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
Clinical Supervision .View supervision profile