Laura McCarthy MSc, CTA, Dip., UKCP, MBACP. Psychotherapist and Counsellor
2 Harley Street
Are you feeling anxious, angry, depressed or having issues in your relationship?
If right now life's events seem overwhelming, having a place to be heard, supported and understood may help. Or perhaps you're unable to put your finger on what is wrong but just feel that something is, then you may find delving into therapy can help to make sense of an issue.
Perhaps you're facing difficulties in your relationship or marriage and struggling to communicate effectively with your partner, and need a safe place in which to listen, talk and be heard.
How can I help?
I offer confidential, non-judgmental therapy in a non-discriminatory practice for both individuals and couples.
I suggest an initial session - at my standard fee - where we can meet and talk. This session will allow us both to ask any questions before we both decide if we want to go ahead.
At the end of the initial session, if you feel unable to commit to working weekly or that counselling is not for you, you are not obliged to book any further sessions.
Sometimes relationships get stuck, or someone gets hurt, and it becomes hard to talk without fighting. When working with couples, I offer a safe, impartial space to help couples to work through issues, to talk, hear and be heard.
With this style of counselling, you will learn to understand and communicate your feelings and needs more clearly, without ending up in arguments. You will learn to listen to your partner and hear how they feel and what they need from you to make the relationship better.
I offer couples the option of ongoing counselling in 60 minute weekly sessions (usually 6 - 12 sessions are required) or an intense 2-hour recovery session to get to the heart of the issue and kick-start change.
There is no one size fits all, if you may prefer to methodically through your relationship issues, then weekly sessions may suit you best (one 60 minute session is not enough time to do the work required). If you are feeling overwhelmed by the issues you are facing then an intense 2-hr recovery session might be best, followed by some ongoing hourly sessions, although for some the intense 2-hr recovery session is enough.
Mental Health Issues
I have experience of more complex work including the following disorders:
- Generalised anxiety disorder (GAD)
- Borderline personality disorder (BPD)
- Dissociative identity disorder (DID)
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Complex post-traumatic stress disorder (C-PTSD).
Training, qualifications & experience
Training and qualifications
- MSc in Psychotherapy (Middlesex University)
- Certified Transactional Analyst (CTA) (European Association of Transactional Analysis)
- Clinical Diploma in Transactional Analysis Psychotherapy (Metanoia)
- Diploma in Transactional Analysis Psychotherapeutic Counselling (Metanoia)
- Extensive specialist training in C-PTSD, DID and dissociative disorders
- Currently undertaking a Diploma in Life Coaching
To demonstrate my competence I am a member of several organisations, each of which requires the fulfilment of particular standards of training and knowledge by its associates.
- Full clinical member of the UK Council of Psychotherapy (UKCP)
- Registered member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- Member of Metanoia Institute.
- Member of the International Association of Relational Transactional Analysis (IARTA)
- Member of European Association of Transactional Analysis (EATA).
As a reflection of my work with child abuse survivors, I have been accepted as a member of:
- Ritual Abuse Information Network and Support (RAINS)
- Positive Outcomes for Dissociative Survivors (PODS)
- European Society for Trauma and Dissociation (ESTD)
- Associate Member of First Person Plural (FPP)
To ensure I continue to work ethically and in my client’s, best interests, I am fully supervised by three Training and Supervising Transactional Analysts and a Transpersonal Supervisor specialising in dissociative identity disorder (DID).
I am deeply committed to, practice and abide by the principles and ethics of EATA.
I have been in private practice for over three years and have two years’ experience in working as an Associate Counsellor at Trinity Laban Conservatoire, counselling undergraduate music and dance students.
I am also a specialist mentor for undergraduate university students with mental health issues.
In addition to my psychotherapy work, I have 20 years of business experience at board level within high-profile, high-pressure, corporate music companies and entertainment venues. Through my leadership experience, I have developed the skills necessary to support all kinds of people to thrive in stressful situations and the ability to successfully mentor and coach them into fulfilling their potential in both academia and business.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID).
Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (C-PTSD).
Photos & videos
RAMSGATE, KENT (Sun, Mon, Tues 1 - 8 pm)
£60 - 50 mins
£75 - 60 mins
£130 - 2-hour recovery session
HARLEY STREET, LONDON (Sat 9 - 11 am)
£85 per 50 min session for individuals
£120 per 60 min session for couples
£200 per 2-hour recovery session for couples
SKYPE / FACETIME
I offer online therapy at £60 per session for individuals (weekdays before 5 pm).
PRIVATE HEALTH CARE
Approved practitioner for AXA PPP, Vitality and WPA Healthcare Insurance, if you have cover, please contact your insurer in the first instance and ask to be referred to me.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Ramsgate Sun-Tues afternoon and evenings. Harley Street Sat mornings.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|