Laura Devlin MBACP (Accred)
We are all unique individuals, with our own special mix of similarities and differences to each other. As every individual is different, so is every counsellor, and therefore every therapeutic relationship. This fuels my passion for working therapeutically and my energy in looking at how we could best work together to get you to where you want to be.
It is through the therapeutic relationship that you can get to know more about yourself, find release from painful feelings, and try taking different steps to help you lead a happier life.
What I offer
I can offer you a warm and understanding therapeutic relationship in a safe and confidential space. I will meet you as an equal with honesty, curiosity and empathy. I will not tell you what to do but support you to look at what could be different for you as an individual and in relationship with other people.
Counselling can help us find the inner strength to face the challenges, trauma, pain, confusion, loss, and infinite possibilities that life brings us. It can help us make sense of what we have been through/are experiencing, support us to move away from using things like alcohol or self-harm to cope, and ease the symptoms of mental health issues such as depression and anxiety.
It is then that we are able to reach our full potential as the unique people we are. To make meaning of our experiences and make choices that are true to our self.
I have worked with clients from diverse backgrounds be that; age, gender, ethnicity, sexuality, disability or religion. I work creatively and compassionately to meet your individual needs. I want to understand what life is like for you, whether that is; what you have experienced in the past, what is happening for you now and/or where you want to go next.
I am a BACP accredited Humanistic Integrative Counsellor/Psychotherapist offering short and long-term work with individuals. I am also a Clinical Supervisor offering individual and group supervision.
Before training as a counsellor I studied drama and worked in the film and television industry. I was always fascinated by interactions between people, people’s unique internal worlds and the connection between mind, body and spirit. I realised that I did not want to recreate what I observed and experienced on film. I wanted to see how I could be helpful to others by working in the realness of the therapeutic relationship.
Since changing careers, I have also worked in the NHS, with adults with learning disabilities, mental health issues and physical disabilities, for a national charity and in education.
I feel that my background enhances my work with creativity, care, empathy and intuition.
I look forward to meeting you.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Advanced Diploma in Humanistic Integrative Counselling (BACP accredited course)
- Diploma in Humanistic Integrative Counselling
- Advanced Certificate in Clinical Supervision
- Certificate in Creative Therapy
- Certificate in Person-Centred Counselling
- Time-limited Psychodynamic Psychotherapy with Adolescents and Young Adults (14-25 years) (TAPP)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Time-Limited Counselling
- Psychiatry, Psychopathology & Psychodynamics
- Therapeutic Group Facilitation
- Mental Health
- Childhood Abuse
- Domestic and Sexual Violence
- Trauma -
- Relational Trauma
- Trauma & The Body
- Disassociation & Recovery
- Eating Disorders
- Working with survivors of Human Trafficking and Torture
- Forced Marriage
- Female Genital Mutilation (FGM)
- Working Therapeutically with Children & Young People
- NHS GP Surgery
- Further Education College
- Charity that supports women and children affected by domestic and sexual violence
- Private Practice
- Secondary School
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
£60 per 50-minute session
I offer a 30-minute initial meeting at no cost, this gives us an opportunity to see how we feel about working together.
- British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP) Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist and Registered Member
- Attends regular supervision
- Committed to ongoing professional development
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||No|
Types of client
Supervision & training
I offer clinical supervision from a Humanistic Integrative therapeutic model with a holding, empathic and creative approach.View supervision profile