Kathy Counsell MA, BSc, PgDip, MBACP
I’ve been a practicing counsellor since 2005 and have a background in mental health and psychology. I offer psychotherapy and counselling to adults and young people.
Sometimes we may know what is painful and difficult in our lives, but sometimes we only know we are living with a feeling of unhappiness and discontent. I believe you have the right to be heard and to be listened to without judgement; to try and make sense of what is happening in your life, and to have a space where you can express your thoughts and feelings.
Therapy is provided from rooms in Caerphilly. The rooms offer a safe, friendly space where you will be listened to and supported.
I am trained in Integrative counselling (Person-Centred, Psychodynamic and CBT). I have also completed further qualifications and workshops to develop my skills and am committed to continued professional development.
Please visit my website for more information about me and feel free to contact me to you have any questions or would like to set up an initial session.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Certificate of Proficiency, British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy, 2015
- Masters with Distinction in Developmental and Therapeutic Play, Swansea University, 2010
- Postgraduate Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling, University of Wales, Newport, 2004 – 2006
- Postgraduate Certificate in Counselling Skills, University of Wales, Newport, 2003 – 2004
- BSc Hons Combined Studies 2:1 (Psychology and Astronomy) University of Glamorgan, 1997 – 2000
- Grief Therapy as Meaning Reconstruction: A Trauma -Informed Approach Cruse Masterclass with R Neimeyer PhD, 2019
- 4 -Week Course Stress Resilience: A Transformational Approach, Mindful Space, 2019
- 8-Week Course in Mindfulness (MBSR/MBCT), Mindful Space, 2018
- Solution- Focused Brief Therapy, Teamworks 2018
- Using Creativity to Help Disturbed Children, Mindfields College, 2010
- Working Together to Safeguard Children, BCBC, 2007
- ACPC Recognising Abuse and Neglect, CBBC, 2006
- Supporting People with Eating Disorders, EDA, 2005
- Substance Misuse and Domestic Violence Training Day, Islwyn Drug and Alcohol Project, 2005
- Dual Diagnosis, Islwyn Drug and Alcohol Project, 2004
- Introductory Training Programme on Substance Misuse, Newlink Wales, 2004
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Asperger's syndrome
- Bipolar disorder
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
The fee for an hour-long session for individuals is £45.
Separate business fees apply.
Sessions can be on a short or long term basis depending on requirement.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|