Kathy L Barenskie NCS Accredited
- You can’t go back and change the past, but you can start from where you are and change your future.
- Now is a good time to make positive changes.
- How can I help?
"Be as kind to yourself as you are to others".
Making that phone call is always the first and hardest step. I will support you with this. Looking forward to hearing from you.
My 30 years of working in the Private and Voluntary sectors have given me a vibrant background for working with people in all sections of the community. I use my unique way of processing information to my clients advantage in my counselling work. I have great empathy and insight which gives clarity to the therapy.
Before counselling sessions begin payments must be made through PayPal. Contact me for more details.
How can counselling help?
Counselling aims to help you deal with and overcome issues that are causing pain or making you feel uncomfortable.
It can provide a safe and regular space for you to talk and explore difficult feelings.
The counsellor is there to support you and respect your views. They will not usually give advice, but will help you to find your own insight and understanding of your problems.
Counselling can help you to:
cope with a bereavement or relationship breakdown
cope with redundancy or work-related stress
explore issues such as sexual identity
deal with issues that are preventing you from achieving your ambitions
deal with feelings of depression or sadness, and have a more positive outlook on life
understand yourself and your problems better
feel more confident
develop a better understanding of other people's points of view.
Counselling can often involve talking about difficult or painful feelings and, as you begin to face them, you may feel worse in some ways. However, with the help and support of your therapist, you should gradually start to feel better.
In most cases, it takes a number of sessions before the counselling starts to make a difference, and a regular commitment is required to make the best use of the therapy.
What to expect from counselling?
During your counselling sessions, you will be encouraged to express your feelings and emotions freely. By discussing your concerns with you, the counsellor can help you to gain a better understanding of your feelings and thought processes, as well as identifying ways of finding your own solutions to problems.
The counsellor may encourage you to identify issues and, if appropriate, take personal responsibility for them. They will be able to help you recognise the effects of other people and their actions, and explore alternative ways of coping with them.
It can be a great relief to share your worries and fears with someone who acknowledges your feelings and is able to help you reach a positive solution.
~ Counselling NHS Choices
*In addition to the above I am a Yoga Meditation Teacher.
*I have a special interest in Autistic Spectrum Disorder and love to work with parents or siblings who are finding it hard to understand the diagnoses of a loved one.
Training, qualifications & experience
- I am accredited with the National Counselling Society.
- MSc Autistic Spectrum Disorder (Commendation)
- BSc (Hons) Social Psychology and Sociology
- Advanced Diploma Humanistic Integrative Counselling
- Diploma Humanistic Integrative Counselling
- Diploma in Person Centred Counselling
- Certificate in Person Centred Counselling
Workshops in the following:
- Dialectical Behavioural Therapy
- Onc level 3 understanding compassion fatigue
- Risk Management, Suicide Prevention & Risk Assessment Training
- Child Protection Vulnerable Adult Training
- Towards and Understanding of Adolescent development
- Trauma Resource and Recovery
- Issues of Sexual Violence: the counselling process by Dublin Rape Crisis Centre
- ASSIST Suicide Prevention Training
- Lifeline Telephone Counsellor Induction Training
- Conducting Clinical Assessments
- Self-harm & Alcohol Misuse
- Reflective Practice
- CRUSE Bereavement and Complex Grief
- CBT – Key Knowledge and Skills parts 1 & 2
- Clinical Assessment and Child Protection refresher training
- Serious Adverse Incident Review training
- Client Evaluation and PHA Suicide Research
- Brief Solution Focus Training
- Pink Therapy
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Asperger's syndrome
- Bipolar disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Couples counselling 1+ 1/2 hour session.
Photos & videos
I am now based in Armagh City. Contact me to arrange appointments. Making contact is always the first and hardest step. I will support you with this. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer weekday appointments.
Types of client