I am a qualified Person Centred Counsellor, having trained at the University of East Anglia - one of only two places in the UK to train in this style of counselling before it closed last year. I graduated with my Post-graduate Diploma in 2015, my Masters in 2016 and I have over 750 client hours.
I work with people of all ages, with any issues they may need to work through. Person Centred Counselling is a humanistic approach that sees the client as the 'expert' of themselves, rather than the counsellor. The approach is a non-directive one, meaning that you are unlikely to be given tasks or homework to do as may happen within approaches such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), and a lot of what happens in sessions should be led by you. However, this does not mean you are alone in your journey to feeling better - I am there to support you as you work through things. Asking for help/recognising that you need it, is one of the bravest and strongest things you can do.
I would start our work together by giving you a counselling contract that details the expectations of both of us within our counselling relationship which I am happy to email to you in advance. I will aim to be in touch with you within 48 hours to make initial contact as due to the nature of this work, I am often not able to immediately respond to phone calls.
What to expect if you choose to contact me about sessions:
- Firstly we would have a 5 minute phone conversation to see if we could potentially work together and then we could have a face to face initial assessment meeting (up to 25 minutes long, at a cost of £20) if you wanted to or we could go straight into a first full length session.
Training, qualifications & experience
My qualifications are as follows:
Post-Graduate Certificate in Person Centred Couselling (University of East Anglia)
Post-Graduate Diploma Person Centred Counselling (University of East Anglia)
MA Counselling (University of East Anglia)
I have over 750 client hours, and have worked with many different types of client of all ages on both a time limited and long term basis.
I work as a college Counsellor and have experience working with teenagers, as well as with adults of all ages (including older adults).
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Carer support
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Health anxiety
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Physical abuse
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
- Sessions are 50 minutes long
- They cost £45 per session, to be paid at the end of each session for the first month and then invoiced monthly after that.
- I am based in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk. My working hours can be flexible but at the moment my available days are Monday's and Wednesday's.
- Initial Assessment (face to face) cost - £20 for up to 25 minutes, if you want one for us to see if we wish to move forwards into sessions.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday's and Wednesday's - afternoons/early evenings, last appointment starting at 6pm.
Types of client