9 Fairway Rise
Hello there, looking for a counsellor? Can I, may I help you?
My name is Katharine Forsyth, usually known as Kate, and I live in Chard. I have been in Chard for the last 32 years. I used to work for the local council which is where I first realised that within my work I was actually counselling, allowing the people I was with at that time their time and truly listening and really hearing the problems they were facing and the feelings they were experiencing. This is why I did the appropriate studying to become a fully qualified counsellor.
I know that therapy, like our lives, can be quite a journey of discovery and hopefully a successful one especially if our therapeutic relationship is based on confidentiality, trust, justice, empathy and compassion among many other things.
- Counselling is a way of making sense of our lives.
- I aim to help my clients to make sense of and understand their being.
- I offer counselling in a safe, secure and comfortable environment
- Counselling can help enormously.
- I work mainly in the client/person centred method of counselling I do integrate and incorporate other counselling `tools’ to the benefit of the client.
- I have had years of knowledge and training in the field of counselling people with for example acquired head injuries and issues regarding loss and grief, anger and other life experiences.
- I have an Open University honours degree in Social Sciences and a registered member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy).
- I am based in Chard and offer sessions at my home or in rooms I can use that are safe and private.
- My work is completely confidential, safe and in comfortable surroundings and I am regularly supervised. Home visits locally within Chard can be considered further distances may incur a small charge.
Do please visit my website which is www.chardcounselling.co.uk
To my clients and potential clients
In order to work as your Counsellor I am obliged to retain certain information about you and to maintain these records both ethically and to fulfil insurance requirements. Other information that I create is not a legal requirement but will help me to do my job as your Counsellor. I will need to keep information such as personal details and contact details. I also process some information that may include physical or mental health details. I have an ethical requirement to collect and retain this personal information about you.
All information is kept securely and treated in confidence and I am aware of my responsibilities under General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR). In general, the confidential information I hold will only be shared if I am duty bound to disclose for legal reasons by the police or the courts or in the event that you might harm yourself or at risk of harming others. All details will be kept strictly confidential and records are kept secure.
If you have any concerns with me retaining any of your personal data in my records, please speak to me as I am sure we can discuss these issues
I can assure you that my work, as a BACP registered Counsellor, complies fully with the BACP Ethics and Code of Conduct. To access this document please use the following website address:-
Training, qualifications & experience
I am a fully qualified counsellor and I am BACP registered
BSc Hons in Social Sciences and Sociology
Fully qualified healer with South West Association of Spiritual Healers
I worked for many years for the local council with experience of helping people from all walks and situations of life.
I too have had many experiences in my life, not always good ones, which I feel mean that I can empathise fully with my clients with patience and understanding. Having been successful in the Advanced Diploma in Integrated Counselling I feel I can offer counselling that is both flexible and client centred and driven in approach.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
Other areas of counselling I deal with
As an integrated counsellor the areas of counselling I offer I feel cannot be prescriptive nor restricted for me at present.
I offer an initial free half hour session so that the client can meet me and we can discuss your individual needs and how we can work together.
Subsequent sessions are £40 for a 50 minutes/1 hour.
My life experiences have taught me a great deal about my own resilience and determination whilst recognising and respecting the sheer bravery and resolve of others. I am an active volunteer with Headway as a counsellor, the charity for those with acquired head injuries and I am the local coordinator for The Dystonia Society. I am a former founder governor for Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust at Musgrove Park Hospital. I have had previous experience as a Bereavement Support Facilitator.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Available 9 am to 5 pm every day, evening and weekend sessions by arrangement.
Types of client