Karen Van-Evelingen Reg. MBACP
Having come into Counselling/Therapy through my experiences as a client, I came to realise there is not a one size fits all approach.
Upon completing Certificate courses, I decided to train on an Advanced Diploma in Integrative Counselling (BACP Accredited) at the Iron Mill College in Exeter. My core approaches are; Attachment, Humanistic/Relational, Psychodynamic, and Transactional Analysis.
My Integrative training ensures I am able to adapt to the needs of my clients. I am able to offer short-term and long-term Counselling and Psychotherapy. Being a registered member of the BACP, I follow their Ethical Framework to ensure I work with clients ethically and safely.
Deciding to come to Counselling can feel daunting and I appreciate you may have thought about it for quite some time before deciding to take the first step. Therefore, our initial session is for us to get to know a little about each other to determine whether we can work together in a therapeutic way.
I am offering face to face appointments following COVID-19 secure guidelines. For clients who do not feel comfortable to work face to face, I am continuing to provide telephone and online sessions using FaceTime, Skype and Zoom.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Advanced Diploma in Integrative Counselling (BACP Accredited) - Iron Mill College
- Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Studies - CPCAB
- Introduction into Contemporary Psychoanalysis - The Site
- Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills - CPCAB
- Level 2 Award in Introduction to Counselling Skills - CPCAB
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
- Introduction to Ecotherapy - Counselling with Nature in Mind
- Introduction to Existential Counselling
- Relational Depth in Counselling
- Identification & Brief Advice with substance users
- Goals in Therapy
- An Introduction to Pluralistic Therapy
- Food for Thought - Eating Disorders Training
- Mental Health First Aid
- Eating Disorders and the Festive Season
- CRASAC Rape, Sexual Assault and Sexual Abuse Training
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£50.00 for 1 hour session
Concessions offered for
As a registered member of the BACP I follow their Ethical Framework to ensure I am working safely and ethically with clients.
I also currently work with three Cornish Charities:
- CLEAR, supporting children and adults of all ages affected by trauma and abuse.
- Counselling for Social Change, a Charity that supports people across Cornwall.
- The Women's Centre Cornwall, run by women for women, dedicated to helping women and girls face the challenges that modern life can present.
I am committed to Continual Professional Development to facilitate my role in the Counselling and Therapy profession, and also have monthly clinical supervision to support my client work.