Karen McDonald, Arts Therapist, Dramatherapist HCPC Reg., M.A, B.A(Hons).
Lower Leam Street
30 Albany Road
Hello. My name is Karen. I am a HCPC Registered Arts Therapist specialising in Dramatherapy.
Dramatherapy is a unique and creative form of psychological therapy. It can be a particularly helpful therapy for Children, Young People and Adults:-
- When verbal communication is difficult or it is hard express what’s going on.
- When emotions or issues are unknown, overwhelming or too confusing to express verbally.
- When words are not enough or too much to bear.
I work with people of all ages who are facing a range of issues, disabilities or diagnoses. These may include:
- Children & Young people with emotional, social or psychological difficulties, causing behaviour which may be difficult to manage or hard to engage.
- Mental health, emotional and psychological issues, ranging from depression and psychosis, to recovery from abuse or addictions.
- Learning or physical disabilities.
- Developmental or attachment disorders.
- Life limiting conditions.
- Brain injury or neurological conditions, such as a stroke or dementia.
- Physical illness
Because Dramatherapy does not rely on a purely 'talking' approach, it can allow people to communicate, express and explore indirectly, safely and in your own unique way. You do not need any previous experience or skills in drama or the arts.
In general terms, Dramatherapy aims to enable you to:
- Express your feelings, thoughts and emotions.
- Explore difficulties, concerns and relationships with others.
- Experience different ways of viewing yourself, others and issues you bring to therapy.
- Build on your strengths to help you manage difficulties and make troubling issues more bearable.
- Support you to explore and find your own resolutions.
Sessions can include using the imagination and talking, art, music, story, sand play, puppets, movement, drama and mindfulness, depending on your preferences and needs.
Training, qualifications & experience
I undertook my Masters Dramatherapy training at Roehampton University. I was awarded an M.A with Distinction through my work and research with Children, Young People and Adults in the areas of Mental Healthcare and within Educational settings.
Over the last five years I have developed my Dramatherapy Clinical experience working alongside Children, Young People and Adults within the areas of Mental Healthcare, Educational settings and a Specialist Sexual Abuse & Rape Charity.
My clients have included people with Special Educational Needs and ASD; People who have attracted the diagnosis of Schizophrenia, Bi-polar, Anxiety, Depression, Trauma/PTSD, Personality Disorder, Self-Harm, Disordered Eating and Attachment disorders.
Alongside my private practice here in Stratford-Upon-Avon I work with the specialist Warwickshire based charity Safeline, providing Dramatherapy to people at risk of sexual exploitation, Survivors and those affected by Rape and Sexual Abuse and Children presenting with Sexually Inappropriate Behaviour.
In my private clinical practice I work with clients of all ages and with a wide range of social, physical, emotional & psychological needs & difficulties.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Child related issues
- Eating disorders
- Gender dysphoria
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Personality disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I work with a wide range of ages and people with social, physical, emotional & psychological difficulties.
Please contact me to discuss your individual needs.
Photos & videos
1 hour session £50.00
Concessionary rate of £45.00 can be offered to those on a low income (i.e. Students, Unemployed)
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||Non-verbal play and interaction|
Places available again from August 2017.
Types of client