Karen Logan Counsellor/Supervisor (Registered MBACP)
Hi welcome to my profile I am a registered member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP), I am also a qualified Therapeutic Counselling Supervisor.
I have over 10 years experience as a counsellor using a range of approaches to address and explore the thoughts and feelings of the individual client. I initially began my counselling career in the voluntary sector counselling adults who experienced abuse - sexual, physical emotional or neglect. Through further continuous professional development I now also specialise in working with children, young people, and families.
I use an integrative approach to counselling as over the years and through extensive training, I have been able to gain knowledge and experience in a range of different approaches to counselling such as Cogntive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) and more recently, Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy (DDP). DDP is an evidence based approach and a psychotherapeutic treatment method for families that have children who have emotional disorders, including complex trauma and disorders of attachment, abuse or neglect. The DDP approach is often used to treat children in foster care and adoptive families where the primary goal is to support children to recover from developmental trauma and help families with their relationships I use a range of techniques in counselling sessions with children or adults using the principle of DDP - Playfulness, Acceptance, Curiosity and Empathy. For the client, counselling can be very sensitive and emotional more importantly, I feel counselling is also about building a trusting happy and healthy working relationship with your counsellor.
As a counsellor I abide by the BACP Principles and Ethics, I hold an Enhanced Disclosure from the Criminal Records Bureau which allows me to work with children and vulnerable adults.
I am aware it is quite daunting to make the first steps into exploring your problems and issues with someone you don't know, however, I endeavour to guide and support you through your therapeutic journey in an empathetic, trusting, confidential, accepting and non-judgemental and professional manner.
I use different venues around North Tyneside for counselling/supervision sessions.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Pre School Learning Alliance Training (Special Needs) (1998)
- NCFE Special Needs Assistant Certificate (1998-1999)
- NCFE 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills (2005)
- NOCN Parenting Core Curriculum (Training for Work with Parents) Parent Practitioner (2009)
- University of Sunderland Foundation Degree in Counselling (2010) Northumbria University
- Certificate of Attendance for BSc Social Work Practice Educators Supervisor Support Sessions (2012)
- Solihill Approach Foundation Course (2014)
- Ofqual CPCAB Level 6 Certificate in Therapeutic Counselling Supervision (2015)
- Edexel HNC in Social Care Practice (2013)
- STT Certificate in Working & Living with PTSD (2015)
- Advanced Knowledge in Drawing and Talking Therapy (2016)
- BACP Certificate of Proficiency (2017)
- MiSP Mindfulness Training (2018)
- NTC Mental Health First Aider (2019)
- Child & Adolescent Counselling Level 4 (2019)
- Development of Solution Focused practice in Schools (2005)
- Children with Disabilities (2006)
- Autism/ADHD ( 2007)
- Sensory Integration ( 2007)
- The Strenthening Families Programmefor Parents and Young People (2008) (Facilitator)
- Cruise - Bereavement Training (2009)
- CAMHS - Cognitive Behaviour Therapy training (2009)
- Impact of Drug and Alcohol on Parents and Children (2010)
- Behaviour and Anger Management (2011)
- Northumbria Police - Operation Encompass (Schools and Police Safeguarding and supporting children and young people involved in Domestic Abuse Incidents)
- Understanding the Role of the Designated Teacher (Safeguarding in School) Child Protection Refresher (2012)
- Safeguarding Disabled Children and Young People (2012)
- LSCB Domestic Abuse (2013)
- Lighthouse training on Self Harm & Suicide (2014)
- Play Therapy module (2014)
- Impact of Domestic Abuse on Children ( 2015)
- Anxiety and Depression ( 2015)
- Introduction to Attachment Friendly Schools ( 2015)
- NSPCC Signs of Sexual Abuse ( 2016)
- NTC - Keeping Children Safe online (CEOP)
- Equality and Diversity ( 2017) & (2018)
- Working with LGBTQ+ and LGBTQ+ Children in Care (2018)
- NTC -Signs of Safety (2018)
- NSPCC - Managing Harmful or Sexualised Behaviour in schools (2018)
- Northumbria Police - Child Sexual Explotation (2018)
- Emotional Regulation (2019)
- Stonewall - LGBTQ + Awareness ( 2019)
- Transgender Awareness (2019)
- Adult Mental Health First Aid (2019)
- Child Protection Refresher (2019)
- Designated Safeguarding Lead (2019)
- Adverse Childhood Experience (ACE) Training (2019)
- Domestic Abuse Champion (2019)
- Trauma/ACE Training (Adverse Child Experiences) (2019)
- Northumbria Police - Knife Awareness (2019)
I have attended other numerous courses over my career as a Special Support Assistant in a Special Educational Needs School (9 Years), a Family Support Worker/ Designated Safeguarding Person in a High School (13 years) such as Autism, ADHD, Anger Management.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
As an integrative counsellor I feel there are no barriers to what an individual can bring to counselling. I have a vast amount of experience of working and counselling people from a range of backgrounds, race and gender.
I also offer a counselling service to the emergency services who are dealing with stressful work related issues. People who work for the emergency services are prone to stressful and traumatic incidents which may have an emotional impact on their working or family life. However; I am aware most services do offer in-house support; but from experience I feel it is sometimes easier to talk and explore work related issues away from the work environment.
As a Level 6 qualified Counselling supervisor I have good experience of working, supporting and guiding student counsellors and qualified counsellors.
Concessions offered for
Meet & Greet:
I offer a meet and greet half hour session initially. A meet and greet session gives you the client, an opportunity to decide if you are ready to take the next step of your counselling journey. The fee for this initial session is £20. If you decide you would like to engage in counselling sessions we will discuss agreed times & venue.
Individual face to face counselling £40 per 50 minute session
Organisations individual face to face counselling £50 per 50 minute session
Supervision for trainee Counsellors £40 1.5 hour per session
Supervision for qualified Counsellors £50 1.5 hour per session
Cancellations with less than 24 hours notice may incur a £15 cancellation charge which is to cover the cost of room hire/fees/time and would need to be paid before the next counselling session.
As a counsellor I currently work in a multi agency team made up of education, health workers, and psychologists. I therefore offer counselling/supervision sessions at negotiable times.
I prefer enquiries about counselling/supervision to be emailed to me in the first instance thank you.