I am a Clinical Psychologist with more than 16 years of experience. I offer both online and face-to-face psychotherapy sessions to adults who are struggling with a wide range of difficulties including depression, anxiety, personality disorders, bipolar disorder, trauma, bereavement and relationship struggles. I also enjoy working with individuals who might not be presented with a psychiatric difficulty but want to look at the patterns in their lives in the interest of making some profound changes.
I work from a psychodynamic perspective and am equally comfortable in long- or short-term treatments. I have a deep interest in the story that lies behind each person’s life and work with my patients with curiosity and gentleness which allows them to feel at ease, but with enough directness, so that change and growth can occur.
I make use of tools from therapeutic approaches of Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), Mentalisation Based Therapy (MBT) and mindfulness in order to walk with my patients to a place of fulfillment and mental wellness. I am also an Executive Coach and hold the Professional Certified Coach credential from the International Coach Federation.
My research has focused on the mind-body interaction and I really enjoy working with people in this regard. I have presented at conferences, and published a number of papers:
- Craving Interpretation: A Case of Somatic Countertransference. British Journal of Psychotherapy, 2014
- Re-embodying the Analyst. Psycho-analytic Psychotherapy in South Africa. 2013
- Psychosomatics Today: A Review of Contemporary Theory and Practice. Psychoanalytic Review 2013
- The Sense of Bodily Symptoms. Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy in South Africa. 2010
- Reflections on Society as Borderline Mother. Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy in South Africa. 2010
- Clinical Vampirism: Review and Illustrative Case Report. Authors: K Gubb, J Segal, A Khota, A Dicks. South African Psychiatry Review. 2005
- Ph.D. Thesis: Minding the Body: Questions of Embodiment and the Practice of Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy
I was invited by her Ph.D. examiners to present a clinical paper at the American Psychoanalytic Association Winter Meeting in New York in 2016
Training, qualifications & experience
- 1994, B.Sc, University of Witwatersrand.
- 2001, B.Sc (Hons) University of South Africa.
- 2004, M. A. Clinical Psychology University of Witwatersrand.
- 2014, Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, University of Witwatersrand.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
The HCPC are an independent, UK-wide health regulator. They set standards of professional training, performance and conduct for 16 professions.
They keep a register of health professionals who meet their standards, and they take action if registered health professionals fall below those standards. They were created by a piece of legislation called the Health Professions Order 2001.
Registration means that a health professional meets national standards for their professional training, performance and conduct.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£100.00 per session
I have a wealth of experience providing psychotherapy in inpatient, outpatient and corporate settings. I have worked both for the NHS and privately.
I have provided longer-term psychodynamic psychotherapy, as well as more solutions focussed shorter term therapy in private and corporate settings. I have worked at both Cygnet Hospital and the Priory Hospital in Woking.