Karen Elliott Reg MBACP (Accredited)
Are you looking for someone to talk to about stress, anxiety, depression due to relationship or family issues, losses you have experienced, matters relating to your work life, things from the past, health conditions or there may be decisions you feel you want to make but are avoiding?
Sometimes we don’t understand what we are feeling or where our worries and anxieties come from, this can mean we experience stress and negative thoughts, which won’t go away. This in turn can lead to low mood and depression.
Taking the step of talking about issues can be really hard. Counselling is a place where you can talk to someone who is an ethical and a trained professional and where you can explore your world at your own pace. It provides an opportunity for you to talk about things you would not normally talk about in every day life in a confidential and safe place where you are not judged. If this is something that you are looking for then I am here to support you through that process.
The support I offer can help you to benefit in the following ways:
* Learn new ways to cope with stress, anxiety and depression
* Feel more self confident
* Become more assertive
* Improve your communication skills
* Understand more about loss and bereavement
* Turn negative thinking patterns into positive ones
* Be better able to trust your own judgement
* Manage anger
* Have a greater understanding of yourself and what your goals are
I came into counselling myself because I wanted to make a positive difference to people’s lives and over the last 12 years I have worked in many different settings. I counsel adults, young people and children and I know, from my own experience, how effective counselling is and how it changed me. I believe that, whatever walk of life you are from, talking things through can help you to find ways to cope with bad times or emotional problems and that you can be supported to find your own answers to problems.
My work with children and young people involves creating an informal, relaxed, safe place to explore issues and feelings that have a negative effect on behaviours. This may involve using talking therapies or other creative methods such as art or play.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Advanced Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling
- Diploma in Counselling Children and Young People
- Certificate in Brief Interventions Practice and Theory
- Certificate in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector
- Certificate in Couples Counselling
- Working with Domestic Violence and Abuse
- Understanding Anxiety, Depression and CBT
- Understanding Trauma
- Mindfulness for Wellbeing and Peak Performance
- Bereavement by Suicide
- Loss and Bereavement
- Confidence and Self Esteem - Developing Assertiveness Skills
- Working with Sexual Issues
- Understanding and Stopping Addictive behaviour
- Working with Lesbian, Gay and Bi-sexual Young People
- Understanding Specific Learning Difficulties
- Safeguarding - Awareness of Child Abuse and Neglect
As well as my private practice, I work as a School Counsellor and as a volunteer in a charitable organisation specialising in Domestic and Sexual Abuse. I draw on the many skills I have and use evidence based counselling theories in order to tailor the service to meet your individual needs.
I am an accredited member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). My Practice is compliant with the BACP ethical standards for Counselling and Psychotherapy. I hold full Indemnity Insurance and a current DBS check.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
- Existential therapy
One to one counselling £40 (up to one hour)
Couples counselling £55 (up to one hour)
The first meeting is a no obligation meting for you to think about whether you are ready to explore your issue and what you would like to achieve in counselling, as well as finding out if I am the right person for you to work with.
I am a registered practitioner with BUPA, please copy the link below:-
Enquiries welcomed from EAP providers.
I work from a Therapy room which is easily accessible from Doncaster town centre. There is parking available outside the centre and there is a regular bus service.
I offer a service which is flexible and client led so I offer appointments during the day time, evening.
If negative thoughts are holding you back and and you want to make a positive change, call me on 07969 427502 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will endeavour to contact you within 24 hours.
Thank you for reading my profile!
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer flexible appointments during the day time, evening and where possible at a weekend.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|