Justin Lee Slaughter. PG Dip. MBACP. Humanistic Integrative Counsellor.
Brighton Consulting Rooms
18a Clermont Road
The Wilbury Clinic
64 Wilbury Road
Firstly a warm Hello my name is Justin. I am in my late 30’s, I have been practising in Brighton since 2013 in both the voluntary and private sectors. I manage a successful and established counselling practice.
It is important you find the right counsellor for you. Be assured I will endeavour to work with you in the best way possible. So do take the time to read through my profile or look through my website pages.
I am insured and a registered counsellor with the BACP I work within the BACP's ethical framework for counselling and psychotherapy.
What brings you to counselling?
I have a broad range of experience in counselling. Working with a wide variety of issues.
It could be that your personal relationships are not working out as you would like them to.
You may be feeling; stressed, anxious, confused, angry, aggressive, sad or lonely. Or even that you are not feeling very good or confident about yourself.
You may have been or are currently a victim of bullying.
You may have suffered a loss or bereavement or have suicidal thoughts and self harming tendencies. You may be low in mood, depressed and wanting to make better sense of yourself and the experiences you have had or are having.
You may struggle with addictive behaviours, which include: drug abuse, gambling or sexual addictions.
You may struggle with isssues around sexuality, sexual identity, sex and your sense of self.
You may have difficulty with managing your thoughts and feelings or the experiences you have had or are having.
You may struggle with the way you relate to others and yourself.
You may have experienced or are experiencing Trauma and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). You may be a survivor of childhood abuse (CA) Or have been in or reside in an abusive relationship.
Conversely you may not be feeling vulnerable, or be affected by poor mental health and wellbeing. You may wish to seek a better understanding of yourself, a place to think things through. To 'float' ideas around with a professional.
Contact me with any questions or queries via email or phone.
The way I work and what you can expect
- I listen to you with empathy, I seek to understand, to accept and to respect where you have been, where you may go and where you are now.
- I offer a reflective relationship that is considerate and sensitive of your needs as they present themselves.
- I see the work as a collaborative process between you and I.
- Listening to you and the change you want to create. In that vein we may well think about various solutions, strategies or approaches in working with a wide variety of issues.
- Always working with your needs and experiences, going at a pace that you feel is necessary.
I offer an environment of:
As well as a place for appropriate challenge.
- The therapeutic relationship is an important agent of healing and change and I invite you to work in a present tense, a place in which you can explore the past, realise its impact on now and also look at future possibilities.
- An explorative, supportive and reflective opportunity to increase your sense of self, gain better understanding, self awareness and emotional competence. So that you may go forward and live your life more fully.
Counselling and Psychotherapy offer a whole range of ways in which to explore and express your inner subjective world. I value working creatively and I may at times invite you to work with various creative media, such as keeping a journal, creating pictures, creative writing, working with figures, objects and sandtray work or experiment with new ways of being in the therapeutic session.
I call myself a Humanistic Integrative Therapist as I draw upon and integrate a variety of approaches under the humanistic umbrella, which include: T.A, Gestalt, Existential, Solution Focused Brief Therapy and Person Centred ways of working. I also utilise creative, body- orientated and narrative approaches in a way that best fits you as an individual. I also draw upon other approaches, seeing that all approaches in counselling and psychotherapy share connections.
I have a broad range of experience in mental health services, in the health care sector as well as a varied experience as a counsellor.
A little bit more...
I attend regular supervision, I am committed to my own personal development as a Counsellor and attend regular CPD events and workshops throughout the year. I have experience of working within a number of charitable organisations as a counsellor.
Additionally I can offer Skype counselling to those who work various shift patterns and who live further afield than Brighton or Hove.
Training, qualifications & experience
Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy Practice - BathSpa University
Professional Diploma: Humanistic Counselling- University of Chichester
Health Studies- University of Brighton
Certificate in Counselling Skills and Theory NCFE
Certificate in Counselling Skills CPCAB
Certificate in Initial Counselling Skills CPCAB
Sociology and Social Psyhcology - University of Sussex
Psychology Theory and Intuition
Society and Gender
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
I charge £35’s - 50’s an hour depending upon an individuals ability to pay.
£25 to 30’s for counselling students in training.
£20-25’s concessionary rates for those on a lower income.
This can be discussed when we meet.
- On depression
- Talking about suicide
- Masculinity, suicide and mental health
- Time, too much or too little
- A brief neuropsychology of PTSD
- A phase orientated approach to working with trauma
- Working with trauma
- LGBT mental health
- Sexual orientation
- Working with anger and aggression
- A view on relationships
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Available weekdays/some afternoons/ some evenings and saturday mornings
Types of client