Justin Iles - BA (Hons), Reg. MBACP, Integrative Counsellor
With me, counselling is about offering a safe and warm place for you to come and share the more difficult aspects of your life that perhaps you are unable to share with others. Sometimes difficult emotions or memories can seem just too big to cope with by yourself and the act of talking them through with someone else can make all the difference and create a bit more breathing space.
Throughout my clinical experience I have adopted various psychological tools such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Prolonged Exposure Therapy (PE), Transactional Analysis (TA) and clinical mindfulness (MBCT). Some people find these tools extremely valuable in helping them break free from old habits and live with more openness and peace. It may be that right now you just need someone to listen without judgement or advice.
Human suffering comes in many forms; reasons for someone to come for counselling may include: depression, loneliness, anxiety, low self-esteem, stress, bereavement, relationship difficulties (including our relationship with food), addiction, self-injury and suicidal thoughts. I have undergone specialist training in working with trauma and have helped people with experiences such as childhood abuse, bullying and terrorist bombings – trauma can have such a debilitating effect on us and can prevent us from living full and meaningful lives. No matter the cause of the trauma, it affects the brain in a similar way and relief generally comes through moving the traumatic memory into normal long term memory. By actively working through the trauma, a new possibility of the future unfolds. As the Desiderata wisely says: "With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be brave, strive to be happy."
I work with adults, couples, teenagers and children age 6+. The way I work will depend largely on your age and the issues you are facing. This may include: talking therapy, play therapy, mindfulness and relaxation or tools such as cognitive behavioural therapy. Our work together will be a collaborative effort and I will be guided by what feels right to you.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BA (hons) in Counselling - University of Hull
- Advanced diploma (with distinction) in counselling (level 5)
- Diploma (with distinction) in Counselling children and adolescents
- Diploma (with distinction) in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Certificate in Counselling Adult survivors of sexual abuse – 3 day workshop (15 hours) – Understanding sexual abuse, Dissociative identity disorder, false/repressed memory as a result of extreme trauma
- Certificate in working with PTSD and Complex Trauma – 3 day workshop (15 hours)
- Sexual Abuse and Trauma - 2 day workshop (13 hours) - Zoe Lodrick
- Prolonged Exposure Therapy for PTSD (4 days, 32 hours) - University of Pennsylvania
- STOPSO Foundation course in working with sex offenders (3 days, 15 hours)
- Trauma Sensitive Mindfulness - (12 hours) - Oxford Mindfulness Centre
- The Art of Existential Psychotherapy - Irvin Yalom - (8 hours)
- Diploma in Jungian Archetypes - (15 hours)
- Mindfulness teacher training level 1 - (8 days, 60 hours)
- MBCT Specialist training for depression - 5 days (50 hours)
- Yoga Alliance Breath Coach Training - (15 hours)
- Dot B, Mindfulness in schools teacher (age 11-18) – 4 days (32 hours)
- Paws B, Mindfulness in primary schools (age 7-11) - 3 days (24 hours)
- Over 12,000 hours of meditation experience including over 2 years on silent retreat
- 3 years working for the counselling charity, CASY, in local primary and secondary schools
- Compassion Focussed Therapy - Paul Gilbert - 2 hour lecture
- Working with Bereavement - BACP - 8 hour course
- Working with Porn addiction - BACP
- Underlying causes of addiction - BACP
- Working with Sugar addiction - BACP
- Working with anger – day course with Josh Chandler
- Understanding Self-harm – day course with Nicola Wickstead
- Working with suicide and suicidal ideation – day course with Antonia Murphy
- Certificate in safeguarding young people – day course with CASY Newark
- Working with children and young people – day course with Katy Roberts
- Play therapy – day course with Dr Virginia Ryan
- Drama therapy – 3 day course (12 hours) with Emily Rhodes
- Understanding Autism - NCFE 2
- Principles of dementia - NCFE 2
- End of life care - NCFE 3
- Nutrition, health and eating disorders - NCFE 2
- Epilepsy Awareness - Linkage - (3 hours)
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£40.00 per session
Individuals - £40 per hour
Couples - £40 per hour
Payment by cash, card, bank transfer or apple/samsung pay
Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays face to face
Wednesdays and Fridays via Zoom or phone