Julie Wales Dip Couns MBACP
Battledown Centre For Children & Families
0741 265 1894
I am an empathic person and counsellor offering a professional, warm approach helping families coping with special needs or otherwise to improve their relationships and family life. I offer a specialist and unique counselling service for CARERS in Cheltenham. I am an Integrative Counsellor who can draw on life experience as a parent carer and counselling experience working with many parents and carers. I use a common sense approach and simple straight forward talking and planning to help carers in their caring role and find a positive outcome for them.
Counselling can be a particular source of help around the time of any diagnosis of special need or illness, transition or change happening, or when you feel overwhelmed and family and friends are too close to tell. You may need space and time to acknowledge you are an individual as well as a parent or carer. Parents, carers and siblings who are caring for someone with special needs or illness will benefit from talking to me.
Feeling really listened to will relieve stress. By telling your story we can work together helping you move forward, feeling more able to cope with your caring role, and look at choices and action plan any changes you wish to make.
Helping families with a variety of issues including:
- Caring role, e.g. young carers.
- Child disability & Impact on child and the whole family.
- Caring for a dependent relative.
- Low self-esteem.
- Family life.
- Bullying/struggling with school,
- Couples counselling.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Diploma in Integrative Counselling (NCFE) gained at Stroud College.
- Certificates in Counselling Studies & Skills.
- Member of the British Associationof Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP) and works within the BACP’s strict Ethical Framework for Good Practice.
- Helping to run, family support & counselling for a Special Needs Family Support Group (CADCAF).
- Children & Young People with Disabilities Safeguarding Board Certificate.
- A Parents/Carers Guide to Special Educational Needs (NOCN).
- Gloucestershire Total Communication Certificate.
- It Takes Two to Talk - The Hanen training Program.
- Makaton Sign Language.
Benefits to the client
- Counselling parents supports the whole family and helps to adapt and adjust to disability.
- I have personal experience of caring for special needs children.
- Counselling for parents & carers offers a much deeper understanding and specialist service than a general counsellor, without this unique life experience.
- Confidence and self-esteem improved.
- Working with the clients past and helping to heal their future and move on.
- Relaxation techniques & art therapy.
- Integrative counsellor, using different counselling skills for different issues and different people, e.g. Humanistic/Person-Centred, Cognitive Behavioural, Psychodynamic.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Counselling service for Parents and Carers caring for sick, special needs or dependent relative.
- Individuals: £40 per 1 hour session.
- Teenagers: £40 for 45 minute session.
- Couples: £60 per 1 hour session.
- Families: Between £60 & £80 for a group of up to 4 people. To be discussed.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday & Friday - Daytime Appointments Tues, Wed & Thursday - Appointments after 4pm.
Types of client