Dr Julie Smith DClinPsy CPsychol BSc (Hons)
I am Dr Julie Smith, a Clinical Psychologist, chartered by the British Psychological Society (BPS) and registered with the Health Care Professions Council (HCPC). In over a decade of NHS service I have worked with people of all ages providing treatments for the full spectrum of mental health problems. Now in independent practice I aim to make the best evidence-based psychological therapies easily accessible to my local community.
All of us meet times in life when we could do with some extra support to get us through. Working with a Clinical Psychologist ensures you get the best quality support. Extensive clinical training in a range of psychological therapies means that we have a wide variety of tools at our disposal with which to help you move forward to the life that you want. Therapy can be tailored to suit the unique needs of each individual.
I understand that finding the right therapist can be daunting. That is why I offer a free telephone consultation to anyone interested in beginning therapy, this is to enable us to discuss some of the difficulties you might be experiencing and establish whether a full assessment for therapy is deemed appropriate. It gives you the chance to talk with me and ask about what therapy is really like. Most people find that this helps them to feel reassured about coming to the first appointment. Following the first consultation there is no obligation to book any further appointments. I am committed to high quality, evidence based treatments. After a full assessment, if I believe that your needs would be best met by a different therapist then I will endeavour to help you find a therapist who is highly qualified and registered with the appropriate governing bodies.
Training, qualifications & experience
Core Professional Training and Registrations
- DClinPsy Doctorate in Clinical Psychology from the University of Southampton 2010.
- BSc (Hons) 1st Bachelor of Science in Psychology from the University of Exeter 2005.
- CPsychol Chartered Membership of the British Psychological Society (BPS), number 290449.
- HCPC registered Practitioner Psychologist, registration number PYL25997.
- BABCP non-accredited member of the British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy (BABCP).
Some Examples of Further Training
- Compassion focused Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for shame based trauma - Deborah Lee
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) - Joseph Oliver
- Motivational Interviewing (MI) and Motivational Interviewing Treatment Integrity Scale (MITI)
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) - Dr Maggie Stanton
- Post Traumatic Growth (PTG) following trauma and traumatic bereavement - Stephen Regal OBE
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sexual abuse
- Work-related stress
Telephone consultation is free.
Full assessment appointment takes 90 minutes at a cost of £150.
Therapy sessions last for 1 hour and are charged at £90. These fees are inclusive of all administration and letter writing that may be required.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|