Julie Jakeman - Masters in Counselling Children and Young People MBACP.
I am known as Jules and I love working with children and young people. I think that one of my best qualities is to make them feel safe and that they can trust me.
What to expect in the first session
My initial sessions with children and young people is built on getting to know through creative interventions. Young children can invite the parents/carers to join us for the first half an hour if the child would like this.
What age group do I work with
I counsel children and young people from the ages of 5 years to 26 years. Children and young people do not always have the words to express their emotions and I work in a creative way with toys, sand, clay, drawings, music and many more therapeutic interventions to encourage children to express themselves. Having worked in a school environment for the last 9 years I have realised the importance of having a place where children can go to feel safe.
Where did I study
I studied for my Masters in Counselling Children and Young People at Nottingham University and graduated with Merit in Person Centred Experiential Counselling. I worked for the Place2Be, which focuses on counselling children in primary schools. I also worked with children and Young People at the RSVP in Birmingham who had been raped and sexually abused. I integrate Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Psychoeducation in my way of working.
What issues do I work with
I work with children with PTSD, trauma, CSA, witnessing domestic violence, divorce/separations, confusion of emotions/feelings, bereavement, anxiety, OCD, low self esteem and confidence, identity issues, confusion over sexual orientation. Sometimes as parents we may not know what is upsetting our child. Therapy is a place where I can help explore with the child what is troubling them.
I am a member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy and adhere to their ethics and guidelines.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Masters in Counselling Children and Young People - Nottingham University
- AQA Level 4 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling - Worcester College of Technology
- Certificate in Counselling Skills - Worcester College of Technology
- Awareness in Bereavement Care - Foundation Course - Cruse Bereavement Care
- Place2Be - Induction and Safeguarding Training
- Place2Be - Working with difference and Diversity
- Place"Be - Children's Emotional Wellbeing
- Safeguarding Children - e-learning course
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
- Trauma in Adults - Acute and Complex
- Young Minds - Building Adolescent Resilience
- Beat training for Eating Disorders
- Rewind Technique for trauma
- Emotional Freedom Technique
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Child related issues
- Childhood bullying
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sexual abuse
Photos & videos
If you would like to talk to me, please do not hesitate to phone or email me, without obligation or fee.
Sessions cost £45 per 50-minute session.
An initial assessment would cost £45.00.
My therapy rooms are situated in a tranquil setting overlooking fields. I have a large play therapy room and a sensory room. Most young people like the feel of the room as it feels less clinical to them.
I am located in Upton-upon-Severn which is 15 minutes from Tewkesbury and 20 minutes from Cheltenham. I am approximately 20 minutes from Worcestershire.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Please ring me to discuss my availability
Types of client